Not looking for religion

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Einarr

Not looking for religion

Post by Einarr »

While I'm not sure which path I will end up on, I do know what path I do not want. Like the title of my post says, I do not want to follow a path that is basically a religion. I believe everyone should have the right to believe and practice however they choose, whether by a strict ceremonial religious tradition, or no structure at all, or somewhere in between. The more I read about wicca the more I realize that in not for me. I'm not knocking it, if you love that path then I feel you are blessed to be on the path you're meant to be on. I realize I'm the only one that can choose the direction I take, but I'm very new to this with little knowledge. I also do not expect someone to guide me to the path I should take. I would like to hear from others about the path they choose and the process whereby they came to this. Any insight is deeply appreciated.
My growth, positive or negative is my doing.
Vesca

Re: Not looking for religion

Post by Vesca »

I never started with Wicca or any formed religious structure. While the vast majority of Witchcraft 101 books are Wiccan in nature, I've read quite a few of them but ended up taking what I did like and leaving the rest.

That being said, I didn't actually choose a path to follow... ever. I fell into one after more than a decade of studying, but it's more like it chose me and I probably never would have known it existed had certain events not happened to bring me into that reality. I know, cryptic. :P

The best place to start is really to start looking into the specific subjects you find interesting and see where it leads. You may never have a specific path or title by which to call yourself, but you won't be lacking the knowledge or perspectives that come with learning.
Einarr

Post by Einarr »

Thanks for the wisdom. I'm not overly concerned with titles. I am only seeking a direction different than the one I've been on most of my life. I have a good and happy life I just feel there is something more for me, as if I'm not living up to my potential.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

The best idea right now would probably be to take stock of what interests you and branch off from there. :)
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Yes. I'm a magickal folk who doesn't follow a particular religion too. The problem I see in terms of observing or following a certain religious path or organization like Wicca, they only prefer to see what's good and reject what others would tell them as evil and inappropriate about it. But for me, there's no such thing as "all evil" just as there's no such thing as "all good." Everything under the moon has their own benefits and dangers, their own advantages and disadvantages and these things are usually clear to see if you're not in a organization or structured beliefs!

If you have a particular religion, you actually becomes a bias to your judgement of the teachings, doctrines and rituals made by the founders and fathers of your religion. And you would find other philosophies from other paths rather odd or even disturbing.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Einarr

Post by Einarr »

Vesca wrote:The best idea right now would probably be to take stock of what interests you and branch off from there. :)
I've been involved in training and teaching Martial Arts for over ten years, so you could say that's an interest and passion of mine. With that there is an energy that I can feel, that goes beyond the physical aspect of the Art. It is this that I had set out to explore which led me to the subject of Witchcraft, and from there the multitude of paths or directions one could take became evident and almost overwhelming. I guess that's where I'm at the branch off from there phase I just did not expect to see so many branches.
Einarr

Post by Einarr »

Seraphin Murmur wrote:Yes. I'm a magickal folk who doesn't follow a particular religion too. The problem I see in terms of observing or following a certain religious path or organization like Wicca, they only prefer to see what's good and reject what others would tell them as evil and inappropriate about it. But for me, there's no such thing as "all evil" just as there's no such thing as "all good."
I'm A firm believer in balance. I see opposite equal forces as necessary in order to maintain balance not only in life but in nature. While I'm far from perfect I do try to maintain a consistent balance in my life.
Argante

Post by Argante »

Personally, I've never felt the need to seek for a certain path or category of Pagan to fit in. I see my religious/spiritual beliefs as something quite deep and private, and I nurture it from within. I try to study and learn as much as I can, specially when it comes to witchcraft, but in the end, I follow what my heart says.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I think it's good that you're listening to your gut instinct about there being more out there for you. I think it's important you keep an open mind because you never know what you might find and identify with. When I was searching I swore I didn't want to work with any deities because I just didn't feel like it was the right path for me. However, I was surprised by having one barging in my front door, so to speak. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes things that you least expect will find you on their own and while you may be actively searching for something else; what you're truly meant to have and explore may find you on its own. That's not to say it's going to be religion, of course, but it's the concept that everything happens for a reason.

You don't need a religion, and that's just fine! Everyone has their own belief systems and preferences. What matters is what you want to do and not what anyone else suggests. As they say, witchcraft is different from Wicca as Wicca is a religion and witchcraft is a practice/activity. Wicca is wonderful for some people, as it brings those people joy and clarity for their personal lives where as witchcraft may be better suited for others. We all have our own areas of interest and our own niches that we fit into.

As Vesca suggested, keep looking to see what you find! You may find something that you really enjoy -- or it may end up finding you~ Just keep an open mind and I'm sure you'll encounter what it is you're meant to do.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Religion is useful for the people who need to be led, and is a very external manifestation of their spirit (a preacher, the sermons, the altars and everything else). For those of us who wish to lead our own lives as free and independent individuals, and evolve our spirit on our own, the work is usually internal.

The only tool you need is your Mind ;)
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

On Jeopardy, the answer has to be phrased as a question. Maybe this is like Jeopardy. Now where's Alex Trebek?

SnowCat
Daughter of Sekhmet
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Einara wrote:
Seraphin Murmur wrote:Yes. I'm a magickal folk who doesn't follow a particular religion too. The problem I see in terms of observing or following a certain religious path or organization like Wicca, they only prefer to see what's good and reject what others would tell them as evil and inappropriate about it. But for me, there's no such thing as "all evil" just as there's no such thing as "all good."
I'm A firm believer in balance. I see opposite equal forces as necessary in order to maintain balance not only in life but in nature. While I'm far from perfect I do try to maintain a consistent balance in my life.
Good for you!
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Einara wrote:
Vesca wrote:The best idea right now would probably be to take stock of what interests you and branch off from there. :)
I've been involved in training and teaching Martial Arts for over ten years, so you could say that's an interest and passion of mine. With that there is an energy that I can feel, that goes beyond the physical aspect of the Art. It is this that I had set out to explore which led me to the subject of Witchcraft, and from there the multitude of paths or directions one could take became evident and almost overwhelming. I guess that's where I'm at the branch off from there phase I just did not expect to see so many branches.
Oh? What form of martial arts? I took Ai Ki Do for all of 3 months. :P If I could afford the time and money I would go back in a heartbeat.
Einarr

Post by Einarr »

Versca
I do Tae Kwon Do. I tried a few times throughout my life to do martial arts but either time or money kept me from getting serious. I reached a certain age and realized if I am to do it I needed to start. Life was such that I could dedicate myself to it. It is actually though the martial arts that I was introduced to the practice of meditation, which as I'm learning has much to do with alternative paths if spiritualism.
Einarr

Post by Einarr »

Argante wrote:Personally, I've never felt the need to seek for a certain path or category of Pagan to fit in. I see my religious/spiritual beliefs as something quite deep and private, and I nurture it from within. I try to study and learn as much as I can, specially when it comes to witchcraft, but in the end, I follow what my heart says.
Thanks, wise advise,

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”