Answer: When did you first consider yourself a witch?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Blue Luna

Answer: When did you first consider yourself a witch?

Post by Blue Luna »

Hey Guys
I'm in a predicament, I've been learning bout seeing Wiccan. I pretty much know the basics of what Wiccan. I know bout the book of shadows and started my own, I also know about the different diaties. I've even practice a few simple spells. The one thing I have left to do is build my altar. And even though I've gotten this far I sill have lot to learn. I'm just wondering what time would be propriety for me to start saying I'm a witch. Do I start when I feel its right? Do I have to know certain things? Or what? I would really be grateful if you share your own experience with me, and give me some advise.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Answer: When did you first consider yourself a witch?

Post by SnowCat »

I'm from a generation that said "if it feels good, do it." Not sure we were talking about witchcraft, but I've always gone by what I felt.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Blue Luna wrote:Hey Guys
I'm in a predicament, I've been learning bout seeing Wiccan. I pretty much know the basics of what Wiccan. I know bout the book of shadows and started my own, I also know about the different diaties. I've even practice a few simple spells. The one thing I have left to do is build my altar. And even though I've gotten this far I sill have lot to learn. I'm just wondering what time would be propriety for me to start saying I'm a witch. Do I start when I feel its right? Do I have to know certain things? Or what? I would really be grateful if you share your own experience with me, and give me some advise.
My experience with the metaphysical became a natural evolution for me that eventually lead me to witchcraft. It started with Feng Shui, which opened my mind up to the idea that God was more then what I was taught as a child growing up. It shifted my religious beliefs & ideals and got me searching to really understand how it all fits together.

As time went on I began studying different religions and practices. Eventually coming to the conclusion that we all practice magick in one way or another. Whether it be praying, meditating, chanting affirmations, or doing a traditional spell/ritual.

In the end do what resonates with your soul. Talk to your spirit guide if you want someone to lead you. Read read read... ponder ponder ponder... then practice practice practice.

As far as reading goes this is a good place to start [edit] this is a PDF

Good luck & Goddess Bless! <3
-D Phoenix
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

To be completely honest, I still don't really call myself a Witch, despite being a Pagan for more than 3 years now. I like it as a political identifier, as a word that challenges people's perceptions of feminism, spirituality, what humans are capable, etc., or as a way to build solidarity with the Pagan movement as a whole, so I don't mind applying it to myself in that sense. I want to believe that a Witch means a wise woman, but I think it would be silly to call myself "wise" just now (I'm only 21, after all!) I don't want to call myself a Witch in the sense that I have access to supernatural powers that others don't. So I guess I consider myself a Witch aspirationally, in the sense that I'd like to be able to embody everything that the word means, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Xiao Rong wrote:I don't think I'm quite there yet.
I'm of the opinion that we're never 'there'. That life's a journey and when we're 'there' we're done with this life and if we have more learning to do we come back and do the whole song and dance again. I'm also of the opinion that most witches who practice for a significant amount of time (not as a fad but a way of life) are old souls who have been around the block a few times.

I know when I compare myself to my mentors, I have a long way to go. Yet when I teach I realize just how far I've come. I'm sure even 3rd degree witches, Priests and Priestesses feel the same way too at times.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Blue Luna

Post by Blue Luna »

Thank you guys :)
What you've said has really helped a lot :)
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I think when I was 10 or 11 and found a witchcraft book in the empty dresser
my step-father brought home. Situations and circumstances occurring at
home made me delve deep into that book to help me change the circumstances
at home for a better life.
The Christian God didn't help my cries for help so I turned to witchcraft, that's
when I considered myself a witch cause it gave me the power and energy to
change my life.
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

I was 13 when I began exploring into Witchcraft. I had always been drawn to it though. I can honestly remember being little and feeling myself float (I know that now this was a OBE or Astral Traveling) At that time of course I recalled it as flying like Peter Pan ! Over the years my knowledge has grown and I am happy and content in knowing I am a Witch. I generally just say I am Wiccan or Pagan though if people ask.
scaravich

Post by scaravich »

There was a time I called myself a witch, but I don't anymore. I think I'm further along my path than ever... it's just not a word I feel really fits me. Of course, it's just me -- by others' definitions, I may certainly be a witch, and that's fine. It doesn't bother me to be called one. It just isn't a word I particularly fancy. But then again, I tend to stay away from anything that sounds too definitive.

If you're speaking on Wiccan terms (there are many paths and teachings which can be called "witch"), there's a few popular camps... those who say "whenever you feel like one," those who say "after you've been initiated," and those who say, "after a year and a day." The latter usually still involves an initiation. In place of initiation, solitaries sometimes use a dedication rite.

Personally, I think if you really feel like a witch, you're a witch. But it depends on what kind of definition it means to you. If you feel being a witch is an identity, all it takes is to identify as one.

