Ok, kind of a weird question...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
laruna

Ok, kind of a weird question...

Post by laruna »

When a spell calls for a grain, would a cereal grain be acceptable? Yeah, i know this might be straight from the 'complete imbecile's' line of questioning, but i was reading a spell and it occurred to me that this might work.... but I'm so new i would like to see if I've actually GOT something here, or if I'm just making smoke...
tilarium

Re: Ok, kind of a weird question...

Post by tilarium »

Not a weird question, or one from the complete imbecile's list either. If you don't know, ask, that's the only way you'll learn. To answer the question, I don't know the answer.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Why would it not work. It is a grain. The gods understand that you are not a farmer.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

And that is a good question. I don't think I have ever heard it asked in all my year.
tilarium

Post by tilarium »

I think the reason you thought it was weird was because grain from ceral or other food has been processed and isn't 100% natural. Yes?
witchmoon21

Post by witchmoon21 »

You could use rice or maybe corn (i suppose you find those that are used to make home made pop corn). Keep in mind that some spells are fairly old and they were used when people had much less than we do nowadays thus raisings, nuts and plain flour were very valuable. Also i gotta tell you i am glad there are still people asking good questions. ;)
laruna

Post by laruna »

Exactly Tila. (is it ok if i shorten it to that? cause i wont if you dont want me to) I was worried that since it was processed and 'puffed' as the case may be, that it wouldn't be a good idea.. especially with the sugar all over it, i wasn't sure how or if it would affect something that it shouldn't.

And witchmoon, Honestly, i didn't even think of rice. I mean, for some reason i dont think of it as a grain as much of as a starch.... cause usually im comparing it with mashed potatoes and which would go better with supper that night ^^' and i had already started thinking about the popcorn, but i was worried that all of the 'butter' on it would be much like the sugar and affect the spell in a way that i just don't know about yet. Oh, and thanks for the compliment. lol that made me smile. ^-^
Ula

Post by Ula »

Oats and Buckwheat are grains as well.
FireQueen

Post by FireQueen »

Just my opinion....

The need for a grain in a spell is such that it should in fact be a whole grain, with the hull and husk still intact.

Usually the grain will be to invoke the germination of that which is to grow out of the spell..... a whole grain that has been completely and utterly destroyed through modern food processing techniques has not got a snowflake's chance in hell of ever germinating and therefore a "grain" of breakfast cereal, albeit representative of a whole grain, just would not do :) especially when there are so many whole grains readily available in the supermarket and other outlets..... even a grain from a pack of bird seed would be suitable. :D

Anyway, just my opinion..... :D

Brightest blessings.
No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.
Fen Farm Witch

Post by Fen Farm Witch »

What was the use of the grain in the spell? Was it to nourish, or to germinate, or to represent hard work and toil, etc...? That should tell you what kind of grain you need. If it was to feed the spell then any kind of grain would work, but the more nourishing the stronger the spell. If it was to germinate or start the spell then only a viable, fresh seed would do. If it was represent the toil of the farmer in the field then I would think the more expensive the grain was (the more you toiled to afford it) the more powerful the spell would be. And if there is something out there that has more meaning for you for what the grain represented that should make the spell even stronger. Then you would be putting yourself into the spell.
laruna

Post by laruna »

See, i didn't even THINK of birdseed... i think we even have some of that lying around somewhere... and your opinion is valued, and taken into account firequeen. If i was anythign like 100%...heck, even just 90% sure that my idea was a valid one i would have just ran with it.. but i was worried about the processing and all the rest and like you said, things will never ever grow out of a cereal grain. and i think that that could be important because my goal was a spell to help me find a job.. and the grain was to represent wealth... so that could be more important than i realized. Thanks for your opinions and advice guys!! Valuable it is.
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

though im sure wheat right from the stalk is desirable I think that anything of a grain nature would do. If the spell was specific about the grain then you might want to look into the best way to get closer to that concept but if it just generally says grain than any of the suggestions would be terrific in my opinion. Though I wouldnt use fruity pebbles for the grain but some plain ol corn flakes seems acceptible to me. What about good ol flour?
laruna

Post by laruna »

since it is crushed and powdered, would it really still count as a grain?
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

its still grain isnt it? its just crushed grain
laruna

Post by laruna »

O.O yes, yes it is. THANK YOU SO MUCH

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”