"Oh! for a muse of fire..."

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
H_Prynne

"Oh! for a muse of fire..."

Post by H_Prynne »

"...that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention."

I typically use wooden matches to light my candles or incense for spellwork. I then softly blow them out and set them on a plate on my altar. After my work is all done it just feels weird to throw the match out, like im tossing away some part of the spell. Because of this I typically leave it on the plate and let a little pile of matches accumulate over the course of many days until it becomes an eyesore and I dump them in the trash.

I know there's probably no hard and fast rule for this but is there a better, (more ceremonial?) way to deal with match disposal? Any ideas from the more experienced witches out there?

I've considered burying them in the earth.

Also...

Is it a faux pas to use a lighter?

And i've read that its better to use a candle snuffer rather than blowing a candle out, because it interrupts the spell magic. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Miss Pixie

Re: "Oh! for a muse of fire..."

Post by Miss Pixie »

I'm a new witch---I began my practice this year---but I have some opinions on the matter:

1) I have difficulty lighting matches and would find it easier to use a lighter. I can't see why that would be a problem.

2) I think that both are fine. Rather than interrupting the spell magic, I would think that blowing a candle out would infuse the area with your essence, further strengthening the spell.

My two cents.

Blessed Be! )0(
H_Prynne

Post by H_Prynne »

Interesting thoughts! Thanks for your opinion!
Miss Pixie

Post by Miss Pixie »

H_Prynne wrote:Interesting thoughts! Thanks for your opinion!
You're very welcome! =D
Elluir

Post by Elluir »

I imagine there are varying opinions on this as a rather good portion of witches light candles. I'd be interested in hearing what everyone thinks...
ladymorgaine82

Post by ladymorgaine82 »

I usually use a lighter and I blow out the candles. I put my face into the smoke (I love that smell:)) and wave the smoke around me. It makes me feel more "Witchy".
Lady Morgaine

Everyone has a Witch within, only those of us who trust in who we are embrace that part of our soul.
Tasariel

Post by Tasariel »

Well, as far as matches vs. lighter, I don't think there's a big difference. They both create fire with different elements and chemicals.
As for blowing vs. snuffing, there will be a large number of witches who tell you that snuffing is best. The reason for that would be that it can be seen as an insult to the element of fire to use the element of air to extinguish it.
I personally don't see this as a huge problem, because I think that all of the elements work together as it is, and it's really not an issue for me. But a lot of witches will tell you that blowing candles out is a nono.

Investing in a snuffer is relatively inexpensive, and pretty helpful, if you want to stay on the safe side. :)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”