Ritual Animal Sacrifice

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
WhiteOne

Ritual Animal Sacrifice

Post by WhiteOne »

Does anyone perform animal sacrifice any more? Do you know of actual witches doing it?
People in America keep their black cats in around Halloween because they think that Dark Witches or Satanists will torture them.
However, I tend to think most animal abuses are not by witches. Black animals were associated with witch craft in the earlier centuries--as familiars, but for some reason people now associate them with ritual torture. This is odd because people used to kill cats because they thought they were associates of witches, now people think that witches kill cats.
I have two black cats (I only adopt black cats from the animal shelter because they have a harder time finding homes for black animals) and I would never harm them. What are your thoughts on this association between witch craft and animal torture?
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Santeria practices ritual animal sacrifice but I believe it is usually chickens and the occasional goat.

Muslims practice ritual animal sacrifice as part of Ramadan if my information is correct. An individual may give a goat and a small group can all chip in for a camel. The animals are slaughtered by having their throats cut and then the meat is given to the needy. This is done at the end of the Ramadan service, again assuming my information to be correct.

Before someone has a cow about the Ramadan sacrifices they should make sure that they aren’t being a bit hypocritical, by which I mean are they vegans? The animals that are killed as part of the Ramadan Ritual aren’t treated as badly as your average steer in a beef processing plant.

There are lots of different kinds of Satanists. Some are frankly just pretenders who are looking for an excuse for some childish debotchery, others are serious practitioners who deserve our respect; I know because I’ve met a few of them. These serious individuals do not, to the best of my knowledge, practice the sacrifice of any living being.

I don't know of ANY group that condones torture of any kind at any time.
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

Actually they don't think witches do it but rather other people. Even if you think it's unlikely people do do things like kill black cats. My mother told me long ago that one time when she was a child she knew one woman that ate her own baby. Also, they stopped rice at weddings because pigeons would eat the dry rice, it would expand in their bodies and they would explode. My father who lives in san fransisco said those that kill black cats eat them, and kill them by feeding them dry rice. BUT neither parent ever said those people where even vaguely connected to witches in any way. Then again in California we have all kinds of people.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

When I haad my three black cats, I would make sure they were inside on halloween because of fear of murder. Not from witches (Though there is a very large Santaria following here at the border) but from stupid people who hold that black cats are evil, and since there are more people out on halloween in the community the better chance they will be killed. Also there are teens who would do it just to case chaos.

I should have been more worried about people around Christmas. I found all three of my cats in a field with tire tracks making circles to chase them. Sickos.

Society says witches because it is easier to blame "evil" people than the drunk teens in daddy's truck. No matter what people say about being open minded, when people hear the word witch they think evil.
Kaimira

Post by Kaimira »

ok i am keeping my kittens inside! i have two kittens one is black and the other is white. i found the white kitten paws and mouth was bound with duct tape, i bearly heard the kitten when i came home from the store, i open up the bin and i went dumpster diving i found the kitten in a trash bag i took off the duct tape and i put her in my jacket for warmth. I fed her gave her a bath bundle her in a blanket on couch. it wasn't tight but she didn't move she slept a good six hours. bast my black cat just wants to play and she was pretty excite that she had a play mate.

but the SPCA came to my place yesterday and checked in on the kitten, they wanted to take the kitten away and i said no. i told them that she's my little girl now. bast came out and she meowed i put angel down and both of them started to play. they finely say ok after i told them i would fatten her up and give her lots of love.
The shinning light is the way to path of creation
Wiccan Z

Post by Wiccan Z »

I would never, the closes thing is if an animal of mine dies or if i find a dead animal ill pray for it and maybe light a candle for it.
Tyvnn Shroud

Post by Tyvnn Shroud »

I won't even harm a moth or butterfly, all living things are sacred to me.
Kaimira, you made me smile tonight =D
I used to have a kitten I rescued from a lake that had been thrown into it. But he didn't live past three weeks due to the lung injuries it recieved from the incident. I plan on getting some when I finally move out on my own.
Kaimira

