Calling upon spirits/elements

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Wolf-Tigress

Calling upon spirits/elements

Post by Wolf-Tigress »

So I have found that when calling to spirits, gods, or the elements (etc.) it is best to be polite and say things like I ask that you... rather than I command or anything like that. For instance when casting a circle I have found it better to say something like "I call upon the spirits of the North guardians of Earth and ask that you..." instead of "I call upon spirits of the North guardians of Earth to join this circle." I feel like spirits respond better to kind words rather than just commanding something of them. I feel that it helps to build a better working relationship between a witch and the gods/spirits/elements when performing magick. :fairy: Just a thought. :)
Have a wonderful day and Blessed Be!
Through the spilling ice, and glowing fire,
I have the heart of the wolf, and the strength of a tiger.

Wolf-Tigress
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Re: Calling upon spirits/elements

Post by RosieMoonflower »

^^ Agreed! My mother always said "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." Meaning: you always get a better response from people when you are polite vs when you are demanding or rude.. The same goes for spirits in my book!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Entities of any kind tend to prefer invitations over demands. That was a good point to bring up. Thank you both.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Wolf-Tigress

Post by Wolf-Tigress »

Yes we do. Everyone usually responds better with kind and polite words.
I figured it was a good thing to bring up especially for people who are just starting to learn about wicca (still including myself) because many just use whatever they find on the internet which don't always have the most polite spells when calling about things. ^_^

Wolf-Tigress
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

I play with fire... literally. So I find that when I ask fire to be kind and not harm me that I never get burned as opposed to when I forget to ask, just assume that it won't or command it not too. It is apparent that everything responds to kindness and polite encouraging rather than being commanded to bend to ones will.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Very good point. And make sure to thank them!

I thank my deities everyday for their blessings and use it in a positive, statement as if it's already happened.

Such as "Thank you Lakshmi for your blessings of abundance and prosperity"
Luna87

Post by Luna87 »

I agree:) I tend to find that when you working with gods, goddesses or spiritual guides it is always bettet to be kind and polite :) Then again I would not like my man to say to me " I demand you to make me dinner and so on", in that case he might end up haveing something trown in his face lol.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Luna87 wrote:" I demand you to make me dinner and so on", in that case he might end up haveing something trown in his face lol.
hahaha, Yep.

I believe the idea of commanding entities to appear, or to do your work comes from ceremonial magic or manipulative magic.
I remember some author saying ..."better to work in cooperation rather than domination", and that made more sense to me...
So when I call to the Gods/Goddesses I request their energy to to be infused in our rite and be beneficial to all. When bidding them farewell its more like a friend departing rather than some portal or box they need to get back into....also thanking them for their energy and presence is important.
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Wolf-Tigress

Post by Wolf-Tigress »

Oh yes! Good point about also thanking them too guys!

Wolf-Tigress
Thitabe

Post by Thitabe »

That's so very true. As even in life, people respond better to requests then demands.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

This is an excellent point, Wolf-Tigress.
And while I agree that when you work with deities, you should ask politely, it is my opinion that when you express desire you should make a statement, not beg.
What I mean is, when you are casting a spell for example and you have a desire, it's a good idea to say something like "it is my will to get this/make this happen/be this", rather than "I wish it could come true". Basically, what you say is, you do know what you want, and you work towards getting it, rather than just wish everything to be the way you want it.
I hope this makes sense.
Wolf-Tigress

Post by Wolf-Tigress »

That is also a good point YanaKhan. do try and command the magic aspect of it. As in my friend and I just did a spell recently and I was clear on saying things like "With these these drops of water, it is my will that it shall rain/snow" but as for asking the spirits to aid our magic when I was calling to them during the circle casting I asked them to assist, and made sure to thank the ones that did while closing the circle. ^_^

Wolf-Tigress
prinzessinynnej

Post by prinzessinynnej »

Wolf-Tigress wrote:That is also a good point YanaKhan. do try and command the magic aspect of it. As in my friend and I just did a spell recently and I was clear on saying things like "With these these drops of water, it is my will that it shall rain/snow" but as for asking the spirits to aid our magic when I was calling to them during the circle casting I asked them to assist, and made sure to thank the ones that did while closing the circle. ^_^
Do you cast spells really?
Wolf-Tigress

Post by Wolf-Tigress »

Uuummmmm a couple times............ why?

Wolf-Tigress
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Hey, prinzessinynnej
Many people here really cast spells. Would you mind clarifying your question a little? We would like to see you post an introduction in theMember Profiles & Introductions section so we can get to know you better.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”