What is witchcraft?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Packie99

What is witchcraft?

Post by Packie99 »

So I've been reading a lot of posts on this board. Let me begin by saying what my definition of witchcraft is. I was under the belief that witchcraft denoted a system of folk magic, which originated in different countries and groups based on their specific superstitions and cultural ways of magic. Examples of this would be hoodoo (Haitian folk magic) or stregheria (Italian folk magic).

I know Wicca is a religion, as is Voodoo (traditional Haitian Voodoo is strictly a religion, but New Orleans Voodoo has taken aspects of hoodoo, Voodoo, and even Roman Catholicism). So I'm not confusing that.

But, I guess I'm confused as to what the word witchcraft means to you. I've worked in my own way involving casting for nearly 5 years, but I do not consider myself a witch. Really, I haven't associated any specific label with what I do, but if I had to, I guess I would say magecraft. Do you think anyone that works in supernatural type magical workings should be considered a witch? Or is it someone that specifically works their spells through an organized system of folk magic?

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Packie
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Re: What is witchcraft?

Post by JuniperBerry »

Hmm. What is witchcraft to me? That's a complicated answer.

When I first meet someone that tells me they're a witch, I have my automatic assumptions. One: that they were inspired by Wicca and/ or the New-Age section of Barnes & Noble and Two: that they are generally self-taught through LLewellyn and the like. To me, that witchcraft implies the circle, candles, the quarters and everything else you read in those books. It usually involves a belief in returning to an "ancient' matrilineal worship, we are all energy, and "hedge" wisdom. They also feel connected to the witch persona of Gothic America and Early Modern England.

If someone tells me that they are BTW, or Alexanderian, or 1734...I understand them to be trained in early, initiary Wicca, which comes with all the trappings of post Cunningham Wicca, but with a deeper undertone and philosophy. It's a little more political, a little more occult, and a lot more insular. To me, that's more early 70's witchcraft rather than modern, mainstream witchcraft. If anyone has a specific, traditional name for their path, I can tend to gather what they're about.

Then there's witchcraft in my tradition which is sort of separate from the modern witchcraft we're talking about here.
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I am a Green Witch. My craft is all about healing and working with the earth, using herbs, communing with nature and nature spirits, and becoming one with the land. I am also Navajo, so I add a little native american to my mix.

But when it comes to witchcraft on the whole, I feel that its about connecting to yourself, not to Gods or Goddesses. Its about gathering the energy within yourself and using this to make some form of change, rather its changing yourself or changing the world around you. Witchcraft can be whatever the user chooses to make it, because a persons Craft varies from person to person. No one person practices the same.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

To me, Witchcraft is about connecting with yourself and the energy around you. I follow the Druid path which concentrates on how the earth and universe are connected at the highest level. The Druids were Bards, Poets, Seers and Teachers. I follow this path because I am a Seer and Teacher. It is the path of the Craft that was my calling. Witchcraft is different for everyone and what it means to people can be very different from one person to another. That is what makes it so wonderful, you can practice the Craft anyway you feel is appropriate for you.
Packie99

Post by Packie99 »

Thank you guys for all your responses. You've helped clear things up and made me think about new ideas.

From my newer understanding, a witch is one who connects with energy and manifests changes, which is really what spells boil down to anyway. It seems to me like an eclectic thing, that is individual to the person. But I think I like that better, since people should find their own way and blaze their own path.

So I have a better understanding of what a witch is, at least in the modern sense. But I have a few more things that, being mostly by my self, I never got around to discussing with others with similar paths. To me, magician is a person who performs magic working or acquires magic through supernatural means. I've also heard of warlocks, but that's a term for a male witch coined by the Christians, which to me means it has no authority. Necromancer, which traditionally is Greek way for divination through dead spirits. And things like wizard and sorcerer. I've heard these terms used by certain modern day practitioners, but very rarely.

My question to you, now, is this: what do you see as the differences between these labels, paths, or titles? Is there a difference?

Packie
Packie99

Post by Packie99 »

Packie99 wrote: To me, magician is a person who performs magic working or acquires magic through supernatural means.
I meant acquires knowledge through supernatural means. Sorry for the typo. Probably not a big deal, but if I see a typo, it drives me crazy until I fix it. It probably shouldn't, but I can't help it, :lol:

Packie
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

To me a sorcerer is someone that uses supernatural energies to perform spells. A wizard is all alternate name for a male witch. And a necromancer is someone, like you said, who communes with the dead and uses their wisdom and sometimes, their power also. This is just my opinion, though.
Packie99

Post by Packie99 »

The word wizard makes me think of the ATHF wwwizard that trapped meatwad, shake, and frylock in their house using the real internet service and all the pop-up adds :lol: .

