What is the view of Witchcraft for transgendered people?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Greek_Male_Witch

What is the view of Witchcraft for transgendered people?

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

Hi, my question is double, first I want to ask what is the view of witchcraft for transgendered people, my aunt (well she used to be a man, before I was borned and she changed her gender because she felt as if she was female in a male's body) I never met her as a guy, because when she done that I was newborn, so I actually met her as aunt, and still remains an aunt to me, I cannot tell that she used to be a guy once, and I just erased it from my mind, when my cousin (another aunt's daughter) told me what was the big secret, I was shocked, for one month I actually couldn't think clear, but then I accepted the fact, anyway, what is the view of witchcraft on those people, and plus which card I use on tarots? a male one or a female one? thanks
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
Starwitch Stone

Re: What is the view of Witchcraft for transgendered people?

Post by Starwitch Stone »

The witchcraft community has typically been open to GLBT people (the T is for transgender) so I don't think there's any issue that you need to be concerned with. It's not like the Christian church where someone is going to tell her that she can't join because she's different than other people.

As for the tarot, I'd consider your aunt a female since that's how she identifies herself.
Visit Everything Under the Moon for Love Spells, Money Spells, & Wicca Spells.
Greek_Male_Witch

Hey StarWitch I'm happy to see you here! ok thanks!
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

Historically, transgendered, hermaphoditic, and homosexuals were often found to be spiritual leaders, or spiritually touched.

From Intermediate Types among Primitive Folk
by Edward Carpenter
[1914]
:

Westermarck (vol. i., p. 477) mentions the ancient Scandinavians as regarding passive homosexuals in the light of sorcerers; and refers (p. 484 note) to Thomas Falkner, who, in his Description of Patagonia (1775), p. 117, says that among the Patagonians "the wizards are of both sexes. The male wizards are obliged (as it were) to leave their sex, and to dress themselves in female apparel, and are not permitted to marry, though the female ones or witches may. They are generally chosen for this office when they are children, and a preference is always shown to those who at that early time of life discover an effeminate disposition. They are clothed very early in female attire, and presented with the drum and rattles belonging to the profession they are to follow."

The following is an account given by Dawydow, the Russian traveller, 1 of the quite similar custom prevalent in his time (about 1800) among the Konyagas in the Alaska region:--"There are here (in the island of Kadiak) men with tatooed chins, who work only as women, who always live with the women-kind, and like the latter, have husbands;--not infrequently even two. Such men are called Achnutschik. They are not by any means despised, but, on the contrary, are respected in the settlements, and are for the most part wizards.

In some cases the adoption of the life of priest or sorcerer is accompanied by a change of dress (as we have seen), but this is by no means always so. Speaking of the Pelew Islanders, Dr. Frazer 1 attributes the adoption by the priests of female attire to the fact that "it often happens that a goddess chooses a man, not a woman, for her minister and inspired mouthpiece. When that is so, the favoured man is thenceforth regarded and treated as a woman." And he continues--"This pretended change of sex under the inspiration of a female spirit perhaps explains a custom widely spread among savages, in accordance with which some men dress as women and act as women through life."

And Dr. Karsch, in his Uranismus bei den Natur: völkern, after enumerating the above and many other instances, says that among many or most of these tribes the main object of the cross-dressing seems to be something of a religious or mystical character, since the persons concerned are accounted as beings of a higher order, priests or sorcerers; but that fact does not stand in the way of the homosexual relationship, which certainly prevails in many cases.

