How do you practice in the winter?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
mangosandy82

How do you practice in the winter?

Post by mangosandy82 »

It's cold, and it snows. You're cooped up because of the snow. I don't usually go out too much in the winter because it's cold. I still am thinking about getting back into Wicca. I think about it sometimes and miss it. But how can I practice in the winter when it's cold and snowy? How can I hide it from my parents? The only real privacy I have is my journal so I could probably start there. Maybe buy a journal for just rituals and spells etc. I'll keep thinking about this and study some more but I feel like I know everything about it. I feel like I maybe missing some information. Is there more to Wicca then just celebrating earth or is that it?
Siona

Re: How do you practice in the winter?

Post by Siona »

It's nice to practice outside, but it's not necessary. If it's too cold for you to go out for very long, you can always take up some indoor practices which don't have to be obvious to others. Things like yoga, meditation, dream work, and prayer. You could also take up a hobby that has spiritual links, such as weaving, knitting, baking, candle making. There are many ways to celebrate the earth and grow spiritually that don't necessarily have to take place outside. It all depends on what you want from your path.
Becks

Post by Becks »

There is more.

The cold and snow is an important part of the cycle. It's as important as any other part of the year.

Go through the threads and look at others that are dealing with practicing in ways that aren't so obvious. I know there are many examples of things you can do with intention that don't outwardly look "witchy".

Some examples might be: making teas with blended herbs, making soaps, lighting a candle, doing laundry, cooking with intention and using ingredients and herbs, writing, making small art projects, reading online, studying and engaging in small personal rituals.
Becks

Post by Becks »

Siona wrote:It's nice to practice outside, but it's not necessary. If it's too cold for you to go out for very long, you can always take up some indoor practices which don't have to be obvious to others. Things like yoga, meditation, dream work, and prayer. You could also take up a hobby that has spiritual links, such as weaving, knitting, baking, candle making. There are many ways to celebrate the earth and grow spiritually that don't necessarily have to take place outside. It all depends on what you want from your path.
Exactly....haha similar thinking.
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Or just gazing out the window... into the snow or the moonlit night. Introverted like nature around you.
Another nit so obvious hobby would be collecting gems or planting hervs on you windowsill.
Making dream /protection/ wish sachets using colour and herbs.
BB

Blue Moon
mangosandy82

Post by mangosandy82 »

These are all great ideas. Thank you all.
Jenny Crow

Post by Jenny Crow »

There's lots more! I would suggest meditating, reading books on Wicca; learning how to raise and work with energy. Learn how to cast a circle (even if you don't actually cast one you need to know how to do it). Learn what the Sabbats mean and the myths behind them. Learn on line about full moon rituals. Read books on mythology (your parents wouldn't mind that, surely, to find out what pantheon you're attracted to). Join a Wiccan forum or group on-line..... lots more but that's a start.....
wildflower

Post by wildflower »

Wicca was kind of the springboard that introduced me to the world. I was interested in paganism, so I started reading about ancient paganism, myths and legends, ancient history and culture, ancient philosophy, and I even took a pagan pilgrimage to Egypt, Greece, and the UK. I delved into my own ancestry and family history, and got more interested in foreign languages and recipes. I got into gardening and foraging, started raising my own herbs indoors, and tried to learn the names of all the types of trees and wildflowers that grow in my area. I learned about astronomy and science. I studied other paths, everything from chaos magic to shamanism to eastern religions. I even got interested in poetry, music, art and literature, and it really sparked my creative side. I discovered that I loved writing, and I enjoyed it more than wasting time watching television. So yes, there's plenty to do during the winter months!

But more than anything, I think the point of any spiritual path is self mastery. The winter months are a time to turn inward, to take stock of what you've learned, and what you still need to work on. They can be a time of great inner growth. It's a perfect time to remember that Divinity is not just "out there." Divinity also exists within you, so it's good to take some time to honor that.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

So much you can do inside.

I find Winter a time to really look within. As Mother Nature is a state of hibernation, its the perfect time to really look within. Meditation, studying, journaling, etc.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I used to just dress warm and go tromping through fields and into the woods through the snow. Nature has an entirely different face in winter, when it is at rest.Now, I must use a cane to walk with and ice and snow are hazardous to my dignity. So, I work indoors, on craft projects, updating my BOS, and finishing household tasks I've put off. We are part of Nature and Her cycles.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Winter is coming on so I thought I'd bring this back to the top for more input by everyone.
.Has anyone tried casting a snow-circle? Me neither.
.The winter night sky is brighter than when the weather is moist and warm. My binoculars fog over from my breath. Stars seem bigger, closer. Night sky viewing is part of my ritual.
.Snow angels are a must!
.I browse my cheap, spiral notebook from the past year to see what might be worth transferring to my BOS.
.I definitely make an effort to greet the Sun because I see it so seldom under winter overcast skies.
. Coloring mandalas from preprinted coloring books is good mind relaxation and can be used as a spell with elemental colors.
Siona

Post by Siona »

SpiritTalker wrote:Winter is coming on so I thought I'd bring this back to the top for more input by everyone.
.Has anyone tried a snow-circle? Me neither.
I build an outdoor altar this spring, and I've been waiting for winter to roll around partially for this reason. Also, clear jars sunk into the snow with lit candles in them look amazing. (Some use ice, or even ice dyed with food coloring.) We usually don't have much snow for Yule, but I think Imbolc is going to be a very interesting ritual this year...

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”