So the whole point of my questions revolves around myself. When I first started, I heard different labels used in different ways, and I really didn't know what to think of it. Eventually, I decided I didn't care because it was about what I did, not what I call myself. So for the longest time I didn't give it any thought. But then it seems to come back around now, and I would like to maybe call what I do something. I can describe it as exploring the metaphysical and performing things such as spell casting or calling it energy manipulation. But, I guess I am wondering if there is something more concrete I could put it to. Calling it witchcraft was out of the question due to my previous belief witchcraft was different specific systems of folk magic, but you helped to clarify the meaning of a witch in modern terms.

In the end it really doesn't matter. It's more for personal use, or maybe a way to relate it to someone I meet that is learning or exploring a similar path besides describing my practices and system at length. Not that I'm asking you to dub me a witch, magician, or sorcerer. I just wanted some food for thought about what the different things mean to you.

And your answers have all given me things to think about. For that I thank you.

Packie
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

You may be comfortable calling yourself a theosophist.

"Theosophy believes in no miracle, whether divine or devilish; recognizes nothing as supernatural; believes only in facts and Science; studies the laws of Nature, both Occult and patent; and gives attention particularly to the former." - from "Occult Phenomenon", by H. P. Blavatsky, 1880

"Theosophy is not a belief or dogma formulated or invented by man, but is a knowledge of the laws which govern the evolution of the physical, astral, psychical, and intellectual constituents of nature and of man." - from The Ocean of Theosophy, by William Q. Judge, 1893

"Theosophy applies to the self - the thinker - the same laws which are seen everywhere in operation throughout nature... all varieties of the great law that effects follow causes and no effect is without a cause." - from The Ocean of Theosophy, by William Q. Judge, 1893

"Dogma? Faith? These are the right and left pillars of every soul crushing Theology. Theosophists have no dogmas, exact no blind faith. Theosophists are ever ready to abandon every idea that is proved erroneous upon strictly logical deductions. Realizing, as they do, the boundlessness of the absolute truth, Theosophists repudiate all claim to infallibility. The most cherished preconceptions, the most 'pious hope,' the strongest 'master passion,' they sweep aside like dust from their path, when their error is pointed out." - from "A Society Without Dogma", by H. P. Blavatsky, 1877
"Once that a student abandons the old and trodden highway of routine, and enters upon the solitary path of independent thought-Godward-he is a Theosophist; an original thinker, a seeker after the eternal truth with 'an inspiration of his own' to solve the universal problems. With every man that is earnestly searching in his own way after a knowledge of the Divine Principle, of man's relations to it, and nature's manifestations of it, Theosophy is allied." - from "What Are The Theosophists?", by H. P. Blavatsky, 1879
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

First let me define magic. Magic (to me) is reality conforming to my will.

A witch is a being who consciously manipulates the energy to fulfill magic.

Choosing a path, label or title is a human need. All choosing a title, label, or path does is group you with like-minded people so there is a social sub-group that fulfills your needs.

A Wiccan or a Druid or Heathen is a religious sub-group that may or may not consider themselves witches.
Packie99

Post by Packie99 »

JBRaven wrote:A witch is a being who consciously manipulates the energy to fulfill magic.

Choosing a path, label or title is a human need. All choosing a title, label, or path does is group you with like-minded people so there is a social sub-group that fulfills your needs.
I like your definition of a witch. It's so clear and concise. And you're absolutely right--choosing a path or a label doesn't really do anything, and I've lived with that for a long time. There is no reason to accept a label, beyond what you already said about the subgroups. Anyway, I'm not in a rush to do anything. I just wanted all your thoughts on the matter.

Juniperberry--thanks for that information. I've never heard of theosophy before, and it really is intriguing. I think that I would, at least partially, fit the descriptions. I do approach things in an analytical matter in an attempt to find truths. I don't inherently believe anything, and to be honest, before I started seeing observable effects from my spell casting, I couldn't squash my skepticism. And I do not subscribe to the idea that something exists unless I experience and analyze it first hand.

I'm thankful to hear all your perspectives on this. It's already helped sort things out a lot.

Packie
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

JBRaven wrote:First let me define magic. Magic (to me) is reality conforming to my will.

A witch is a being who consciously manipulates the energy to fulfill magic.

