Are You In the Broom Closet?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Vine-Ivy

Re: Are You In the Broom Closet?

Post by Vine-Ivy »

I have told my mother and explained the ethics of Wicca. She now comes shopping with me for witchy things and crystals.
I haven't directly told my partner. However, he knows I believe herbs, crystals, colours and other things emit energies. He knows that I meet up with pagans in two moot groups. And he also has seen my altars and tarot cards. He has seen me read a lot of books on Wicca and witchcraft too.
I haven't told my friends, but I don't have that many close friends anyway. And I have chosen not to tell work colleges as I work in education.

So I guess I have one foot in and one foot out. But I quite like it that way. I will tell those I want to and will keep it to myself in other situations.

:flyingwitch:
azriel

Post by azriel »

My mother and brother are Catholic, and my father and sister do not really know what path they follow. However, that has not been an interference in their treatment of me and my path. I am very thankful for their open-mindedness. While they do know that I am very spiritual, they are not aware of my rituals and practices since they fear that I might bring a calamity onto the house.

As for friends, I do not really have any but if I did, I would not bring it up unless they asked me specifically.

Generally, I am open and willing to talk and share info about myself and my path when asked, but I do not go out and tell people just on a whim.

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

My mom and my sister are pretty open. I grew up in a very informal Christian family. My dad is part Native American and we smudged and smoked peace pipes on most Christian holidays. Later my dad became a born again Christian and gave me all of his smudging stuff. I didn't really realize he was ever conflicted. Anyways, now he is a little over the top in my opinion. I have some cousins that are a little nutty but I thought that when I was a Christian and I wasn't a good enough Christian for them so who cares.

Honestly, I don't really feel the need to come out to anyone. It's really nobody's business. I don't care what other people believe, why should they care what I believe. I have always said, nobody can see what is in another's heart. And I have already been a closet Republican for years, so I'm used to it.
lisian-in-secret

Post by lisian-in-secret »

Electra wrote:I find that my friends are more accepting than my family in general. When I came out of the broom closet, my mom told me to kill myself, and then she said if I ever talked about Wicca again, she'd make us move to Pakistan where there's no psychological help for me.

Sounds eerily familiar! Do we have the same mother?!
lisian-in-secret

Post by lisian-in-secret »

Sundancer wrote:My mom and my sister are pretty open. I grew up in a very informal Christian family. My dad is part Native American and we smudged and smoked peace pipes on most Christian holidays. Later my dad became a born again Christian and gave me all of his smudging stuff. I didn't really realize he was ever conflicted. Anyways, now he is a little over the top in my opinion. I have some cousins that are a little nutty but I thought that when I was a Christian and I wasn't a good enough Christian for them so who cares.

Honestly, I don't really feel the need to come out to anyone. It's really nobody's business. I don't care what other people believe, why should they care what I believe. I have always said, nobody can see what is in another's heart. And I have already been a closet Republican for years, so I'm used to it.
This is a good attitude to have. Honestly, it isn't anyone else's business. I don't think other people should be so concerned as to what my spiritual path is or whether or not I am Wiccan.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”