Tools for a young and relatively poor witch(:

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
RainingMoon

Tools for a young and relatively poor witch(:

Post by RainingMoon »

Before I start all my questioning (you dont need to answer them all, any help is appreciated, and pictures too) I would like to say that I am 13, do not have a lot of money (although I'll be able to get a job soon), my family doesn't know i am a witch and i'm not comfortable telling them yet, and I can't buy things online.

Ok question time(:

Chalice- is there any particular material (glass, metal, etc) that's best? Does it have to look like anything special? Can I get one from anywhere? Also how can I personalize it so it can seem like its MINE and for MY rituals (this question goes for all tools)?

Censor/Bowl/Cauldron- Is there a very big difference between all of these? Whats the main purpose of each one? How big do they need to be? Again, can they be any container or should they be something more special?

Wand- I could probably make one of these, but is there any kind of wood i should make it out of? does the type of wood make a difference? would it be a good idea to make more than one? what's a good size?

Athame- where can i find one of these? can it be any knife? should it be small, or big? are athames hard to find, and are they expensive?

Inscence- ok i know what inscence is but do i have to buy it or could i make it myself? if i can make it, how?

Ok thanks everyone sorry theres so much stuff(: Approximate prices, places to buy, and pictures are all welcome!
Greek_Male_Witch

Re: Tools for a young and relatively poor witch(:

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

You don't need tools to use the power of magic, but if YOU want them you can make them your own.

You can have a wand or an athame, the wand can be made easily, and its stronger if you make it yourself....
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
MoonlitOrchid

Post by MoonlitOrchid »

I use what is in my home already. If I need a bowl, chalice, etc. I take something that strikes my fancy right from my cupboard. I wash it and consecrate these items prior to doing magic. I found my wand right on my property. I just felt connected once I held it. That's the beauty of being a Witch....everything is an extension of self and there's really not a wrong way. Go with what you feel comfortable with and what you like....or what's available. YOU make the item special.
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

As a Witches and Wiccans we hold the ability to do rituals and spells without such things. However, they are quite nice to have. Wands are very easy to make, you just need a tree branch and a knife to widdle away the bark, then you can paint it etc. a good substitute for a chalice is a cup.

As a teen Witch and Wiccan myself, I've learned that basically its all about intention. The Goddess and God (or whatever you believe) don't care about the tools you have, it's just that you're honoring them and living a Wiccan/Witch life.

Blessed be
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
Althara

Post by Althara »

Hi Rainingmoon,

For a Chalice, I personally prefer to use glass as I associate it with the water element. Wood as a natural material is also a good choice. You certainly can get one from anywhere, there's no point buying expensive tools at this stage on your path. Just get something that looks right for you! As for personalisation, you could always paint it!

The censer is used to hold incense, and thus is completely different from the bowl and cauldron which are interchangable. The bowl is usually used to hold water, and the cauldron is another representative of the Goddess, like the Chalice. The use of each depends on what sort of ritual you are doing. For a Sabbat, for example, I would have the censer holding the incense, the Chalice containing fruit juice for the Rite of Wine and Cakes, the Cauldron containing candles/herbs/water appropriate for the Sabbat, and the bowl just with plain water to represent that element.

Wand - for this, you might want to do some research into the different kinds of wood to see which is the most appropriate for you. Again, depending on what you want to use the wand for, you might need more than one.

Athame - At your age, I would not recommend getting one. I started on the Path at 13 too, and I didn't get my Athame until I was nineteen and at uni! Your parents will definitely have issues with you owning a knife. In the meantime, you can use your wand or just the index finger of your hand as a substitute.

Incense - Yes you can certainly make your own! But the charcoal disks you use when using your own handmade incense are very smokey, as your family don't know you might be better off sticking to joss sticks, or maybe even using an oil burner and essential oils - the smell is much cleaner and doesn't leave your room smelling of smoke! Pot pourri and simmering granuals are also good ideas.

There's no need to be spending huge amounts of money at this stage either. Plenty of time later for all the pretty tools! For now, concentrate on getting to know the elements and the tools that represent them, and why. For example, the Athame is sometimes linked with Air, and sometimes with Fire. Why? Which one would you associate it with? Do you personally need 3 water-holding vessels on your Altar?
RainingMoon

Post by RainingMoon »

Thanks sooo much Althara! and everyone else too! i'll definitly work on all these
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The OP desired secrecy so should avoid a decorative dagger, chalice, censer & smokey incense as these would call attention. There is no rule that a Witch’s altar must imitate a ceremonial magician’s style. It‘s OK to use household dishes & to replace incense with an aerosol mist.

. Gear represents elements: aerosols💨, candles🕯, olive oil⚱️, H2O 💦, 🧂salt, palm-stone 🪨 - 👆🏽point-&-push to direct power or use a laser pointer cat toy to improve eye-hand-energy link and aim

. Recycle & repurpose cup, bowl & jars; use paper 💌envelopes for spell packets you can write on & burn outdoors; use kitchen herbs

Re: chalice - a silver chalice is a Moon Goddess symbol. (Silver - Riiiiight :roll: ) Substitute variety-store glass 🍸🥛🫖☕️; it’s a tool to shape fluid energies

Re: athame - a tool for cutting etheric energy only; recommended to be a two sided blade🗡to cut both ways & black handled to absorb your energy but isn’t mandatory; on-line prices vary, sporting goods are resources; letter openers come in a variety of styles

How can I personalize it so it seems like its MINE ... ? - you imprint your energy signature when you consecrate = cleanse, bless, anoint & charge a tool - you 🙌🏽 magnetize them; or put your name-sigil on your tools.

Wand - 🪄 what kind of wood to make it out of? - oak or ash have been used for general conjuring, willow for healing & blackthorn for banishing. Use a fallen branch retrieved after a storm -it's rude to break off a living branch. If it is sawn from a tree it's traditional to do It when sap isn’t running during the "ember days" between Yule & Jan. 5th-Epiphany. Leave offerings. Use woods native to your area.

What's a good size? - The wand traditionally measures from the inside of the Crafter's left elbow (next to their ❤️) to the tip of their longest finger to capture the Crafter's personal energy-signature & should be thick enough to comfortably fit the grip.

Incense 🥢 - do i have to buy it or could i make it myself? - it's the crafter's choice.
If i can make it, how?
. Easy DIY- Ref. Annie’s Mirth & Reverence YouTube. Use cooking herbs & spices of choice. Roll a 3-inch square of typing paper into a tube like a cigarette. Stand it up in a cup of sand or salt. Fill the tube with coarsely powdered herb mixture. Light the top end. Or buy premixed pumpkin spice - cinnamon, ginger, clove & nutmeg - to aid psychism. Combined coffee & cinnamon wards against the evil eye.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”