Emotions and Spellwork?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Gentle Melody

Emotions and Spellwork?

Post by Gentle Melody »

Hello!
I've been thinking how feelings during spellwork or rituals can affect their outcome or if they can't affect it.
Some say that if you cast a spell (a binding spell to stop someone from hurting others, for example) feeling anger toward the target, you may have harsh consequences. But, if you cast a healing spell feeling happy or hopeful (because you're able to help someone), the healing effect would be stronger or is it just irrelevant?

Blessings! :flyingwitch:
"If you can't let go, you will end up empty-handed
If you can't control, you'll live your life in vain"

Design Your Universe ~ Epica
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Emotions and Spellwork?

Post by SnowCat »

Emotions do influence spellwork. It's very much like emotions influencing physical abilities. Maybe not to the extent of "Mom lifts car off baby, " but you get the idea. Emotions can have as much impact on spell work as intent can.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Gentle Melody

Post by Gentle Melody »

I see, Thank you SnowCat :)

Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

In my opinion, it's not about the emotion. It's the power in the emotion. Love (in my opinion) is the strongest, any spell cast while in a loving state (I feel) would be precise and powerful, while a spell done while angry could fail all together. Anger is very negative. I actually put up a vampiric ward for anger on my door. It uses the energy to strengthen itself. The simile of power to emotion isn't very precise though. As anger is quite powerful, it's the... Blindness of the Emotion, it nums your heart and head to say.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

What happens to your spells after casting them -- and how that which happens to you affects you -- is determined by the power in the emotion. That power is monitored by your words and actions, because that's how you interact with your Deities or any other external forces and energies directly and immediately -- it's how you speak, it's how you act, it's how you develop the "belief".

And as any adult knows from life experience, for any belief to stand a chance, it has to be real.

One can choose to cast a spell through the recitation of incantations and performing various witchy activities but spell-casting can never be a "formality." It's not just about dashing off a bunch of words in a prescribed sequence. It is an outpouring of the heart.

Of course, the emotions we pour into our spells can't be readily mustered on an everyday basis. But we can go a long way to make ourselves prepared, to create for ourselves an atmosphere of undisturbed concentration, to be aware of the words we speak and works we do or practice and to whom we address them.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Chaos magickians actually believe emotions get in the way of spells and you are meant to forget about the spell once you do it, because your desire could stop you from getting the right result. It kinda makes sense actually, and it works just as well as the energy focusing. Now, this does not mean you can't make a spell work if you wish for the result. Many people would say that when you focus your energy, you get the best results. I've done it both ways and with me it works both ways. As an eclectic witch, I use elements of different paths and when I work with elements from Chaos magick, forgetting about the spell works better. If I don't include Chaos magick in my rituals, then it's up to the energy I put. Then desire works better.
Basically, what I'm trying to say is, you emotions could get in the way, but if you learn how to direct them right, they could be of help. Learning to control your emotions is hard, but also very very rewarding.
LiebeUndLicht

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

Lots of mixed answers... I believe that say for example you are doing a healing spell for a friend but a family member made you really angry, you should meditate for a while until you don't feel so angry anymore, then when you come to do the spell just focus on the friend you are healing during the spell, then afterwards you have the right to be angry again? Hahaha no but seriously, I think emotions do affect how your spell goes, if you're doing a healing spell for someone you don't really care about then it may not work as well as if you did it to someone you really care about. Blessed be!
Not all scars show and not all wounds heal. Sometimes you never truly see the pain that someone feels.
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

Before I ever do any spell work I will meditate to release any negativity that may affect it. Emotions, like everyone else said here, can and do have an affect on your spells. I know it is a healing spell you are seeking to do and I wish you luck with it. My suggestion is to focus and release before hand. Hope this helps. Blessed Be.
Gentle Melody

Post by Gentle Melody »

Thanks, NoahC, Seraphin, YanaKhan, LiebeUndLicht and Lillady for sharing your knowledge with me!
It's a kinda controversial subject, so, I really need test and find out what happens, haha.
Lillady wrote:I know it is a healing spell you are seeking to do and I wish you luck with it
Thank you! :)

AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I believe that magick is all about the intention. So I think emotion would definitely play into that greatly. I think the emotion behind the intention can greatly influence the outcome of any work you are doing.

For instance, if I'm doing a prosperity spell trying to bring something to me, but my emotions are sad and coming from a place of feeling like Im lacking I dont think it would be as powerful as if my emotions are coming from an attitude of gratitude. If I'm grateful for what I already have, and am filled with gratitude I think my prosperity spell would be more successful.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”