Purpose of Reincarnation/Past Lives

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Aesiryth

Purpose of Reincarnation/Past Lives

Post by Aesiryth »

Ever given someone you've never met a glance and just felt like you've known them for years? Or do you ever look at your future in life and get lazy like you've already done it and you have to go through it again? Happens to me a lot. But I do suffer from depression so that could be part of it. Anyway, I've been trying to find the question that I keep looking for with this subject of past lives, but I can't really seem to grasp it. I guess it's what do you do when you know you have met someone that you have never met? Do you talk to them? Do you just think it's weird and walk away?

Even with those questions I don't feel like I've asked what I've wanted to ask...Sorry I'm a bit of a deep thinker and I like to type. If past lives do exist, why do they? What is the purpose of a repetitive cycle in which you live, die and repeat over and over again? I know those are pretty deep questions, and I've asked a couple people I know in real life, but I would really enjoy reading someone's response from here.

Thanks,
-Aesiryth
"At the center of your being you have the answer;
You know who you are and what you want."

-Lao Tzu
Thitabe

Re: Purpose of Reincarnation/Past Lives

Post by Thitabe »

Aesiryth wrote:Ever given someone you've never met a glance and just felt like you've known them for years? Or do you ever look at your future in life and get lazy like you've already done it and you have to go through it again? Happens to me a lot. But I do suffer from depression so that could be part of it. Anyway, I've been trying to find the question that I keep looking for with this subject of past lives, but I can't really seem to grasp it. I guess it's what do you do when you know you have met someone that you have never met? Do you talk to them? Do you just think it's weird and walk away?

Even with those questions I don't feel like I've asked what I've wanted to ask...Sorry I'm a bit of a deep thinker and I like to type. If past lives do exist why do they? What is the purpose of a repetitive cycle in which you live, die and repeat over and over again? I know those are pretty deep questions and I've asked a couple people I know in real life, but I would really enjoy reading someone's response from here.

Thanks,
-Aesiryth
In 2006, when I started taking classes to become Wiccan, I was told that every sign has 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. Everyone is reborn in each sign until they overcome their weaknesses and master their strengths. Once that happens then they are born into another sign and do it all over until they have overcome all the signs weaknesses and master all the strengths so based on that thought someone could be reborn dozens of times, depending on how quickly they are able to accomplish these tasks.

So if you follow that line of thought then it is possible to meet someone you knew in another lifetime.

In 2008 I had a couples reading with a lady I know and we were told that we have been in each other's life through many lifetimes. The reason for that we were told is that there is something we are meant to do together but have not yet completed and until we do, we will continue to cross paths in future life's.

When we met in 2003 we both felt like we had met before so maybe the next time you meet someone you feel you know from a former life, maybe it's the universe's way of telling you there is still something that the 2 of you still need to do that was not accomplished in the past life.

Thitabe
Siona

Post by Siona »

Aesiryth wrote:If past lives do exist why do they? What is the purpose of a repetitive cycle in which you live, die and repeat over and over again?
I think, if reincarnation is real, then it's something that happens for a few reasons. I think part of it is really just to enjoy physical life, and what it has to offer. Heck, maybe entire incarnations happen with just the 'goal' to enjoy, to live again. Of course, as many believe, I also believe it is a way for our soul to grow. We experience new things, we learn new lessons. We can't do everything in one life, so we come back to do it again, to get a new perspective, to learn more, and so on.
Aesiryth

Post by Aesiryth »

Thanks to the both of you. I appreciate the thoughtful responses. I, myself, struggle with things like this and it is one of the reasons I go off and on with religion. A part of me wants to believe certain things, but another is too logical and tries to find a scientific solution to everything. Anyways, thanks again for the responses.

-Lao Tzu
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I always thought one of the reasons for reincarnation
is there are just so many souls to go around and we
need to "get it right" otherwise we are born again
until we "get it right"...
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Chalice

Post by Chalice »

Purpose is not given by spirits of Gods.

We decide purpose.

Reincarnation is just what happens.

I think the main reason is these bodies aren't immortal. It's the physical limitations of the universe.

Much like: Why does gravity exists. Well, it's a law of the universe. Law, not as in human law, but scientific law.
Witchcraft & OBOD Druidry.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

For one , our blood has memory. It contains tiny bits of all our ancestors. You may have had an ancestor who was connected to their ancestor. Your blood is remembering your pasta together ... Just like DNA .. Noses and hair color... we pass on memories and emotions. If you meet someone and feel an emotion to them you more than likely are tied.

