Night-time or day-time?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Vine-Ivy

Night-time or day-time?

Post by Vine-Ivy »

Hey!

So I was wondering if your prefer to cast spells at night-time or day-time, and your reasons for doing so? Does it depend on the type of spell you are casting or is it just that you either prefer day over night, or vice versa?

For some reason I always think that spells need to be cast when the moon is out but feel like I want to break this way if thinking. What are your thoughts?

~Vine-Ivy~
Sakura Blossom

Re: Night-time or day-time?

Post by Sakura Blossom »

In all honesty, I just go with what my intuition tells me. (: I used to just do it at night, because I feel more awake and more alive at night time which is funny because I work with a deity that represents fire so I would have been sure casting during the day time might appeal to me more. Of course, I've seen some mentions of the moon with Him, but he won't give me a definitive answer either way.

Anyways, that's getting off topic!

I do love casting whenever I feel is best for that particular spell. (: I would always just go with what feels right to you, and if you feel like you are more empowered during the moon's time in the sky, then by all means go for it! (:

Another way you could do it, too, if you would like some more thoughts on it, would be to think about what the spell is, and what you're doing it for makes you think of, then find a time that corresponds with it?

For example, if you were wanting to go to Hawaii for a vacation, you might want to do the spell during the day when it's nice and sunny as well as hot outside, to go with the result you're hoping to achieve with this spell. It's all up to you! (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Vine-Ivy

Post by Vine-Ivy »

Thanks for your reply.
I think another reason why I am drawn to the evening is because everything seems more calm. I live in a suburban area. However, it's a rather busy estate with children playing outside the house and lots of cars driving past during the day.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Oh, I understand that completely! We live in the suburbs right now, and it's the same way during the day. I always do daily spell work inside, unless something I can do isn't visibly 'odd' to anyone who might see. So I totally understand! Nightime is easier to do outdoors work, because no one's ever up that late here.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I tend to go with my "gut". I usually have a strong intuition on when I cast my spells. It might take me five minutes to write a spell but it'll take hours(sometimes days) until I feel the time is right to cast it. Once my inner self gives the green light be it daylight or nighttime I go right ahead and cast it.
Listen to yourself, you'll know when the time is right to cast a spell.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I perform my spells and rituals at night because that's when I usually have time to myself. It's easier for me to get comfortable and put myself 100% into my work when I know that I'm not going to be interrupted by anyone. I have performed spells and rituals during the day, but I've only done it when I've been positive that I wouldn't be interrupted. I'm big on privacy.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I used to feel the exact same way about working in the night. I think with me it was this ... hmm ... common thought witches usually work at night :) But it was quite hard to find the time to perform rituals after sunset because of my hubby and kid - by the time they were both asleep, I was exhausted, so casting was kinda, I don't know, tiring.
Then I started my current job where I go to work at noon while my child is at school at 8 am, my husband is at work at 8.30, so I have my own time till I go to work. And at first it wasn't great, I couldn't focus my energy, had some problems with interruptions and it generally didn't feel right. But I am stubborn and continued working during the day :) so it's all OK now.
I can totally see where you are coming from. I'd say, do what feels right to you. If you feel like working after sunset, do so. The more calm you are, the more you focus and the better the outcome of the rituals are :)
Vine-Ivy

Post by Vine-Ivy »

Thank you everyone. This is all really helpful. I think I prefer to cast spells at night.
However, I do have my partner come to stay for long weekends and this is normally when the moon is in one of the quarters, and normally when I want to cast spells. So this completely eliminates any spell casting until he leaves (I've not come out of the broom closet to him yet).
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I tend to work spells during certain moon phases so most of my work is done at night.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I'm a night-owl...
When it comes to magick, I do it when I'm alone...
When hubby's down for his nap or down for the night.
I do tho, feel more powerful at night.
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Vine-Ivy

Post by Vine-Ivy »

I've recently been learning about planetary hours to coinside with the planetary days. I think it's amazing how much astrology plays into magick.
I will definitely be using those to give my magick a boost if a can't craft at night for whatever reason!
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

I did some of the most powerful rituals in my "career" during the night, usually out in the woods but not only.
There is something additionally magickal about going to the woods alone, in the middle of the night, sometimes dressed in ritual clothes. There is something dehumanizing in the forest during the night. All your human thoughts, fears and emotions are detached. And here you stand, a "madman" with unshakable Will and Intention to perform powerful magick. I really recommend experiencing something like this at least once to get to know your limits :)

But in general, as most of the people said above - whenever you feel like it's the Right Time to perform the magick, you can perform the magick.
It can be even spontaneous, some of the most powerful magick happens when you just improvise. No need for any formulas, everything can be done with the power of Will alone.
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Levitating Cat wrote:I did some of the most powerful rituals in my "career" during the night, usually out in the woods but not only.
There is something additionally magickal about going to the woods alone, in the middle of the night, sometimes dressed in ritual clothes. There is something dehumanizing in the forest during the night. All your human thoughts, fears and emotions are detached. And here you stand, a "madman" with unshakable Will and Intention to perform powerful magick. I really recommend experiencing something like this at least once to get to know your limits :)
Oh man I would LOVE to go out into my woods one night. I have a pretty dense area right behind my back porch. Usually at night, I will go sit out there with some incense, a couple candles, my tarot cards, iphone or tablet for music, and my BOS. lately I have been able to do this every night when my little one goes to sleep & it has helped me tremendously. Sometimes I do more in depth magickal work or I will just meditate, staring at the stars and being so close to the woods. It makes me feel connected and so at peace.
I have done work out there in the day time, but I have always preferred night to do just about anything, magickal or mundane. I feel more alive at night and I usually spend my days counting down the hours until it gets dark lol.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Liminal hours have different powers.

Dawn - gives a boost to new beginnings, re-starts and overcoming loss
Noon - strength to overcome opposition & for good favor
Dusk - use for endings, letting go, banishing
Midnight - the midpoint between one day and the next is all-purpose & is when a full moon is the highest/strongest
Morena21

Post by Morena21 »

Vine-Ivy wrote: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:40 pm Hey!

So I was wondering if your prefer to cast spells at night-time or day-time, and your reasons for doing so? Does it depend on the type of spell you are casting or is it just that you either prefer day over night, or vice versa?

For some reason I always think that spells need to be cast when the moon is out but feel like I want to break this way if thinking. What are your thoughts?

~Vine-Ivy~
I feel like in the night..there is less active energy.. I feel that it makes it easier for the energy of my spells to move around and do what they must,

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”