The Natural Born Witch Question

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Heartsong

The Natural Born Witch Question

Post by Heartsong »

My husband and I were recently having a discussion, in which I, speaking about some of my less pleasant encounters with spirits, said to him,

“I didn’t ask for this.”

He looked at me for a very long moment before he replied, “You know, it's funny you say that. My anthropology professor back in college talked about how witches from cultures around the world often say that they don’t choose to be witches.They're born witches.”

Ok, first off, I was just flat out flabbergasted that witchcraft was being discussed in an anthropology class. I mean, thrilled (evidence that perhaps people are more aware of the pagan and witchcraft communities than I thought), but flabbergasted. Secondly, I was super proud of him to bring up such a distractingly, thought-provoking statement (in all likelihood, he just brought it up so that I would stop thinking about negative things, so yay for hubby!). I had to take a step back and really think about what he said. Did I feel like I was born to be a witch? Did I feel like I was meant to walk this path?

I've come across the term 'natural born witch' on many sites, and, being a highly curiosity-driven person, I started looking into the concept. I can say right off the bat that I don't particularly care for the "natural" part of the term. As will be touched on later, isn't 'natural' already inherently implied when discussing witchcraft? Or birth for that matter? But that's a thread for another day.

Unsurprisingly, there are some very, very strong opinions on the subject, coming from both sides of the aisle. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure where my own resides (I'm not even sure I want to wade into that argument either, but here I am, plunging into the proverbial viper's nest of heated discussion, so...moot point). Hopefully, through this post, I'll be able to muddle my way to that, and provide some interesting information on the topic as well. So, with a hot mug of chamomile tea firmly in hand, and to quote my beloved Billy Shakes, 'Once more into the breach, my friends!' :flyingwitch:

Before I really delve into this, I want to briefly point out, for the sake of clarity, that a 'natural born witch' and what is considered a 'hereditary witch' are not one and the same. They share some similarities, granted, but as far as I have been able to tell, they are slightly different. A hereditary witch may have inherited psychic gifts from his/her family, possess a cultural background that links them to a certain regional practice or witchcraft (Celtic or Norse for example) or is the latest in a line of generational witches, but that in no way implies that they have an affinity or predisposed leaning towards witchcraft or even magic. It seems to me that the argument for witches who are born witches have an innate attachment before they are old enough to even really understand what witchcraft is.

Now, I have seen numerous versions of just what a "naturally born witch" is; some well-thought out, while others merely asinine, to put it plainly. Many of the qualifications (and I use that term very loosely) listed for being born a witch sounded suspiciously close to those of an individual born with psychic abilities. Primarily, the indicators are as follows:

1. Psychic abilities ranging from precognition, psychic dreams, a talent for divination, channeling, energy manipulation to mediumship
2. An affinity for nature and animals
3. Mood affected by the moon
4. Either psychic abilities or witchcraft runs in your family
5. An "intuition" regarding magic, healing, nature, and again, psychic abilities
6. An uncanny streak of just, plain luck (such as finding the perfect parking spot in a crowded lot or looking down and finding a $100 bill on the ground)

Personally, I found this definition, written by Ellen Dugan, to be the most insightful and helpful in understanding the difference between a 'just plain psychic' (if there is any such thing) and a 'natural born witch':
I define a “Natural Witch” as a practitioner who intuitively senses the magick and the spirit inherent in all things. Natural Witches are practical, down-to-earth, and keep their magick personal by adding a little something extra to the spellwork.
According to Dugan, natural born witches are thus best differentiated from psychics by their intuitive connection to magic and all things spirit. She goes on to further state:
When you acknowledge, validate, and work with intuition in your magick, it will add a whole new level to the Witchcraft that you practice...In fact, intuition is associated with the three main levels of awareness. This natural intuitive ability does correspond with the magickal trinity of earth, sea, and sky. First, there is the physical level and your bodily sensations: this ties to the earth. Second, there is the relation to your emotional level, your feelings,which corresponds to the element of water and the sea. Lastly, on a third level, intuition is connected with the mental level, images and ideas,which links in the element of air and the sky...Once you learn how to honor and tap into your intuition, your magick and your life will definitely improve for the better.
( http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/1344 )