( or you could be mixing empath energies)
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Haha. Pasta together is meant to say * past together*. Or maybe you're both Italian. I dunno. [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]
Nyd

Post by Nyd »

In Hermeticism it is said that your soul is trying to reach a certain high state. Almost divine, vibrating at a higher frequency. In each life you learn lessons and master problematic situations.
But I don't think you just steadily rise up and improve in every life. Sometimes you may really fail at your life. I have memories from one life that are not good and really I only learned 1 good thing. In the life after, I advanced on some levels but totally had forgotten about valueable things I knew in the past. In the first life I remember I am more like myself now but was left with unresolved issues. I think things like that can keep us going too. In this life most of the wisdom from other lives is combined, plus I have learned many new things. I am getting somewhere, but it is definitely not my last. I have unresolved issues that I wasn't able to resolve despite finding other souls from the past :(
I will just try to grow as much as I can in this life and maybe having remembered so much for the first time will be a good foundation for the next.
:needrune:
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.
Aesiryth

Post by Aesiryth »

Interesting and understandable ideas that all of you shared. I appreciate all of them very much. I just hope that in death I am able to decide whether or not to go through another life. I don't think I'd want to, there's a lot of cruelty in this world and too many bad things that, in my opinion, outweigh the good.

Thanks again though,
-Aesiryth

-Lao Tzu
Nyd

Post by Nyd »

I understand you may not want to. But the purpose of reincarnation is not offering you a second chance, but rather improving you, your soul forcefully. Often with hardships. You will be broken and reassembled until you are as holy and wise as mother teresa ;)
Good and bad is everywhere. Negative and positive. It keeps a certain balance. It's also in the eye of the beholder. You can walk around seeing the world in a negative light...but others will instead chose to appreciate the beauty. In my opinion the world has lots to offer and it is also in my power how negative or positive my life turns out.
There is a saying: "once you have wandered in darknes you will see the light." Maybe a trial lies ahead of you. Challenges that will eventually lead you into the light.
:needrune:
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Post by Silversong »

Breaking this up so I remember to answer everything as best I can.
Aesiryth wrote:Ever given someone you've never met a glance and just felt like you've known them for years? Or do you ever look at your future in life and get lazy like you've already done it and you have to go through it again?
Yes. I do this a lot, actually, both parts. The first part: Actually, a lot of my friends I instantly "clicked" with for much that reason - Yonah is the one that comes to mind, but Flame too, despite the difficulties we're currently having. The second part: Too often. Too, too often, considering I'm in high school and I really do need to kick myself to get moving on planning my life or I'm going to have problems later.
I guess it's what do you do when you know you have met someone that you have never met? Do you talk to them? Do you just think it's weird and walk away?
If we're in an appropriate setting, I usually try to start a conversation, though I'm not too good at that XD However, if this happens, what it usually feels like is this: I either look at the person and say to myself, "I like him/her," then kind of mentally give myself a strange look like Wtfluff Silver you've never exchanged so much as a 'hello', or I look at them and say to myself, "Okay, I really don't like him/her," and steer clear without questioning it. (The awkward moment is when the latter is the case and then I HAVE to talk to them.) Sometimes, that's maybe just people reading, but sometimes, it definitely feels like we've met before.
If past lives do exist why do they? What is the purpose of a repetitive cycle in which you live, die and repeat over and over again?
I believe that past lives and reincarnation exist so that our souls can continue learning lessons from life. Mortal life is short, after all, and if we're particularly slow or stubborn about learning a lesson, it can lose a lot of time for other lessons. I also believe that we probably remember at least some of our past lives when in the "in-between state" - whether that be for you the Summerland or something else - or else it wouldn't be much overall help at all.

I also believe that souls can take on the forms of non-human animals and plants as well - anything living. Personally, it would not surprise me one bit if my soul (which I'm just going to use from hereonout as referring to me *waves hands in expansive gesture* in the general timeless sense, over all lives I may have gone through) hasn't chosen to take human form in a very long time. And it won't surprise me much after this life if I find myself seriously considering taking a nonhuman form again. I find myself exasperated, frustrated, and annoyed with the human race in general all too often - our collective arrogance, self-importance, selfishness, and unwillingness to deal with problems until they're on our doorstep, for instance - and some days I realize abruptly I'm literally thinking, "Gods, sometimes I wish I weren't human," though the two are not necessarily connected... I'm more likely to be thinking that because my heart is aching for the sky, something that happens a lot, than because I'm irritated with the human species. Take that as you will.

Anywho. I got a little off track there. I tend to think on paper (or, as it happens, on a computer screen) as well XD

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”