simple spells vs. rituals

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Ravenstar

simple spells vs. rituals

Post by Ravenstar »

Do I use the same format I.e. circle, calling quarters, invite God and Goddess etc.? Blessings.
Kassandra

Re: simple spells vs. rituals

Post by Kassandra »

[note: I changed "Quakers" in your OP to quarters, assuming that's what you meant to type...unless you were planning to call some Quakers in your spell, lol. Yeah, I just love autocorrect, don't you?]

smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

Matter of opinion. Some people do, some don't. I would do whatever feels comfortable to you.

Honestly, I don't always cast a circle for a small spells.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I think that casting a circle is a good idea for helping create the psychodrama sometimes needed in ritual and spell work. It's also helpful for beginners if they're inexperienced in directing energy.
Invoking deities is up to each person. Not everyone works deities. Inviting anything into your home is optional. You could call the Quarters, elementals, angels, what have you, or you could just do it all on your own.
Think about how much effort your spell or ritual is going to need. If you're just lighting a candle to pray for good grades, you'll use up quit a bit on energy for a ritual with all the bells and whistles. Energy perhaps better spent on studying. ;)
When you're comfortable, you can pick and choose which things you want to do and which to leave out.
I mostly work with the gods. I haven't called the quarters since I blessed the house seven months ago. I honestly don't recall the last time I cast a circle. :? But I do try to do at least one magickal thing a week, and my work doesn't suffer from a lack of pomp. :fairy:
Ravenstar

Post by Ravenstar »

Thank you. Your answer was very helpful. Blessings. :flyingwitch:
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Do to head injury and the pain and such increasing over
time, I've had to simplify my spells, and usually to get
what I want I have chanted instead; or at least for
right now anyway...as long as the pain/symptoms don't
get out-of-hand again; I'm alright.
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

For me it depends on the work Im doing but I rarely call the quarters, cast a circle etc. I just do a quick spell usually.
mangosandy82

Post by mangosandy82 »

AnaisStar wrote:For me it depends on the work Im doing but I rarely call the quarters, cast a circle etc. I just do a quick spell usually.
Does it work? The quick spell I mean. I'm just wondering is all.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

When doing individual spells I'll first do a shortened circle rite to prepare sacred space by just walking 3 deosil passes. The 1st go-round is with mixed salt-water (earth & water elements). Then make a 2nd pass with incense (air & fire). Then I make a 3rd pass to project the energy circle. This way the elements are balanced but I don't summon, so there's no dismissal & the circle dissipates when walked through. I'll do the full ritual on holidays with the purifying, casting, quarter-calling, evocation, offerings, dismissals & grounding. A circle creates favorable conditions.

The spell is a separate project performed within the optional circle. Lots of folks don’t cast circles but it does reduce distracting interference from outside. You’d be inside a circle while you assemble the spell & set the intent into it to accomplish a specific goal. You'd probably be working at a table/altar space.

. Candles are good examples of this. Bring the needed items to your work space. Cast a simple circle around the work area. Wipe a candle with salted water to cleanse it. Then Inscribe symbols or the receiver’s name & DOB on the candle. Next apply olive oil (or scented EO) to “dress” the candle - oil holds the charge to the object. Charging the candle is to infuse it with your intention & is the next step. Draw power to the belly on the breath, focus on the goal & push the energy into the candle as you exhale. State incantations in present-tense words. Finally - lite up, gaze at the flame to self-hypnotize and get in the Zone to know the goal is met. Then let the candle burn down and maybe read the wax drippings before disposing of the stub in the trash.
barker

Post by barker »

"Just doing it" is probably the most magical way but you have to actually be that way - fully confident, really. Casting a circle creates energies that allow less-than-magical thoughts their proper standing. In the end it is about how you detach and know, in the truth that it will come to pass. Blessings...

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”