What happens to the offerings afterwards?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
firebirdflys
Forum Manager
Forum Manager

Re: What happens to the offerings afterwards?

Post by firebirdflys »

Kassandra wrote:"Mommy, I don't think Buddha ever eats the stuff you leave for him. I've watched this altar for a long time. I check the fruit and stuff, and he never eats it, Mom," like I had done this serious scientific study, and had to break the findings to her gently.
OMG...I'm rolling :lol: smiley_dance you crack me up!
Kassandra wrote:I couldn't understand why my mom always left Buddha cooked rice and a small bowl of fruit on the altar all the time. So, I would eat the fruit sometimes (give me a break, I was 6)
So that's what happens to the offerings afterwards!

JonnyRoXXX

Post by JonnyRoXXX »

Don't feel bad Kassandra... I did the same thing at my friends houses... I thought they were snacks.... but I was only like nine at the time...
We didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the worlds been turning- Billy Joel

Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Lol

Sarraqa

Post by Sarraqa »

I couldn't understand why my mom always left Buddha cooked rice and a small bowl of fruit on the altar all the time. So, I would eat the fruit sometimes (give me a break, I was 6). When I finally got in trouble, I said, "Mommy, he really doesn't care if I eat them, 'cause see, nothing happened when I did." I had been inspecting the rice and fruit for weeks, each time she left a fresh offering, looking for the tangerines peeled, or the rice to be less than the day before. But, nothing. So, I said very consolingly, like I didn't want the shock of this revelation to hurt her feelings, "Mommy, I don't think Buddha ever eats the stuff you leave for him. I've watched this altar for a long time. I check the fruit and stuff, and he never eats it, Mom," like I had done this serious scientific study, and had to break the findings to her gently.

I often wondered if Buddha was friends with Santa Claus, since they both visited the house, but no one saw them. Who knows, maybe they are buds. Yeah, "Multi-cultural, Multi-spiritual, Multi-crazy" times, haha.
That was just had. xD

Also, thanks for posting this! I always wondered myself :woot: now I have lots of ideas.
"The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff."
-Carl Sagan

Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

In Shinto, eating an offering after is it given to a deity is perfectly acceptable as it is viewed as unreasonable to throw away perfectly good food. This is the view I have so I consume any food offering afterwards- if it's good enough for the Gods, it's good enough for me. I also light candles in their honour or offer them bouquets of flowers.

astrowitch

What Do You Do With A Food Offering Afterwards?

Post by astrowitch »

When I offer food/drink to the God/Goddess, what do I do with the food afterwards? Throw it away? Or is there a special/better way to dispose of it?

DPhoenix

Re: What Do You Do With A Food Offering Afterwards?

Post by DPhoenix »

It's the symbolism of the offering that matters. What you do with the food is up to you. If the food is inside I leave it out over night and throw it away in the morning. If it's outside I leave it there. Again, it's up to you and how you feel it should be done. Hope that helps. Good luck & goddess bless! <3
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix

Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Just merging these threads to conserve digital trees. :) Carry on, new responses and opinions are always welcome!

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”