Magic isn't a shortcut!

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
HopefulChild

Magic isn't a shortcut!

Post by HopefulChild »

I was contemplating my own feelings about magic, and how to manage my expectations and making an effort to remind myself that short term "want" is not the same as manifesting change, or distilling a result.

That is when an analogy started to build.

Life is a highway..(thank you Rascal Flatts) You are driving it ...all night long.

So is everyone else. No matter what we all believe in individually inside our own cars, we are all still driving in the same direction through life.

So if I am driving in my lane - call me, Car A - and I decide that I really want a cheeseburger so I do my ritual, cast a spell to obtain a cheeseburger and I keep driving....and nothing happens. An hour or so goes by and I suddenly notice that there is no cheeseburger. No cheeseburger has appeared inside my car within my reach so that I can just have what I want. And I'm disappointed, and let down, and my faith in casting spells is shaken or broken.

There is another person driving in, Car B...This person had a similar idea about a cheeseburger at the same time I did. Car B is in a lane next to mine, going about the same speed. the driver of Car B didn't just want a cheeseburger, cast a spell, and wait. Car B spent the same amount of time I spent waiting for my cheeseburger to appear out of thin air...just thinking about all of the elements they wanted to come together to make one really great cheeseburger. They considered all of the components of the cheeseburger, from colors, and smells to textures and ingredients, and how it would be served and what they would want to know about that cheeseburger. And when they had really thought about all of the aspects of that cheeseburger, being an EVENT in their life, and not just a thing they wanted, they cast a spell.
And then for the next hour they kept thinking about all the things that would have to come together in proper order for that cheeseburger to be theirs. They didn't stop driving, they didn't stop living to focus on a cheeseburger to the exclusion of all else. But they did keep adding the cheeseburger into their thoughts about how the day was going, what they needed to do tomorrow and in as many ways as they could, keep at least some part of that spell active in their mind.

Without warning the driver of Car B, notices a butterfly bounce off the windshield of their car. Not so violently that it was obviously killed, but the poor thing really thumped the glass. Oddly enough the dust from the butterflies wings, looks like a vague approximation of their spelled for cheeseburger and while looking at the smudge they notice in the distance a sign for a diner. They quickly check traffic, and get over so that if an exit ramp is near they can take the ramp to that diner...cause the diner sign had a beautiful image of a cheeseburger. Sure enough within a mile there is a sign for an exit ramp. Within another mile they take the ramp and while there are no signs for the diner on the exit ramps, there is a handmade sign on the other side of the road with the Diner name and an Arrow. They drive until they see the diner and they pull in and order a cheeseburger and fries. They talk to the waitress about how excited they are, and what a neat little place this diner is all tucked away and secret. The cheeseburger...is perfect. It's just what they had wanted. And the waitress is so amused by the conversation that she tells the driver of Car B that the meal is on the house. They were about to close anyway, and those burgers were already cooking when Driver B walked in the door. So win win.

Magic isn't a shortcut.
Magic is actually the long way round in all instances, all the time. You have to come to terms with the idea that you aren't simply asking for something and then patiently waiting for it to materialize in your hands.
Magic is the mechanics or putting into motion, the energy, and effort that is needed so that the larger design can slowly but surely bend and rotate, and puzzle it's way round to lining up all the events and people and places needed so that you get what you had set your spell on.

If your focus changes ten minutes after you cast a spell..well....then there will never be a tiny gust of wind, to push the butterfly in front of your windshield at just the right time so that you see the sign for the diner that makes your idea of the perfect cheeseburger.

Why is it assumed that the long way round is more boring, or more tedious?

Just my opinion.
And some food for thought.
Don't judge me for my puns...I can't help it.
hermitage

Re: Magic isn't a shortcut!

Post by hermitage »

Hello Hopefulchild,
I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this matter.
I found it to be very uplifting and inspiring. Especially during those times of anxiety, waiting for a desire to manifest.Today even, I found myself thinking -- "perhaps this spell isn't working, I am delusional. I got to give up all of this". It had officially been 1 month since I had a cast spell from the new moon of December and I was puzzled why things weren't perfect already. I wanted to give up. Reading this article of yours is no coincidence then. :-)

One point you'd mentioned that I found interesting; "They didn't stop driving, they didn't stop living to focus on a cheeseburger to the exclusion of all else. But they did keep adding the cheeseburger into their thoughts about how the day was going, what they needed to do tomorrow and in as many ways as they could, keep at least some part of that spell active in their mind."

