Catholic College for a Wiccan?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
astrowitch

Post by astrowitch »

Can a private college kick you out because of religion? I want to go to a college but its Cathic based and I dont want to get kicked out for wicca and magick.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Re: College?

Post by AdastraJunction »

That's up to the University to decide. They have a right to accept or exclude anyone they wish. It should be in there guidelines on what is acceptable.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

To be honest, and I'm going to sound terrible saying this, I wouldn't even go. Some people in Catholicism are not accepting to witchcraft and Wicca as we have come to see. If you want to be able to practice happily and without fear of someone finding out or reacting badly then I would try to find another college that you are really interested in or want to go to that will not pose this potential risk.

You never know, though, if it will be a problem and if it's the school you genuinely wish to go to then by all means try it. I'm just sharing another opinion on the matter and it's how I view things.

Adastra has a good point that they should have guidelines but they do have a right to keep and take in anyone they want as well as to reject.

Regardless, I wish you luck with your endeavors and I hope you are able to attend the college of your choice. ^_^
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Iset

Post by Iset »

I hate discouraging people from doing things, but in this case you could potentially shell out money to go, even if it's only $500 for a couple classes; then potentially get expelled for witchcraft. I bring up the point because I don't want to see your money go to waste because the college isn't tolerant to wiccans.
I've changed my username from RisingPhoenix to my craft name Iset!
astrowitch

Post by astrowitch »

Thanks for all your insight! Now that I know the legal aspects, I'll definiely reconsider. Thank you again!
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

There are plenty of other Universities out there that do not care what you do as long as you stick with the rules and keep up with your studies. Good luck! Hope it works out and you get into the Uni that suites you and your goals
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Astrowitch, I suggest you do a little more research into the school that you're looking into. I've seen some Catholic universities who explicitly state that they welcome members of all faiths. You may still encounter pressure from other students to become Catholic, but the school itself shouldn't kick you out for witchcraft alone. I know there are some Catholic or Christian universities that do require you to make a statement of faith before you enter and would probably not be tolerant of witchcraft. You can often find statements about how accepting they are of students of other faiths on their websites, but the best bet is to ask a current student, alum, or admissions counselor.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

I have also heard of people being expelled from a school because they are of an actual different faith. Catholicism is quite strict so just as already advised I would research those policies first before moving foward.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

AdastraJunction wrote:That's up to the University to decide. They have a right to accept or exclude anyone they wish. It should be in there guidelines on what is acceptable.
This is true because they are a private university. If this were a state university or any other public university then no. But, private schools can do whatever they want. So now you need to ask "will they?", and I doubt you want to take the risk..
Seventhwatcher

Post by Seventhwatcher »

Private institution yes. Especially if it is affiliated with a specific religion. I grew up seventh day Adventist and I already know I would have..... enlightened..... the entire campus if they let me stay there.

If I were you and i really wanted to go tobthat school? I would simply express my interest to a professor in something like history or theological studies. Catholics are actually one of the leading authorities on occult materials and books..... And there are many occultists within the Catholic church.
Badgerstate

Post by Badgerstate »

They probably would expel you. Whats the point in being a Catholic university if youre going to allow people of all faiths to attend? A bigger question might be: if youre a Wiccan, why would you even want to attend a Catholic school?
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Re: Catholic College for a Wiccan?

Post by Seraphin »

There are a lot of Catholic schools and colleges here in my place that students from other religions are welcome to enroll but must strictly follow the school's no-wearing pagan or muslim religious symbol policy such as Islamic crescent, pentagram, yin yang and such.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Badgerstate

Post by Badgerstate »

Seraphin wrote:There are a lot of Catholic schools and colleges here in my place that students from other religions are welcome to enroll but must strictly follow the school's no-wearing pagan or muslim religious symbol policy such as Islamic crescent, pentagram, yin yang and such.
Why would you want to go there though? Why should you have to hide who you are? I mean, with all the outrage that Christians have over no prayer in schools and having Christian icons removed from government buildings, the last thing Id stand for is anyone telling me that I have to hide my faith.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Maybe it doesn't have to do with religion, badger? Some highly renowned schools are religious schools and also some programs that top the list for specific careers have better programs at religious schools. That's just one possibility.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Sakura Blossom wrote:Maybe it doesn't have to do with religion, badger? Some highly renowned schools are religious schools and also some programs that top the list for specific careers have better programs at religious schools. That's just one possibility.
MOST private schools have better facilities and academics then state universities. Not to mention the student to professor ratio is usually much better being that you might actually be able to ask a question about your studies to a real person and receive an answer.. Thus, fostering better educations for it's attendees.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”