Now, this is where I see a massive hole in the definition. As pointed out in Dugan's article, intuition seems to only go so far. Just as someone is born with an innate talent for writing, carpentry, or cooking, some people are drawn to all things ethereal, spiritual, and magical. However, that doesn't in any way necessarily mean that such individuals are more capable than someone who has had to work long and hard to achieve any level of skill. Quite the contrary, and as has been proven time and again, it is effort , what you put into it, that measures success. Cheri Andrews from Witch-vox.com has an article that puts it succinctly like this:
Perhaps one of the greatest gifts we are granted in our lives is the ability to choose our own destiny. We spend our entire lives being pummeled with ideas of how we should dress, live, and worship; but the pressures of our world can not stop us from seeking our potential in the spiritual world. We are Witches, and we are that way because we choose to be, not because we are born with a special gift or a social defect.

I think that anyone who has endeavored to explore Witchcraft will agree that the work is a part of the learning process. Those who work diligently to learn will also likely become better educated than those who boast only natural ability. Anyone who has run in competition will know that those who have a low or mediocre physical ability can often eventually beat out their naturally gifted competitors; simply by putting in more effort. Natural ability is no match for the intense desire to learn and succeed.
( http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a ... ds&id=2114 )

On the other hand, a counterargument on this exact same page offered compelling rhetoric to the contrary, in effect saying that because of factors such as genetics, past lives, and the environment into which we are born, there are those who truly are born to be Witches:
Some of our worldview, then, we have from birth. Other aspects, however, come from our environment. So too with being a Witch. Many people are born with a natural tendency toward Witchcraft. Fortunate are those who are born into an environment where that part of themselves is nurtured. Other people fight against society all their lives because of the way they are. Some people lose what makes them a Witch as they grow older. Others discover this hidden part of themselves late in life.

Those people who discover their Witchy nature (or a longing for a Witchy nature) later in life have a great challenge ahead of them. They must overcome a lot of early programming and slowly teach themselves how to alter their perspective. This is something that sounds simple, but is actually very difficult. I also believe that, because of our society, it is much easier to lose that worldview than cultivate it. Pressure from all sides can make the effort of living a Witch's life too difficult.

This is the reason that I believe most Witches are born. Always having sensed their difference, they have a firmer base to stand on. Being ostracized, they know themselves well. They can't help these things and eventually recognize it. Some would choose the path of least resistance if they could -- but they can't. The truth is that people who are born with a tendency toward Witchcraft will be more likely to pursue it than those who don't. And so, for many people, discovering Witchcraft is like coming home. ~Ivy. V
And still, a third viewpoint on this same page was offered, and this is the one I most identify with:
Witchcraft ( or, if you prefer, Wiccan Witchcraft) is a way of life. It is a mentality, a spirituality, a philosophy and a code of ethics. It is a method of thinking, believing, feeling and acting that incorporates body, soul and mind to the energy flows of the Earth, the Cosmos and those beings around us. When a person learns, either through study, practice or coincidence, to feel the energy around him, to direct that energy, flow with it and accord his actions with the most positive use of that energy, he has become a witch. He has become able to respect life, to live peacefully, to make sound judgments (most of the time) and to respect the Earth.

How we come to be this person is something of a mystery. Some of us seem to be born with it; others of us seem to grapple with these notions constantly, never really sure if we've made peace or not. Many people have called the first group of people "natural witches." I, for one, think the term is laughable. After all, have you ever heard of an unnatural witch? A synthetic witch, perhaps?

Because of the world we live in, we have glamorized and completely dramatized what it is to be a witch. Even those of us that should know better still think of the spell-caster, the great diviner, the powerful wizard or sorcerer. We still expect witches to have "powers beyond reality." We neglect the mundane but still terribly important aspects of real witches: caring, giving, teaching, guiding. It is almost as if these properties are meaningless unless they work right along side the more "mystical" aspects of the witch. If we understood that these aspects are just as crucial to being a witch as the magickal aspects, then we would never have to ask the question, "Are there any natural witches?" A better question might be, "Are there any natural magicians?" for it seems that it is the magick aspect that we are questioning. But when we recognize witchcraft as a lifestyle and philosophy, we have to understand though we grow into it and develop it, it is always a part of us, and therefore always natural.