I was taught that after a spell is set you need to forget it. Or in other words, the more you dwell on a spell which is cast, the longer it takes to manifest. Here you're saying that while you continue to live your life you are still affording time daily to think about the object of your spell positively.

What would be your view on this?

Thanks for taking the time to write. Again, I enjoyed this very much.
Vendredi

Post by Vendredi »

Thanks for that, HopefulChild. Great images.

I approach my workings the same way. Keep feeding your goal, and you'll find your goal and your reality have merged.

I watched a video once, about (well, all kinds of things, really but) the multiple universe theory. How it's possible to go from where you are, World A, to World J where you wanna go, but it's a process involving Worlds B-I as well. How to get there, you must keep your eye on the prize, so to speak. Interesting stuff that made a lot of sense to me.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

hermitage wrote:
I was taught that after a spell is set you need to forget it. Or in other words, the more you dwell on a spell which is cast, the longer it takes to manifest. Here you're saying that while you continue to live your life you are still affording time daily to think about the object of your spell positively.

I don't know what his view on it is, but here is mine:
I refer to spells as a "set it and forget it," kind of deal as well, but at the same time I am totally agreeing with hopeful.

For example, let's say I have had a lot of financial hardship and I want to cast a prosperity spell. I can't just sit criss-cross-applesauce on my bed after the spell waiting for the phone to ring and my boss to say, you got $10 dollar an hour raise, followed by my creditor's calling me saying "dude, we totally got you.. Credit card debt gone." I can't just dwell on that spell to work for me... So I walk away from it but leave myself open to all possibilities.
Leaving myself open results in me picking up on ways I could save money, meeting people for side jobs where I can make more money, leading me to a financial advisor full of wonderful advice... all of this while reminding myself of my goal.

Also, after reading this I'm super hungry.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
hermitage

Post by hermitage »

That's a very good way to put it.
Do you find things tend to happen within 3 moons or before/after?

smogie_michele wrote:
hermitage wrote:

I don't know what his view on it is, but here is mine:
I refer to spells as a "set it and forget it," kind of deal as well, but at the same time I am totally agreeing with hopeful.

For example, let's say I have had a lot of financial hardship and I want to cast a prosperity spell. I can't just sit criss-cross-applesauce on my bed after the spell waiting for the phone to ring and my boss to say, you got $10 dollar an hour raise, followed by my creditor's calling me saying "dude, we totally got you.. Credit card debt gone." I can't just dwell on that spell to work for me... So I walk away from it but leave myself open to all possibilities.
Leaving myself open results in me picking up on ways I could save money, meeting people for side jobs where I can make more money, leading me to a financial advisor full of wonderful advice... all of this while reminding myself of my goal.

Also, after reading this I'm super hungry.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

Thanks for reading.

Everything I have studied about ritual magic including now the new and improved sigil and rune crafting comes down to Energy vs Effect vs Time.

Think of it like a Rocket.

You want a toy rocket the size of a thimble, to fly from your Couch, to your Television. That's about 12 feet on average. That rocket needs X amount of fuel if you want to "set it and forget it"... You provide the fuel by focus, and ritual, and possibly by petitioning outside forces to give some fuel to your rocket. Once you light the fuse, you sit back and wait for it to reach it's destination.

If you want to make that Rocket 500 times larger, and you want it to fly from your couch, to Los Angeles, (I live on the eastern side of the US so my house to LA is a long trip indeed) then you are going to need XXXXXXXXXX*X amount of fuel if you want to "set it and forget it". You also need to plan it's flight path..with the knowledge that unexpected events take place, and bad weather events. So you have to be exceptional at long term planning and prediction as well right?