Sacred Texts has the full texts, and many more, on this issue. Happy reading. :)
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

I admire people who are smart and brave enough to say, "Hey this is who I am and I refuse to allow a little booboo by nature stop me from living as who I should be." I'm not a big fan of anyone, myself included, making sweeping statements that say something is always or never true, but in general I think most transgendered people are really brave and smart people. It isn't easy to say to a very judgement society that you aren't going to allow them to force you to be someone who you are not. So, the point of all I've said, in relation to your post, is that I think many, if not most, transgendered people would be very accomplished magical people if they chose to follow that path. It does take some guts and strengeth of will you know. :)
Greek_Male_Witch

She is the kindest person on Earth........thats all I want to say about her
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I have no problem with Transgendered, gay, straight, bi, whatever sexual preference one may have. Perhaps she feels as if she is trapped in a man's body, and that often happens when your soul was one gender in a past life, and you are transferred with the opposite gender. She is just willing to go through certain steps to become the woman her soul truly is.

My belief is that the world is dynamically made up of a diverse group of people who have lessons to learn in both the masculine and feminine shell (body) and as we progress our spirits crossover prematurely and still have lessons to learn from it's past incarnation and so, when reborn, it still attempts to act out the lessons from it's most recent life, and although it may have chosen a masculine body for its current life, it may result in a feminine spirit trapped in a masculine body which proceeds to act out the lessons that it should have learned in its previous life, and in its previous body, therefore resulting in gay and transgendered people.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

She is a woman, her soul is a women. She sadly was born with some of the wrong parts, like a mutation. Like some people are born without arms, she was born with a penis but without uterus (and all the other stuff). Do you know how this feels? To have all the wrong parts? To be a woman, but obviously are in some areas physically retarded?

Always think of her as a women, she is one. She had just bad luck ending up with wrong parts, that's all. So for anything where you need to know her gender, she is female. Also going through such a process of self identyfing will make her really selfaware, that's probably the reason, why many people think of transgenerd as spiritual talented. You need really to be brave to admit you've somehow ended up with the wrong body parts, when everything think of you as a male.

I don't know about witchcraft in general. There are path were being transgender are viewed as special talented and there are probably paths, where a transgender would overthrow the beliefsystem of firm dualistic energies (like some covens can't mix with queers). You make your own path, so you chose your views on transgenders on your own.
Greek_Male_Witch

She is very intelligent she used to do divination (she wasn't a witch, just coffe divination and stuff), I'm identify her as a woman, for me she is a woman, I just didn't knew what is Witchcraft view on this....
)O( Krystal Raven )O(

Post by )O( Krystal Raven )O( »

As in most forms of Witchcraft, there is no unanimous view, but actually, most consider her type of existence "accelerated" or "advanced".... she has to deal with many many many issues, challenges, complex concepts and a lot of judgement! My husband is a hermaphrodite, but was forced into being female as a child.... he is very complex, to say the least. He has been practicing Divination and hands on healing since very little. It seems that transgendered people lead mystical lives, whether they intend to or not, so are mostly understanding when they meet someone that identifies with something that makes others uncomfortable!
)O( May the Cosmica known unto us by millions of names bless you with the ecstasy of Her Bliss. Namaste. )O(
_Kaimira_

Post by _Kaimira_ »

hi,

i know many people who mtf ftm that's male to female and female to male which is 1/5 ftm's. I believe this community should open their doors two these people. they are human too. I am bisexual and i teach classes on transgenders from start to finsh, talking about how their memotions are. they became like a big family to me because they accepted me for i am and they listen. being a transgender is very dangerious because not all people are open to the idea. blue_flee
Earth Ritual

Post by Earth Ritual »

I see them as Shapeshifters

Transamerica (http://www.letmewatchthis.com/watch-4312-Transamerica) is a great movie that introduces more understanding on the matter. If you look closely, the film reveals some obvious otherworldly aspects of "those that are male, female, and more things than you could ever imagine." Shapeshifters
You are either for Life or against It. There is no in between.

I used to believe in god above. Now I'm filled with so much love.-Erykah Badu after the invocation of the Goddess

May the love that holds eternity at its fingertips kiss each and everyone one you on the lips. May your words bring worlds that bring hope to a world dying to be reborn.
_Kaimira_

Post by _Kaimira_ »

good answer hheeh.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”