The power of the witch is something that is found deep within ourselves, but how we learn to manifest that power is different in each person. The Goddess grants us the power--but it is up to us to learn to develop it. A true witch is neither born nor made--it is something that we evolve into through our experience. We do not make ourselves witches, but we allow the Goddess to lead us into it. We, through our own free will, become witches through realizing our natural ability. Becoming a witch is not difficult, but it is hard work. It requires personal experience, study, dedication and discipline. It requires us to look into ourselves, to master our talents and to use them to benefit others. It requires us to conquer the beasts inside us that tell us, "You will never amount to anything."

We none of us is born witches. We do not pop out of the womb with athame in hand, or Book of Shadows in the backpack. But we all are born with the potential--though many choose not to use it. Perhaps it scares them. Perhaps they don't want the responsibility that witches take upon themselves. Perhaps they do not believe. Either way, it is not the ability that hinders them: it is the lack of desire. It is the lack of passion.
~Alaine VioletMoon
Yes, from my own personal experience, I feel that I was drawn to this path from childhood, only finding my feet on it well after college. Do I fit many of the qualifications, if not all, that have been drawn up to identify 'natural born witches'? Yes, I do. But do I feel like I have a talent, an innate ability to work magic better than others? Absolutely not. Do I think that I'm a naturally born witch or that I was born to be a witch? No, I believe that I made a choice, one I am entirely happy with.

Do I think naturally born witches exist? I'm still on the fence, it seems.

I do, however, think that all of us have an ability to work with magic, or energy, if you'll allow me to use the term. One of the most important aspects of being a witch is our deep, abiding love of the natural world, of which magic is very much a part. To me, magic is the connections that exist between all things, living and spirit, and it is the witch who is able to not only learn to sense those connections, but to also pluck them, like chords, and thus inspire change in their world and the world around them. Nature is magic and vice versa.

I also think that there are some very interesting and persuasive arguments made for and against the concept of naturally born witches. I'm not looking to start a debate on this topic, I just wanted to share what I'd found and my musings on the subject. That being said, I'm always interested to hear all of your thoughts.

~Heartsong smileylove
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Natural Born Witch Question

Post by Firebird »

You know Heartsong, as I started to read you post I wondered if it is in the DNA or something... like some one who is born in a mans body but would prefer men to women, wasn't their choice, and perhaps they grappled with is for years but somehow always knew something was different, then finally embraces it.
eh ....was just a thought :flyingwitch:
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

firebirdflys wrote:You know Heartsong, as I started to read you post I wondered if it is in the DNA or something... like some one who is born in a mans body but would prefer men to women, wasn't their choice, and perhaps they grappled with is for years but somehow always knew something was different, then finally embraces it.
FF
That's a good thought, and I quite agree that it's entirely possible! It's also interesting to consider that there are individuals out there who could be "hard-wired", for lack of a better term, in their DNA or in their minds, with a predisposition towards witchcraft, psychic energy, etc.. And what seems to be the crux of the argument, the thread that's running on each side of the debate, is that while many feel that there are certain people who experience a strong pull or urge towards witchcraft, they must still choose to follow that path, much as PhoenixFlight points out.
Personally, I do believe that there are 'natural born witches', though I do not agree with the term. That's not the exact lexicon I would have chosen for it myself, but it vaguely gets the point across.
Yeah, I don't particularly care for the terminology, but I don't currently have a better one, other than perhaps 'innate witch', but even that doesn't really work for me. :evilwitch:
think that people born as such, do have a little bit of a majick already, but I personally think it is still your own choice to follow the path or not. My perfect example to that is those who are natural born witches, but choose another path. They might go on to become a true believer in the Catholic or Christian path, but because of their greater ability to connect with energy, they might go on and become a priest in their respective religion, and be able to commune with whom they believe to be their Father God figure (I really hope that last part made sense to someone other than me hahaha).
Yes, that does make sense. :) It also makes me curious as to whether someone who is a 'natural born witch' would have an easier time connecting with deity (which really doesn't seem to be talked about a great deal in what I've read). Now, if they have a greater affinity for energy than the average individual, it might go without saying that they are able to have a closer relationship with their chosen God/dess than many start out with. I'm not saying in any way that they're 'chosen' by any divine power, just that they may that making a connection comes more naturally (Ugh, using that term in this context is going to drive me bananas, I can already see it...).
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Very interesting discussion. I dont know how I would define it but Ive always had an inclination at an early age. Ive always bee super intuitive. Eerily so at some point. I'm never wrong and always trust/go with my intuition.Ive always found it very easy to work with energy, manifestation, spells etc. They all come very easily to me, even when I was younger.

