A question about Wiccan ancestry

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
WaterNymph99

A question about Wiccan ancestry

Post by WaterNymph99 »

Hey, so I was wondering about Wiccan ancestry. One of my friends is the 23rd generation of wiccan in her family, and she was able to see that I cast a protection spell on my necklace without me ever telling her. She said that since she comes from a family of Wiccans that she can see when a spell has been cast on something.

I've never been able to 'see' when another witch has cast a spell, so if I were to raise my children with wiccan beliefs, would they be able to 'see' spells more clearly than I? I think I'm the first Wiccan in my bloodline so I thought maybe that was why I can't see spells.
Echo_of_shadows

Re: A question about Wiccan ancestry

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I think your friend is pulling your chain with her "lineage." While some magickal systems are found to have been around for centuries, Wicca itself is a modern concept. Wicca is thought to have started in the early twentieth century and the form many are familiar with, the one popularized by Gerald Gardner, came about in the 1950's. Sorry, but there just hasn't been enough time for 23 generations of Wiccans. I'm not saying that she couldn't very well come from a family of Wiccans, I'm just suggesting that she learn Wicca's history in case someone comes along and confronts her. halfsm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Wicca
Personally, I don't think the number of Wiccans or Witches in a person's family means anything when it comes to an individual's talents. If someone hasn't put in the study and practice of Wicca, no amount of Witchy godmothers is going to change a thing.
If your friend has "seen" a spell that you've cast on an object, chances are it's because she is familiar with the energy and knows where it comes from. You may not be able to "see" spells now, but with practice, you can. You don't necessarily have to "see" spells to know that they exist. There are other valid senses. ;)
WaterNymph99

Post by WaterNymph99 »

Okay, thanks a lot for your response, I was pretty confused >.<
I might have misheard when she said 23rd but then again she might have been "pulling my chain"
:)
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

It happens. Some people think that "it's in my blood" sounds more mysterious than "I'm pioneering the way for future generations." Whatever makes the magickal boat sail more smoothly. :lol:
Siona

Post by Siona »

I have to agree. Unfortunately people lying about their ancestry is a common thing among Wiccans and witches, as Echo said, people who do this tend to feel like it gives them more 'weight' or makes them seem more legitimate. Most people can't trace their families back 23 generations (really, that's over 400 years), and Wicca itself is only a few generations old. It's always good to take those sorts of claims with a big grain of salt, even when it's coming from friends at times. :/

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”