A strange thing I came across.

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Artie

Re: A strange thing I came across.

Post by Artie »

I can totally respect that. Thanks for not flaming me, lol. I think that karma is created with the energy that we release when something wrong is done to us, which is why it doesn't go both ways. I suppose that would die in with the idea of karma being psychological, but we can't exactly see that sort of energy to be sure. Either way, it exists. :type:
Here in the forest, dark and deep
I offer you the gift of eternal sleep.
Asch

Post by Asch »

Here's some info on moral relativism
Moral relativism may be any of several descriptive, meta-ethical, or normative positions. Each of them is concerned with the differences in moral judgments across different people and cultures:

* Descriptive relativism describes the way things are, without suggesting a way they ought to be. It seeks only to point out that people frequently disagree over what is the most 'moral' course of action.
* Meta-ethical relativism is the meta-ethical position that the truth or falsity of moral judgments is not objective. Justifications for moral judgments are not universal, but are instead relative to the traditions, convictions, or practices of an individual or a group of people.[1] The meta-ethical relativist might say "It's moral to me, because I believe it is".[2]
* Normative relativism is the prescriptive or normative position that, because there is no universal moral standard by which to judge others, we ought to tolerate the behavior of others - even when it runs counter to our personal or cultural moral standards.[3] Most philosophers find that this position is incoherent, or at least that it is unclear how meta-ethical relativism can lead to 'ought' statements.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism

The reason I consider it to be potentially dangerous is that with the wrong motivations behind it anyone can justify nearly any act from the normative relativism perspective. In other words, by claiming there is no universal right or wrong, I could, in theory murder a person because in my moral view the person deserved it for any number of reasons. Granted this is more the logical extreme of moral relativism but still, it is a philosophy that can be used to justify terrible actions.
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

shadowx wrote: Just as i read juniperberrie's post on her views. I dont believe any of it but i can still learn about it.

Those aren't my views of karma. Just the original beliefs behind them. :)
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

shadowx wrote:Agreed., the three fold law and indeed karma are both lies intended to scare you. Do not believe everything you hear, there are a LOT of crazy people in paganism...
Prove they are lies. This is just your opinion; because you cannot prove nor disprove that Karma exist. Just because you do not understand it does not make it invalid.
presentcharisma

Post by presentcharisma »

asch "The reason I consider it to be potentially dangerous is that with the wrong motivations behind it anyone can justify nearly any act from the normative relativism perspective. In other words, by claiming there is no universal right or wrong, I could, in theory murder a person because in my moral view the person deserved it for any number of reasons. Granted this is more the logical extreme of moral relativism but still, it is a philosophy that can be used to justify terrible actions."

Well, on a personal note, I don't believe that there is no univeral right and wrong. I believe quite differently. I believe that there is a universal right and wrong, but the key word is .... UNiversal. Meaning, no one culture is right. All of them generally want the same things and feel negativity toward the same things. And if I don't understand it, or personally agree with it, it doesn't put it outside of the box i made called "universal right". I feel it is our various ways of living the same "universal desires" is what unites us. And understanding our differences fully .... deeply, helps us to see the similarities and unite.
I AM
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

That absence of evidence against a theory does not suggest evidence FOR that theory. Lack of evidence for a theory however does suggest that theory is invalid.

There is no logic behind karma and it just stinks of psychology dreamt up by people who felt too weak to live in a a world without rules.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I am not saying that Karma does or does not exist, what I am saying is that you have no proof that it does not to thus it could. You may not see the logic behind karma but others may. If karma makes one human being act a little nicer to another; why should you preach its non-existence? Furthermore, if one whole heartedly believes in karma, wpu;dn't it exist on some plane of reality, even if it only does for them. The mind is powerful and, since this is a faith based forum, the argument that there is no karma is a waste. My faith is going to be stronger than your logic any day because logic becomes obsolete when newer information is found. Faith is bound only to what we find true for ourselves. I love that you have a different opinion, but it is just that an opinion.
presentcharisma

Post by presentcharisma »

"The mind is powerful and, since this is a faith based forum, the argument that there is no karma is a waste. My faith is going to be stronger than your logic any day because logic becomes obsolete when newer information is found. Faith is bound only to what we find true for ourselves. I love that you have a different opinion, but it is just that an opinion"

wow, how can you sum up what I have been trying to express in several posts, so easily and beutifully! Thank you :wink:
I AM
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

Though I will say wicca does not have karma. Whatever it has it is not the Buddhism belief of karma. My mother was taught in a temple by monks when she was a child so I would at least like to hope I know the definition of karma. Juniper already said the proper definition though. Yes, its not about 'immediate' things, rather that what you do in one life will effect your next one. You don't need to believe in karma but please people at least when speaking about something use it in the proper context. Be it you do or don't believe in something, refer to it properly.
love beats all (;

Post by love beats all (; »

I Believe in a variant of the law of 3/karma. I see the world as if it's like an ocean of energies; the tide comes in, the tide goes out. Or, a more appropriate analogy may be a drip of water falling into a container or puddle of water. Rings spread from where it fell and when they reach the boundaries of the container they return to the center. I don't see it as an intelligent thing but just kind of a law of nature. Just my 2¢ lol

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”