I know that my Father and Mother dabbled in the Craft when they were younger. I'm not sure about my grandmother, but I do know that my great grandmother was a witch, gypsy fortune teller. So I dont know if that makes me a "natural born witch" or a "generational/hereditary witch"

Very interesting topic. I cant wait to read more.
Garnetsun

Post by Garnetsun »

Well, what a treasure of a post. It is really an interesting subject, but quite nebulous too.

I believe that everyone has a part -big or small- of this gift. A sensibility given at birth (I go really well with the DNA bit) -babies and children seem to have a greater sensibility, since they wonder at everything the world has given us-, that we might loose when we grow up. Whether because believing in Nature and to continue to seek wonder within Her is really difficult in our time, or that we might get scared, or belittled if we seem to have psychic abilities. A lot of people, I think, dabbled into the Craft at one point, whether by curiosity -Charmed surely helped a lot ahaha-, or by a real appeal, but it's inherent to our beings. But it can be really difficult to accept such gifts.
(it's quite like philosophy, we question a lot, and wonder at everything the Goddess and God give us. And we make ourselves from that. From our opinion, our feelings, and from the community we blong to)
Personnally, how many nights I've spent wondering why I could hear or sense beings ? Or felt overwhelmed by their presence? Or questioning my faith because it was "weird" and uncommon ? I still do sometimes.
It can scare us into forgetting this ability, and stopping believing in magick and Nature, and in our abilities.

So I believe we are all born Wicthes. But like you said, we have to choose to pursue this way, to believe our faith in all those happenings and links are, well, worth it. Worth knowing that no one might believe us, that people might mock us, that Paganism just began to work its way into modern era.
And wow, yay to your husband's anthropoly class, it's amazing to talk about that in such a way ! And a double interest for him, I suppose :)

But also, it raises the question of "hereditary" witches. If we base ourselves with the idea that everyone might be born with a sensibility, everyone is naturally a Witch.
It makes more sense to consider them as... raised witches ? They dabbled into the Craft from an early age, and their wonder and spirituality are encouraged, and grow with understanding. While their abilities and powers might not be greater than other witches, they have access to it from a younger age and grew with it. More control, more knowledge and more understanding can lead to a more powerful witch. Because she, or he, will be one with it quicker.
And that is important. Self doubt and sabotage are less likely in this case. And well, it's something.

Sometimes, I feel like i could go on and on on this subject...
"People only see what they are prepared to see."
Ever changing, ever learning, ever growing.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I would say I'm a natural born witch. I can't not be a witch. I've tried. The same with being a nurse. I can't not be a nurse. I've tried.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
Philomena

Post by Philomena »

firebirdflys wrote:You know Heartsong, as I started to read you post I wondered if it is in the DNA or something... like some one who is born in a mans body but would prefer men to women, wasn't their choice, and perhaps they grappled with is for years but somehow always knew something was different, then finally embraces it.
FF
Just me musing but, I think if we all look back to before we started this path, there can be key indicators that we were meant to embrace this. Don't get me wrong, we were not all born psychic, but even something's simple like being in tune to animals and/or nature, always having weird dreams (even if you didn't understand them), being sensitive to others emotions, and naturally gifted in healing can almost be predeterminations. Not everyone who has these experiences become witches, but maybe if things have gone a little bit differently they could have. For example, someone who as a talent for healing or tending injuries ends up studying to be a doctor instead of finding this path (not that you can't be a doctor and a witch :P); could it be fate? Maybe he/she has a child with the same gift or any kind of indictor (there could be countless), and it turns out that child finds the path. Some are born into a family who practices and grow and learn with it as a part of them. IDK, I feel DNA and fate can both be valid.
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

Oh wow loving this thread! Anyhow, here is my two cents, so take it or leave it, LOL!

