I'm Confused! What is a Wight?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Brujita13

I'm Confused! What is a Wight?

Post by Brujita13 »

Hi. These are probably VERY Neophyte questions, but I haven't really gotten any good answers from other sources. What is a Wight? Can a witch communicate with one? Where could I expect to find one? Is it more like an angel, demon, nymph, ghost, elf, faerie, or nature spirit? :?

P.S. I already know that "Wight" means "Living Entity", so perhaps "ghost" was a poor comparison. Thank You!
orestes903

Re: I'm Confused!

Post by orestes903 »

I have always heard wight used to refer to a person, especially an unfortunate one. It can also refer to an undead wraith that sucks the life force from someone (I have personally only seen this in fantasy like lord of the rings or D&D). I hope that helps!

Orestes
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

I have never heard that word before in my life and Ive been around a long time. Make sure you post any information you get in regards to it. I like to learn new things.
Cyphir

Post by Cyphir »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wight

That's the most I can come up with as, my own ideas are largely based on DnD and other fantasy genre games.
Brujita13

Post by Brujita13 »

@ Cyphir
I had already seen the Wikipedia page, which is what I got my info from. On a different post (juniper berry?) a user said they left an offering for a house wight. That's why I was wondering if I could communicate/interact with one. Thanks anyway.
Cyphir

Post by Cyphir »

Then they possibly meant a house sprite/imp/fairy. That would seem the logical explanation, just from what you have said.
Brujita13

Post by Brujita13 »

@ Cyphir: Sorry, I'm new to Wicca (and the forum!). I have never heard of any of the things you have mentioned above. I believe you, though. Could you elaborate?
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

Hes refering to house "faeries" which are spirits of nature that at times take up residence in your house. Many times where are keys go missing from the table even though we KNOW we put them there this is usually due to faeries playing pranks.

From reading the wiki explanation it is apparent to me that its just another word for faeries.
Cyphir

Post by Cyphir »

I'm new myself in many ways. I honestly know little about what I have mentioned. Though an imp is a mischievous being that likes to fool around inside human dwellings. Ever had something lost, when you knew exactly where it was the day before and you know you didn't move it? That could be the work of a playful imp.
Brujita13

Post by Brujita13 »

That answers my question. Thank you! :)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”