why arent you supposed to use spells all the time?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
aphroditemoon

why arent you supposed to use spells all the time?

Post by aphroditemoon »

I know this may seem like a stupid question but I'm just curious why we aren't supposed to use spells all the time. Because if you're working with the gods and goddesses and the elements etc isn't that in a way honoring them? Hopefully that makes sense.
You do not need to use the bible to justify love, however no greater tool has been created to justify hate.
Greek_Male_Witch

Re: why arent you supposed to use spells all the time?

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

I really want to see the answer too, Why a spell should be our last resort?
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Because trying to do spells for everything will end up in results that may be dissappointing. If I did a hundred spells not all of them will work, maybe 75%. If I did 1000 spells that is 250 spells that did not work. Also how would you feel if a person came to you for every little problem that came up? From tie my shoes to I need money, you get to the point where you want to say "try doing this yourself".

The Gods are not your personal "make this happen" beings, they should be asked only if the need is great. THe gods like to see you work for what you have. It shows your growth as a person. But try doing spells for everything and see what results are given. THis is just my opinion and you should find your own.
Ula

Re: why aren't you supposed to use spells all the time?

Post by Ula »

I choose to do spells for certain things for a certain reasons. First a witch's will is important. You have to have confidence in yourself and your work. If you never do things yourself or don't trust yourself, I feel it hurts the magic you do. Second, magic is power. Not great power but power. To use it willy nilly is irresponsible to me. Please understand this is my standard, for myself I don't judge anyone's decisions. Lastly, I have found that building up energy makes for better results. I only shake my money bottle in dire straits. When I do use it I get big results.

I have done spells on the fly but ones I research, put to together, wait for items to come along make my spells work better to me anyway. I don't think there are rules to it, it's just a personal choice.
FireQueen

Post by FireQueen »

A quote that is attributed to the Bible but not actually in the Bible: God helps those who help themselves.

I also believe that the Goddess and the God are best only called upon for aid in times of greatest need.

Brightest blessings.
No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.
Tasariel

Post by Tasariel »

I agree, I believe that a spell should be done when there is a NEED, because the desire and power then put behind the spellwork is going to be strong, no matter what. Simply wanting help with simple tasks that need no divine intervention won't hold the same power, because you don't need it and desire it with the same amount of intensity. So the spells won't be as effective, it seems to me.
Raconteuse

Post by Raconteuse »

I hate to sound like a broken record but as stated before... spells are not a "cure-all". Plus it's just plain bloody selfish of you. Don't you get annoyed after a while when a child comes tugging at you for every bitty thing just because they want it? Same thing, you are tugging at the skirts of the gods like an annoying child trying to get their way. The relationship has to go both directions, a bit of give and a bit of take... mostly give just because it's the ethical and respectful way of it. All just my perspective, mind you.
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

I asked because I was also curious, I didn't say I would use spells every single time, I just wanted to know, the reason, thanks all I now know....
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
aphroditemoon

Post by aphroditemoon »

I figured as much. Keep in mind though I was just asking a question I'm not saying I was doing spells for everything in my life. I feel like I might have upset a few people. Anyways thanks guys! :)
You do not need to use the bible to justify love, however no greater tool has been created to justify hate.
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

you didnt upset me at all it was a valid question
Packie99

Post by Packie99 »

I beg to disagree with the idea that you shouldn't do spells all the time.

First, let me say this: in my opinion you should do spells for whatever you want whenever the urge strikes. That being said, don't DEPEND on them...use them often, but when problem solving, pursue all means of finding a solution.

Second, a major question should be addressed. What is a spell? You must define the topic you are talking about before any further discussion is warranted. Is it just ritual? Does it encompass psychic working? How about the energy paradigm? Is it only for problem solving, or can you have fun with it? Is a simple prayer a spell?

I will give you a general definition : any act of will that manifests change to yourself or your environment.

Now I will list reasons why, under that definition, I don't find it wrong.

1. I don't subscribe to any gods or goddesses...therefore any speculation of their wills or wants is irrelevant to me.

2. There is an overused idiom that can be applied to any undertaking: practice makes perfect. This is simply true. If you want to be better at what you do, do it. If you want to run faster, practice by sprinting. If you want to be better at math, do math. If you want to be a good writer, write.

3. Experience is such a huge benefit, and there are so many bases to cover in this undertaking. How are you going to gain any proficiency if you are reserved in casting spells? There is no way you can gain the experience to understand all the nuances and variables by being coy.

4. I do agree that it could be considered power. That doesn't mean you should not use it, though. In fact, in most instances, using personal power is the only way to expand it. For example, you don't gain physical strength by being reserved. You gain it by lifting weights hard and often. Or you could compare it to sharpening our reflexes or tuning up our memory.

Those are my reasons why you should value EXPLORATION and EXPERIMENTATION. Those combined, to me, create the linchpin in most fields, including spell casting and magic.

Packie
canobiecrazy

Post by canobiecrazy »

In my opinion, Spellls should be used for things that either-

A- You cannot control with "mundane" means.
B- You are trying your best to fix it with "mundane" means, but you still need a "boost"

Just my two cents!
FireQueen

Post by FireQueen »

aphroditemoon wrote:I feel like I might have upset a few people.
Absolutely not upset at all. :)

Brightest blessings.
No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.
Ula

Post by Ula »

aphroditemoon wrote:I figured as much. Keep in mind though I was just asking a question I'm not saying I was doing spells for everything in my life. I feel like I might have upset a few people. Anyways thanks guys! :)
I was not upset and didn't want to hurt anyone's feeling with my answer. I was glad to see someone who went against the majority of responces chime in too.
_Kaimira_

Post by _Kaimira_ »

well in using spells all the time do give you insight but yet it can be brother some. pick your best spells that are important to you.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”