how do you tell if an animal is a familiar??

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
saianalyd

how do you tell if an animal is a familiar??

Post by saianalyd »

how do u tell if a pet is a familliar or if they just like you?
-lydia
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

Usually you can just tell. The animal is very attuned to you, also they may come around A LOT when you are preforming magicks. The familiar I once had (she lives with my cousin now) always came around when I was meditating or doing a spell. She was also very attuned to my feelings. When I was angry she stayed the hell away when I was sad she rubbed against me (which is very rare for her to do)
I cried the day my cousin took her.
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
gingerkitty

Post by gingerkitty »

Hi there, it seems to me that no matter what the creature, mine seems to be my cat “widow”or one of my ferrets that was given to me; both pets i never payed for & i guess that is how they become familiar & they just come to you.
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Syntax
moonlit

Post by moonlit »

My guess is just thatyou would just "know" lol

moonlit
**Nothing is set in stone**
Tianta

Post by Tianta »

I have wondered this for a while now as I have many pets...but never can really tell as I dont like keeping any loose when I do spells as I'm afraid of them knocking something over and/or setting stuff on fire!! LOL
Comus

Post by Comus »

I once had a mouse as a familiar. I just bought her because I wanted a mouse. By coincedence there was a witchy shop next to the pet shop and I needed some supplies so I took her in with me. As I was paying for my stuff the two ladies at the counter (both witches) looked in the box and exclaimed (at the same time) 'Oh what a sweetheart!'...which was kinda wierd and coincedental so I decided to name my mouse Sweetheart. It's a really nice name which suggests a loving heart, which is, in my mind one of the best hings to have. I must say that in the very short time that I was blessed with Sweetheart (she did not live long) I really felt pretty secure and happy in my craft and in harmony with nature. Caring for another creature is really rewarding.
Idz qaala
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Wolf Heart summed it up very nicely.
:D
Familiars are animals that choose you. You receive and give enregy to and from them. That energy assists you in your magical workings.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: how do you tell if an animal is a familiar??

Post by SpiritTalker »

Replying to an old post -

Traditionally the understanding of a familiar spirit has been that the spirit or fae appeared in the likeness of an animal, or sometimes as the spirit of a deceased human. The point here is familiars were spirits. They were not pets. Possibly a spirit could possess your beloved pet but think carefully before putting that burden on your best friend.
Helena64

Post by Helena64 »

Yeah, I wouldn't call for it, no matter how bad I'd want a familiar. I should try to check if my cat is one, as she's always been very close to me and always understands when I'm sad or scared...
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

That’s bcs she loves you. :)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”