I agree with being a "natural born witch", however I do not care much for the term. As far back as I can remember, I can recall seeing orbs, being fascinated with fae, unicorns, and other magickal creatures. As I got older (about 12) that is when I let myself "dig-in" I began studying, reading book after book. I was drawn in completely, like one would a incredible movie. Once I knew my feelings had a physical side that is when I began praciticing spells, doing rituals, etc. Here I am at 33 and I still get excited just like I did 21+ years ago. So yes, being natural I can most certainly agree with.
Agarwaen

Post by Agarwaen »

I am not disagreeing with anyone here, and I have only skimmed most of the posts.
I have no psychic abilities what so ever, and never will have any. I do have a great affinity for nature, but only in that I noticed its nuances. It's smells, how the air feels, how the animals change as the weather does. But that is all. I am as mundane a witch as one can possibly get. It's a little lonely, hearing all these stories of ghosts and energies. Though I am grateful that I don't have to deal with it, it does lead me to wonder occasionally if I can actually count as a witch. I don't think I'll ever be able to consider myself a Natural witch, even though I do believe that I was meant to walk this path.
p3nathan

Post by p3nathan »

I've always been drawn to it, which may have to do with the fact that I live in an area pretty famous for witchcraft... basically the Salem of England. I suppose like many things, there may be a spark from the beginning of life that can develop if we pursue it.
Lunar Rose

Post by Lunar Rose »

p3nathan wrote:I live in an area pretty famous for witchcraft... basically the Salem of England.
Sorry, I know this is slightly off topic, but I'm intrigued! Where is the Salem of England? I'm new to witchcraft and haven't reached the point of researching the history of English witchcraft yet, but I'd love know!

BB
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

I love the topic Heart as always you make some good info avalible and thought provoking stuff lol
i have to say this on the topic

to me this is how i see the "natural witch"

the easier things come to you and the more abilities you end up with the higher the knowledge or IQ so to speak
everyone has the natural ability to be a witch its just a mater of how easy it comes to you.

I have to agree with the

1. Psychic abilities ranging from precognition, psychic dreams, a talent for divination, channeling, energy manipulation to mediumship
2. An affinity for nature and animals
3. Mood affected by the moon
4. Either psychic abilities or witchcraft runs in your family
5. An "intuition" regarding magic, healing, nature, and again, psychic abilities
6. An uncanny streak of just, plain luck (such as finding the perfect parking spot in a crowded lot or looking down and finding a $100 bill on the ground)

As a guide line though as to how high or strong you have become only because to be honest they seem to be something ive notices within my life and somethings ive never thought about yet find to be a thing also like the moon and it running in my family i mean ive thought about it but never really applied it to how it might effect my abilities exactly not deeply anyway and the good luck. ive always known i was lucky but i never thought of it as me being a witch but cus i have irish and Scottish in me
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Haha! This was a really interesting read. I'm going to have to say, I'm probably a natural born witch then. I agree with Frosty. I can't just NOT be a witch. I really tried, and now I just can't stay away. And all of those things on that list, pretty much sum me up. haha! My parents constantly call me the golden child, I get everything and anything without even trying. And I have the most amazing luck with most things.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

I feel like many of you, in that I don't think I can NOT be a witch. But in many ways, I don't feel that being a witch is what defines me. In all honesty, I don't think I want it to define me. I just am.

That thought, to me, is what makes being a witch natural, and perhaps that can be said about anything that is integral to our daily lives. It's just a part of who you are, and not necessarily that you were born to be one way or another. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
seidkonacat

Post by seidkonacat »

This is a great question, one I've had reason to consider for quite a long time. I have actual witchcraft practitioners in my family (my Nana was a Strega) so it's something that has lingered in my mind for awhile. I love the background you provided--very thorough! I think I need to marinate more on the subject but I just wanted to say job well done--great topic, great research, great presentation, :3

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”