How long?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Entwining-vine

How long?

Post by Entwining-vine »

This is a weird and perhaps uninsightful question but i do wonder, how long did you practise wicca or what wicca is to you before you would call yourself a wiccan/witch. My friend doesnt know i even have a wicca book let alone that i have just started learning but she basically bought a pentagram necklace (a la 'new look'!) and has dubbed herself wiccan to anyone who will listen and yeah, bit odd, im hoping to do an initaiation ritual i read about soon but have to wait till mum and dad are on holiday!

Blessed be x
AutumnMaidens

Re: How long?

Post by AutumnMaidens »

This is a question I get a lot, and I find the answer to be very personal. I know people who have been wiccan for over a decade and still feel weird referring to themselves as Wiccan. I myself felt that once I had devoted myself to the Goddess I became a Wiccan while even others didn't consider themselves Wiccan after the traditional year and a day of study.
So really it depends, there are many traditions with many different answers, pick your personal truth.

Bless
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Entwining-vine

How long?

Post by Entwining-vine »

Thankyou for your response,Yeah i sort of think that perhaps a few take a very similar approach to my friend in an almost seeing the phrase 'wicca' a fashion statement! But i have always been drawn to the wiccan path without even really knowing aboit wicca which is why i decided to pursue it further when i
Found out about it but i guess its one of those things that is always in you and you are drawn to it when the time is right

BB x
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

I know what you mean, when I found Wicca it was like somebody was reading back what I already believed which made it clear to me that this was the path for me.

And we have to love the fashion Wiccans... I don't mind as much as long as they study up on it in earnest, because otherwise they just give us a bad name. :(

Bless
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
lilmizsunshine727

Post by lilmizsunshine727 »

Entwining-vine wrote:Yeah i sort of think that perhaps a few take a very similar approach to my friend in an almost seeing the phrase 'wicca' a fashion statement!
These people are called "fluff bunnies" (or so I've read in The Sabin's Wicca for Beginners) and they do nothing but give true Wiccans a bad name. My ex boyfriend's younger sister decided she was going to do this and informed her entire high school that she was suddenly Wiccan and would put a curse on anyone who didn't give her whatever she asked for. Unbelievable. I couldn't believe she put out such a false image of Wicca when she knew nothing about it. I tried to explain to her that doing Witchcraft and being Wiccan were two TOTALLY different things. You can practice Witchcraft in the Wiccan religion, and you can also practice Witchcraft along with any other religion. She obviously didn't understand or just didn't care. I never found out if anything happened to her because of her new self proclaimed power.
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none. -William Shakespeare
brythonicwitch

Post by brythonicwitch »

I think I had been practising about six months when I began to feel like I could call myself Wiccan.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”