Hand fasting?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
HippieWitch

Hand fasting?

Post by HippieWitch »

So what exactly happens during hand fasting? My fiancée Sarah and I are having hand fasting on Samhain and I've gotten so many conflicting answers from the web, I'm not sure anymore.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Shiloh
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hand fasting?

Post by Xiao Rong »

Oooh, you two are getting hand fasted?! Congratulations!! (Sorry, don't know much about the ritual)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I would hold a circle in the regular fashion and within that sacred space, have some one bind your hands together, you say some vows or someone reads them to you, then jump the broom!
What sort of conflicting info are you getting?, Maybe we can help clarify.
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
kay 32

Post by kay 32 »

Hi Hello
I read your post about handfasting and it's something that I'm very interested in. Not having a full answer to suggest I did look up some stuff here on the web. I quite liked this link
http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/handfas ... pleHF1.htm

One thing that I would love to do is to actually carry out a handfasting ceremony with my wife, even though we have been married for ....... erm lots of years.

I have another secret wish as well and that is I hope that one day our eldest daughter might wed in this fashion. One thing that I think that they missed out on the link I sent you, was the fact that they never mentioned jumping the besom which I think would complete your ceremony. Just out of interest I have a wonderful picture here on my lap top of a ceremonial besom all dressed up for a hand fasting ceremony. I actually make my own besoms from full size to little ones and I also have a very nice decorated besom that takes pride of place in my garden. If I can some day I would like to post a picture of it on here.
Any way that's about as much as I can say on the subject except of course to wish you and your fiancé many congratulations and I wish you a long and happy life together. Well done you should be very proud :-)
Take care
BB K :-)
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

When my husband and I were handfasted we wrote our vows, had different colirs of ribbon representing the Elements, and had our attendents tie our hands together with the ribbons. Each person spoke a spell of their own making as they placed the ribbon. At the end, the minister checked the bond, and when it held, she said "The Elements have pronounced you Handfasted, and so do I." We didn't really have formal guidelines, so we tailored our ceremony to what felt right for us.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Snowcat, that sounds really beautiful ... I've never been one of those girls that dreams about their wedding day but what you just described might make me start, haha.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
HippieWitch

Post by HippieWitch »

Thanks for all the replies! I almost forgot about posting here. I'm dealing witha really nasty toothache, so hard to stay focused on anything right now. But yeah, I've just seen so many write ups on different ways to have a handfasting, I didn't know which was correct.

Biggest thing is trying to find a priestess, i have issues with me I won't go in depth into publicly like this. Only found two in the surrounding areas of Knoxville, TN but haven't heard back from either.

I do plan on posting pics and maybe a video from our handfasting so everyone can see. :-) Well, I'm going to hop off here and take another pain pill.

Oh, can anyone make a list of what a typical handfasting consists of? This is going to be our legal marriage so yeah, I want it to be perfect. She already has called me a bridezilla lol.
Shiloh
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

HippieWitc wrote:I do plan on posting pics and maybe a video from our handfasting so everyone can see. :-)
That would be great!
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I hate toothaches.

I found an ordained minister by looking online. I'm a Solitary, so I wasn't as concerned with a priestess, as I was with having someone open to working with what we wanted. She was wonderful.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

Well I'm not sure about exactly what happens during hand fastings, but congratulations! :)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Congratulations HippieWitch! I would love to do a hand fasting ceremony with my bf but I don't think he'd go for it lol. It sounds so beautiful. I keep meaning to do some research on some Buddhist/Pagan wedding ideas since he's Buddhist.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”