A Wiccan or a Druid or Heathen is a religious sub-group that may or may not consider themselves witches.
I agree with most of this, except I think there's more to labels than being grouped with like-minded people. Obviously all of us here fall under some sort of generic label of either witch, pagan, wiccan etc. But we better define ourselves and identify our positions by having a more concrete and outlined perspective of things. I'm a Heathen, Serendipty is a secular witch, Krystal Raven is an eclectic Egyptologist. At some point, we all need to better clarify our positions and the foundations for our worldview.

While it is true that labels aren't mandatory, and that one shouldn't rush into finding one and applying it for the sake of it, a person will inevitably associate with a more defined label. It makes for easier communication and understanding. Imagine going to a football game, and not wearing a jersey. Someone will invarably ask you who you are rooting for. You can't say, "I'm a fan." (Similar to saying "I'm a pagan.") They're going to want more clarity. If you don't know the team's name that you root for, the only way to describe yourself is in obtuse statements. "I like the team that has a good defensive back. I also appreciate the quaterback that has a good touch pass." Still unclear. But if you know the name, you can say "I'm a Cardinals fan." and everyone knows exactly what you mean, while understanding that there's a chance you may not like a coach, or that you have a differing view on the last play called- basically, that you have your individual perspective of that team/path. When I tell people I'm Heathen, rather than pagan, they get a much better sense of where I'm coming from.

That being said. Packie, please don't waste time trying to decipher the labels of sorceror, wizard, or warlock. I know you haven't had alot of exposure to the pagan community but the people you'll want to take you seriously, won't. If you use those terms you'll be met with ridicule in the down-to-earth and intellectual community because they're used by attention-seeking douchebags who want to be 'special'.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Our Troth
)O( Krystal Raven )O(

Post by )O( Krystal Raven )O( »

Eclectic Egyptologists are Scientists who study many aspects of Egyptian culture. I am a Kemetic Priestess, with a specialized focus in pre-historical Goddess worship, modern Demonology, and Necromancy. However, you can just call me the "Isis Witch" and I'm cool with that. Point is, I see the word "Witch" as a modern compromise between all who view/use/manipulate majik and energy. We may agree to use it because we find humor in it or because we genuinely relate to the original use of the word.... but in the end, I'd much rather be mistaken for a Witch than a Scientist. LOL.
)O( May the Cosmica known unto us by millions of names bless you with the ecstasy of Her Bliss. Namaste. )O(
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

)O( Krystal Raven )O( wrote:Eclectic Egyptologists are Scientists who study many aspects of Egyptian culture. I am a Kemetic Priestess, with a specialized focus in pre-historical Goddess worship, modern Demonology, and Necromancy. However, you can just call me the "Isis Witch" and I'm cool with that. Point is, I see the word "Witch" as a modern compromise between all who view/use/manipulate majik and energy. We may agree to use it because we find humor in it or because we genuinely relate to the original use of the word.... but in the end, I'd much rather be mistaken for a Witch than a Scientist. LOL.
Heh. Sorry. I'm not familar with the terminology of the Egyptian paths, and I tried throwing eclectic in there to show the spiritual/religious aspect of your study/interest of egyptian culture. But Kemetic Priestess is a label I can search and thus get a better idea of where you're coming from.
We may agree to use it because we find humor in it
I always like to imagine that Starhawk et al adopted the word 'witch' to be ironic. :)

Does this mean you're talking to me again, or did you have to compromise to clear that up? ;)

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Our Troth
Packie99

Post by Packie99 »

JuniperBerry wrote:
That being said. Packie, please don't waste time trying to decipher the labels of sorceror, wizard, or warlock. I know you haven't had alot of exposure to the pagan community but the people you'll want to take you seriously, won't. If you use those terms you'll be met with ridicule in the down-to-earth and intellectual community because they're used by attention-seeking douchebags who want to be 'special'.

This kind of made me laugh. I can see how silly that would be to take one of those names. But don't worry, I wasn't going to call myself a "sorcerer" or "wizard", I was more just curious about how different terms were being used in the modern pagan community. But thanks for the warning, I doubt it would easy to take someone serious that you see as pretending to be Gandalf or Constantine.

Nope, haven't had a lot of exposure to pagan communities. For the longest time, I've been utterly by myself in my practices. And you make some good points about the importance of a label, but I'm still in no rush to call myself anything.

Though I can't help but like theosophy :)

Even more thanks for your continued thoughts.

Packie

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”