In general that is what the ritual component of magic is for. The ritual helps focus your mind, and will, and set your intent, and it is the focal point for the petitioning of outside sources to add energy to your spell. Setting a circle being the most simple component of ritual magic. The circle is a mental,spiritual, and metaphysical barrier meant to prevent energy "leak". Do you have to have it? No of course not. You don't have to have a parachute to sky dive either.
But the results of the endeavor can be drastically different, and ...less repeatable.

So if you want to "change your life"....what does that encompass? How many individual elements have to be pushed, pulled, and influenced across how much space and how much time, so that you would feel as though your life was really changed?

If you are going to "set it and forget it"...then you have to make sure that ALL of the energy required to accomplish it is supplied when it is released. Yes? All of the guidance and planning has to be in place when you light the fuse right?

If you aren't supplying the energy to get the tasks done, then how can the spell work? If you aren't making it happen and manifesting your will into the physical world, then what you are really doing, is making an elaborate wish.
And I've never met anyone magic user or no, who bases their life on wishes coming true.

So if you aren't collecting, storing, then supplying the energy for your spell, where do you expect the energy to come from?
AH, that is the petitioning aspect right. You may be asking your deity, or your ancestors, or the universe as a whole.

There is no simple or polite way to put this, but, if you are asking a favor...in general it is expected that a favor be returned. It's just polite right? So in your ritual are you supplying a return favor? A promise? An empty promise? A sacrifice or offering?

If you ask your ancestors for help, are you guilty of just showing up out of the blue, asking them to move the heavens and earth for your benefit and then forgetting them again?
How would that work right now? Could you show up at your Aunts house, or your Cousins house and ask them to pay off your debts, buy you a car, and make the guy/girl in the parts department take you out on a date with a wild night in bed to follow?
What would they say if you showed up unexpected asking them to change your life for you?

If you aren't asking another entity to supply or add to your energy then perhaps you are borrowing surplus energy from the elements? Drawing down the moon, and calling the corners, and borrowing energy in that way.
But borrowing is different than taking. Borrowing requires that the energy be returned or that an equivalent exchange be made. If you borrow from the elements and the moon, plant sunflowers and let them go to seed and then cut the heads off and set them out for the birds and animals and bugs. Make a bonfire in January and place offerings into it that you have invested energy in as a way to supply or give back, right?

So I've tried to look at the other avenues of obtaining and distributing energy.

Now imagine you can connect a fuel hose to your rocket...and supply a little more fuel each day of the trip. In that way you can maintain the trip and on days when you have more time or more focus, you will supply a boost in fuel, or extra fuel, or Course correction information to the rockets GPS by small incremental adjustments instead of planning the entire trip with wiggle room for unexpected events and weather before you even light the fuse on a "set it and forget it" spell.

Also how different would it be if you were calling your Aunt, or Cousin every week and simply telling them how your week is going....then ASKING THEM about their week, (this is the exchange part) and then asking if they had any advice for you?

How would that be different compared to showing up out of the blue and asking them to give you things versus calling them once a week and asking their opinion and finding out if they have ever been in a similar situation and finding out what they did when it happened to them.

How might it work if you spend a little time each month GIVING to the elements, and the spirits, and the moon without asking for anything?

Another thing to consider is Covens. Many witches believe you have to be in a coven if you want to effect real change in the world. That is as simple as the idea of community. Any community of people can accomplish tasks much bigger and much faster than an isolated individual can on their own.

One man did not stand up all those rocks at Stone Hinge. A Pharaoh did not build a pyramid.

If you go back to the 15'th century and the individuals who were studying Aggripa and attempting to modernize his spells to commune with the dead, they decided that a minimum of 2 skilled individuals were required to summon and maintain a conversation with a spirit for multiple reasons. The simplest being that the magic circles Aggripa worked out to focus and control the energy and to contain the summoned spirit were very very complex and had to be constructed of powdered chalk and sand and salt. So two people making the circles was faster. Also one person acted as a focus and a beacon while the second person supplied energy through continuous chanting and concentration. If the individual in the circle was alone, then once the conversation with the spirit started, it could only last as long as the supply of energy that the practitioner had "stored up" in the circle before the spirit was summoned.

