A Question about Death and the Athame...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Question about Death and the Athame...

Post by Firebird »

A great deal of energy passes through ones Athame, and it is an extremely personal tool, when a witch crosses over into the Summerland, what do you think should be done with his/her magical blade??
Do you pass it down in the immediate family ,or within your witch family? Do you throw it in the lake, the ocean? Do you bury it? Burn it then bury it? Bury it with the deceased? Have it re-forged? Is there any other options?
I feel like this is something you should take care of before you "go" so the ones that are left behind don't have to make this decision.
What do YOU think?? Blessings....FirebirdFlys
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
magus

Re: A Question about Death and the Athame...

Post by magus »

I think it should be passed down the ancestral line because that is where the magic will continue.

Just my opinion ^^
You know they're all the same
You know you're doing better on your own so don't buy in
Live right now
Just be yourself
It doesn't matter if that's good enough for someone else
~Jimmy Eat World
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

Firebirdflys I don't mean to pry but you don't think of killing yourself do you? I ask this because your question might implied that, I didn't say it is, but it might, anyway if there is any kind of problem talk to me before you do anything, if there is not a problem and this is just curiocity, then its fine.

To your question now,I agree with Magus, I think all tools are meant to be given to the next witch of the family, who will that be. its your choice.
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

That is a really good question!

Ultimately I think its the deceased choice. They may wish to be buried with them like many of our ancestors were buried with their tools. I also think that passing them down is a great option because it starts a linking chain of your ancestral line. Some tools though are only meant to have one owner though which is why our magickal tools find us as opposed to us finding them.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I think it is a personal choice of the witch. All of which will be correct. I would think that it should be kept within the family in the same way as my book of shadows. Not really used but kept as a link to me.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh goodness noooooooooo, I don't intend to off myself, I personally would like to be buried with it. I don't know that anyone else should ever use it. My bio family may not want it, what would they do, save it in a glass case? Would you want to cleans all the energy from it so your witchmate can have it?
I ask this question so that you all would think on this if the unexpected should happen. Tell someone what you would like to have done with it. We had 2 in our coven pass without instructions, they both had lingering diseases with plenty of time to make arrangements, but we didn't think of that then.
Thanks for taking the time to view this topic...
Blessings of love,.......... FirebirdFlys
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

the first thing I immediately though of was buried with it
when i die i want all my pretty things with me though :D sooo not practical though
but like JBraven said, it's all a matter of choice - your coven might want to start a tradition of keping the athames of those who pass as a sort of commemoration thing
witchmoon21

Post by witchmoon21 »

throwing it in a lake or sea might harm someone if they step on it.
One could leave it for their family if they are of the same religion and they will treat it as it should be treated. I had to think about death at some point (health stuff) and the first thing i thought was "i want my friend (also witch) to have it all, even my book of shadows)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Tossing it in the water was more along the line of an "Excalibur" train of thought. :| Leaving with the coven is a good choice, with directions...( ie. is it to be used? on special occasions? just as a object-o-art...to be viewed only, as a link to the deceased member? )
Just putting this bug in your head so that you will tell someone what you would like to have done with all your tools... not just the Athame, but the blade, in my opinion, is the most powerful and personal tool the witch will own. I also mention this so that you WILL make arrangements. Do you really want your magical items to wind up at some garage sale or thrift store?? Brightest Blessings, FirebirdFlys
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Ula

Post by Ula »

I am being cremated so no bury for me. I don't know I could have it burned with me or not. I would like to think at some point I might have someone to pass it on to but for right now that's not an option. I have just done a ritual to name my athame and my attachment to it is pretty strong. I have been calling it "him" and by name lately. For right now if it could not be cremated with me I guess I would like it buried in its own ceremony.I don't think any family would do it though. I have a friend who would I could put that in the will.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

In G.B.Gardner's High Magics' Aid his witch character had inherited her 2 blades from her mother.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”