Your Book of Shadows is...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
witchofhowlingcreek

Re: Your Book of Shadows is...

Post by witchofhowlingcreek »

I use a post-bound scrapbook with tea-dyed pages. For me, the spiritual connection to my Book comes from the work and creativity I put into each page.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

My Book of Shadows are spiral note books. I have about 500 of them with spells, traditions, correspondence, accounts of magical/spiritual happenstance, drawings, dream interpretations, readings, and so forth. Those are my "working" books and are a jumbled mess (by my rather high standards). SO if any one wants to come over and sort them out :roll:

I have a "Family Book of Shadows" that I plan on passing down to my daughter. It is a book with stone cover and a fae on it with blank white pages ( My husband gave it to me in 06').

Then I also have a ritual book. It holds what I normally say in ritual and some of my more secret spells. It is a black "leather" covered book with iron work on the front. The inside pages are lined and a light brown.
Fen Farm Witch

Post by Fen Farm Witch »

I use a decorated binder but it's not for ritual or anything like that. I write down recipes, household tips, dangers in interactive herbs, gardening plans, birth and death records, phenology schedules, things like that. Those are where my sacred comes from. Rituals are just confirmations of the sacred that goes on through life for me and so they happen as they happen. Spells are different for everything that I might do (no two situations are the same) for me so writing them down would have no meaning. As a hedge witch though I need to know the birth and death of every animal on the farm, if they get sick, what healing works and what doesn't, how much of each herb to gather in what time of year and the best ways to use them, what crops grew the best and how the weather of the year was. The more of that knowledge I collect, the more I can read the natural world around me. I also am a researcher at heart and love learning new things. LOL So, if you're talking about a sacred living BOS I keep mine in a very well used binder and then transfer the pages when the binder gets full. If you're talking about spells and rituals BOS, I wing it and for me it gets me better results.
Amethyst_Stargazer

Post by Amethyst_Stargazer »

Right now, I just use a pretty journal that I found the other day. BF uses a large 3-ring binder and has a TON of stuff in his. I'm planning on making one in the future... I'm thinking leather-bound with engravings.
laruna

Post by laruna »

I just use a plain white binder, it's not even decorated yet. But my book is still in the very very early stages and only has a few good pages in it, so I'll probably decorate it later. Mostly i chose the binder so that when i find useful or interesting information online, i can put it in a word document. about once a week i organize whatever research i have and use a hole punch so i can put them in the proper places.
love beats all (;

Post by love beats all (; »

Thats it,lol, I had to post the thumbnail because the picture came out huge. Its just a stationary Journal with a magnetic fold-over cover. My friend got it for my birthday =D
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

I've had several, plain leather bound journals, journals covered by fabric, leather bound with metal and gem detailing, a wooden one with little cast iron details.
Right now I'm working from a large journal, it hasn't been decorated much on the outside though so it looks pretty simple, also to protect it from my roommate. :P

Bless
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Pippen

Post by Pippen »

For now, I have it in a spiral. When I get some money though, Ill buy a binder for my spells, because I can type alot faster than I can write, and I can read type alot easier as well. I will likely put spells I made myself in it, along with things Id like to remember. I will likely keep a electronic copy too though, cause I tend to lose important things if I dont have them saved elsewhere. =/
ashuriixinfallible

Post by ashuriixinfallible »

I have a couple spiral notebooks filled with notes, but right now I'm compiling everything I have, typing it out, and putting it in a binder. I'm not the biggest fan of writing things out by hand.
ladymorgaine82

Post by ladymorgaine82 »

I use index cards and a filing box. This way they are filed alphabetically and easier to locate when needed.
Lady Morgaine

Everyone has a Witch within, only those of us who trust in who we are embrace that part of our soul.
ZinniaBanes98

Post by ZinniaBanes98 »

I use a 3-ring binder, and I put my spells in Alphabetical Order. Geez, I'm so neat!!
celestial-wiccan

Post by celestial-wiccan »

my book of shadows is a 5x7 inch black hardback book with a silver pentacle on the front that i purchased at my local Pagan store...i keep it on my altar when i'm not using it.
Twine
Banned Member

Post by Twine »

I actually switched out my book from a small, white binder to a giant red one!
It was getting way too fat! I had to move it up. And I also ordered mine into dark magic, love magic, defensive magic, and then just miscellaneous magics. :) it's going really well so far.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old post

I had started recording stuff in my early kitchen witch days so used 3x5 cards in a recipe file box; this grew as I added backyard gardening to a 3-ring binder so I could store seed catalogs for garden planning. Then as I moved toward more ritualized Wicca I added a large hard cover sketchbook which was great paper quality for color illustration but clumsy to handle on my altar. I copied out themed booklets dedicated to each element to work with when I studied those; then moving into Trad-Craft I began a midsized, 500-pg hard cover book that’s still being added to 30 years later & which I consider my BOS. I don’t know what I’d do without press on correction tape!

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”