I'll advice, though... it's not about the things you've done. It doesn't matter how many altars you've put together or how many years you've been doing magic or how many spells you've written or pages of your book of shadows you've filled or craft-related books you've read. At its heart, Wicca is a spiritual journey. It is about you, discovering yourself, and discovering the greater whole that you're a part of. I think when you really feel like you've come to realize where you've been, where you are now, and what MAY lie ahead (we can never really know!)... when you really see and recognize the path you're on... that's when you'll be comfortable calling yourself a witch (It seems like right now, you're still wondering. Which is of course, a wonderful thing! Every journey has its beginnigs, too).

You'll know when that time comes. And hey, you may change paths before then, anyway. Which is still just fine :)
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I started my path by exploring different religions. I was very interested in learning about every religion there is. It started when I was about 10 when I read "The show must go on" - the story of Freddie Mercury who I admire a lot. So his religion was Zoroastrianism, which I found very interesting and started exploring. And then I realized I want to know about more religions. I never really called myself a witch until I found a forum where I found the term "eclectic witch" as I never really followed any particular path, but followed different parts of different paths. And I don't call myself a witch often now either. It's not really important what you call yourself. If you feel a witch, then you are one.
Book of shadows is a good way to get your thoughts and spells in order, but is not really the thing that defines you as a witch and neither are altars, familiars or other "witchy" things. I started my BoS about 5 years ago, 2 years after I started practicing regularly and it's still not even half way finished. I don't have a permanent altar, I have a drawer where I keep my things and set up an alter whenever I need it and it's never the same.
It's not about what you call yourself, neither is it about how many spells you perform or how often. It's a path you are drawn to, not some Harry Potter big bang effects (although I absolutely adore Harry Potter).
Don't try to define everything, the important thing is to explore more, that's the interesting part.
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

I've been a practicing Pagan for about 10 years now, and I only just started calling myself a Witch about a year ago.
For a long time I avoided the term because I knew what sort of images it would call up in other people's heads, and though I eventually mostly grew out of that it didn't occur to me that I might BE a Witch enough to call myself one until about a year ago.

It occurred to me when my girlfriend started calling herself a Witch. She was Catholic when I met her, but uncomfortable with her faith. She was, however, also very uncomfortable with paganism and witchcraft. Through long late-night discussion with our (at the time) mutual boyfriend, she realized that she had never really been Catholic and that it had never done anything for her. She was also extremely interested in magick, and became interested in Asatru. She would message me and we would talk magick and spellcraft and earth and spirit and so on, and she said something along the lines of, "I'm so glad you can be like my big sister witch!" and I was kind of taken aback. I had gotten more into spellcraft at that point, whereas before I had been much more about the spiritual side of Wicca (I was a prime example of "Yes, you can be Wiccan and not a Witch"), and I thought, "I guess I AM a Witch now... and I'm proud of that."

I especially identify with the following poem that I think just about sums up my character-related goals and beliefs almost entirely:

To be a witch is to love & be loved.
To be a witch is to know everything & nothing at all.
To be a witch is to move amongst the stars while staying on earth.
To be a witch is to change the world around you & yourself.
To be a witch is to share & give while receiving all the while.
To be a witch is to dance & sing & hold hands with the universe.
To be a witch is to honor the gods & yourself.
To be a witch is to Be Magick not just perform it.
To be a witch is to be honorable or nothing at all.
To be a witch is to accept others who are not.
To be a witch is to know what you feel is right & good.
To be a witch is to harm none.
To be a witch is to know the ways of old.
To be a witch is to see beyond the barriers.
To be a witch is to follow the moon.
To be a witch is to be one with the gods.
To be a witch is to study & to learn.
To be a witch is to be the teacher & the student.
To be a witch is to acknowledge the truth.
To be a witch is to live with the earth & not just on it.
To be a witch is to be truly free!

(Author Unknown)

I am not all the way there yet, but that is where I aim and I have made a good deal of progress over the years, and so I think I can safely and proudly call myself a Witch.
Ch4rmed

Post by Ch4rmed »

I dont know..since when i was kid i liked magic so much...that gave me very strong imagination:) 2 years ago i finished my BOS maybe i put something more in it with years..not maybe, certanly:)i dont know..how to explain when exaclly..but i know that im a witch in soul..althou i dont respect only wicca many other religions have amazing stuff in them and i like to use all good stuffs from various of religions, all that i think that its bad i delete:D I casted one serios spell on myself and it backfired on me..:)so now i dont do that..until i decide to dedicate myself more in learning and understanding of witchcraft. Witchcraft is fun (but serious), and 1st of all is very spiritual..So i will say im witch in soul but there is so much things that i need to learn..would be amazing if :flyingwitch: would really exist..i would :flyingwitch: everyday:):):)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”