Should I come out of the Broom closet?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Ivy Amethyst

Should I come out of the Broom closet?

Post by Ivy Amethyst »

I'm just barely 18 and I have practiced wicca for years in secret. The problem is I live with my parents and I have had to hide it for ages (e.g hiding tarot card parcels and pretending that my crystals are just an interest)
I hate lying and I want to tell them however I am terrified because around 2 years ago I came out as bisexual. Now they are both not religious and had no reason to be angry however they reacted worse than I have seen some catholics react. For months they just shouted and argued with me saying I ruined the family and I feel like bisexuality isn't as much of a shock as telling them I am Wiccan will be. Advice?
Siona

Re: Should I come out of the Broom closet?

Post by Siona »

If you want to tell them, I would wait until you're living on your own and able to support yourself on your own. It would be much easier to do it then, and do it on your own terms, with your own safe space where you can go to get out of an argument, than going through another possible episode like before. Especially since you are now 18, if there is any fear they might react so badly that they might kick you out.

That said, who knows, when you tell them perhaps they will not react badly at all - I hope that is the case.
EtherealMoonRose
Banned Member

Post by EtherealMoonRose »

Well, they already think you've ruined the family so what do you have to lose ;-)

But seriously. I would wait. Like Siona said until you have moved out.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night"
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I would wait until you have your own safe haven. Ideally, parents and family will be supportive of one another. Real life doesn't always work that way.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Wait. If they cannot handle bisexuality, the chances of them taking your being a Wiccan well are not great. Some people's parents throw them out on the street. Some react with violence. Wait. Finish your education if you are still in school. Get a job that you can support yourself with, and get your own place. Then, if it is still important to you to share with your family, you can do so with greater safety.
Myrth
Wandering Warlock

Post by Wandering Warlock »

While your parents are providing a safety net for you (a place to live), is hiding who you are worth it? Well maybe it is, as I really don't know your situation.

When living in someone else's home, you are obliged to obey their rules when it comes to your actions and possessions... though your thoughts will always be your own. And no matter what, you are not obliged to lie about your beliefs. Keep silent, perhaps, but not lie.

I would advise to plan well, at any rate... though I must say I personally liked what EtherealMoonRose said.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

No one can prevent worship in your mind and heart.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”