Which brings me to another aspect of ritual magic I've been on about for months and months now. Supplying a form of energy to spells and workings that is independent of the self. Spark. Electricity. Creating a spiritual battery that can be plugged in to spells and rituals to add extra juice or to maintain a spell once it is launched.
I'm still working on how to accomplish that. hehehe. I think just plugging something into the wall wouldn't work. While I'm ok with paying for electricity to do functional work like Keep my refrigerator cold, or making my food and water hot, I'm not sure using commercially supplied electricity would benefit a spell. But..I also don't know that it WON'T...

These are just my weird ideas by the way. Based on my interpretation of research.
In disclosure I've never crafted a spell that has "worked"...I've had experiences and things that have happened that were real and reinforced my ideas of how things work...but I'm no wizard. Not yet!!!
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights. I agree that one has to actively seek the change one wishes to make. A spell sets up the energies needed, but one cannot then just sit back and wait.

Once I learned Reiki, I began adding it to spellwork. The ki energy is channeled through you, which is all around us. I do Reiki daily. I have Reiki box where I keep crystals and the names of people, animals, places, and situations that need Reiki. And, with a spell that I think needs renewal energy, I will place it in my Reiki box as well. When I send Reiki to the Reiki box, it is with the intent that the energy go to each person, animal, place, situation, or spell that I have in there at the time.
Myrth
Wandering Warlock

Post by Wandering Warlock »

That was fun to read.

I think a big part of magic is perspective. If one employs magic as they do birthday wishes, in order to get or do "things" in their life, they certainly will not get very far. Like attracts like, in other words. As I view it, magic and ritual are decidedly spiritual acts, which concerns spirituality... not stuff. If you want stuff, you do stuff to get stuff. I agree that magic is certainly the long way around when it comes to the material. But not the spiritual.
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

For me, my focal points are healing (mind, body, spirit), and spiritual growth. I really don't do spells to get things. I do some work to influence situations, but not, for example, to try to get a free car. That's not how this works, in my experience or practice.
Myrth
hermitage

Post by hermitage »

There are all valid points and so my perspective is now, after a spell has been cast, continue to meditate on the spell; give it mental energy and get on with life with faith that the spell will manifest.

I had heard that lust for results would make the spell take longer to manifest. So they would say, cast your spell with full energy, have faith that it will manifest and get on with your day without lusting for the result.

Maybe this could be a separate topic, but maybe then it seems we are saying it's ok if you're thinking "when will my spell manifest?" so long as you're active daily feeding energy into that vision?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Magic is a tool, but like any tool, a certain amount of knowledge is required to use effectively. I liken adding energy to a spell, to stirring a simmering cauldron. Check on it. Make sure it's cooking the way you want it to. Don't stoke the fire too much, unless you want it to burn.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
EtherealMoonRose
Banned Member

Post by EtherealMoonRose »

Very well said hermitage and Snow.

Love your posts HopefulChild. Have you ever thought of starting a blog?
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night"
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I think the important thing that I really didn't address in my rambling is balance.

Again, just academically, I'm talking about the larger principle of putting something into motion without actively taking part in the mundane aspect of it.

A hurricane seems terribly unbalanced to the individual who is standing in the storm surge. The person who is 3 thousand miles away, doesn't even notice that there is a hurricane. They just notice how calm the sky seems to be that week, or two weeks leading up to the hurricane.

This isn't just the concept of perspective..it's the real and tangible idea that a hurricane is energy that has been stored up from all around the planet in wind currents and temperatures from surfaces and areas that the person being affected by the hurricane may never see, visit, or even know about. That ignorance isn't purposeful and it isn't shameful. But it also doesn't change the fact that a hurricane in one part of the world may be taking away the breeze you wanted so you could fly your kite in your part of the world.
Casting a little spell to kick up a breeze because you want to fly a kite...well...it has to go up against the active hurricane, and win, and then you get your breeze.

Since the inside of the atmosphere is a dependent system and a closed system, equal and opposite reactions effect everyone inside the system.

The other consideration is scale. Especially when considering time as a component of your magic. I don't even really know where to start on the subject of time as a component...I'm still working on that myself.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”