Post by Kaimira »

hi,

actually i just moved on my own. I love animals big and small, even bee's, i am scared to death of them. but i am getting braver now watching the bee go to flower to flower, they have such big butts. I think i did the right think taking angel in to my home after what happened to her. I'd kill the guy who ever did this. so this little kitten is mine now and she is a smart kitten very brite and cheerful.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Even though I practice haruspicy and teach it to my daughter, we still do not kill animals. I was always taught that if i needed to know something, the earth would give me an animal to read.

So I really do not understand why black cats would be used for scarifice. I do not know any deities who where thought to demand black cats as tokens.

Sadly, Halloween has become a time for people to accuire black cats as living decor, (similar to chicks and bunnies on Easter) and that is one reason why animal shelters defer adoptions until after the holiday.
Earth Ritual

Post by Earth Ritual »

Black cats are not traditional offerings but do hold magical energy that can be harnessed for certain purposes. I figure if you eat meat then killing the animal yourself and reading its innards is a matter of integrity. Its what all people used to do before the big fancy freezer casket known as a grocery store. Well, probably not the readings, but definitely raising and preparing their own food. lol
You are either for Life or against It. There is no in between.

I used to believe in god above. Now I'm filled with so much love.-Erykah Badu after the invocation of the Goddess

May the love that holds eternity at its fingertips kiss each and everyone one you on the lips. May your words bring worlds that bring hope to a world dying to be reborn.
Kaimira

Post by Kaimira »

JBRaven wrote:Even though I practice haruspicy and teach it to my daughter, we still do not kill animals. I was always taught that if i needed to know something, the earth would give me an animal to read.

So I really do not understand why black cats would be used for scarifice. I do not know any deities who where thought to demand black cats as tokens.

Sadly, Halloween has become a time for people to accuire black cats as living decor, (similar to chicks and bunnies on Easter) and that is one reason why animal shelters defer adoptions until after the holiday.
two words, my kitties! bast who is a black cat, i couldn't harm her. it's cute when they pounce. :D i am a big cat lover. i love dogs too.
Wiccan Z

Post by Wiccan Z »

Kaimira wrote:
JBRaven wrote:Even though I practice haruspicy and teach it to my daughter, we still do not kill animals. I was always taught that if i needed to know something, the earth would give me an animal to read.

two words, my kitties! bast who is a black cat, i couldn't harm her. it's cute when they pounce. :D i am a big cat lover. i love dogs too.
i just LOVE animals, why ever harm them? like ugh? :( then again i do eat meat, but i always pray before and thank the god and goddess for the food, same with plants to, i feel bad:( i hate to walk on grass! :/
Earth Ritual

Post by Earth Ritual »

there is an old story about a tribe in the far north. one day a young boy asked his grandfather why his people called themselves the Deer People. The grandfather said, "Do you see the deer over there eating the grass? The deer offers its life so that we may live through its meat and the tools we make from its body. When we die, we are buried in the earth and slowly we become the grass. You see, we are not people, we are deer people that walk in human bodies."

As we take from the earth, so shall we give. This is the Way.
You are either for Life or against It. There is no in between.

I used to believe in god above. Now I'm filled with so much love.-Erykah Badu after the invocation of the Goddess

May the love that holds eternity at its fingertips kiss each and everyone one you on the lips. May your words bring worlds that bring hope to a world dying to be reborn.
MoonbeamDancer

Post by MoonbeamDancer »

To think of cats harmed is awful.

On the other hand, it is sooo good to hear of such a large number of people who are respectful to animals, even though they eat meat.

We are not vegan, we farm. If an animal is to be killed for food as much of the animal is used as possible, it is disrespectful not to do so.

My 12 year old grandson went deer hunting for the first time a few weeks ago. He got a doe, 1 shot kill. He petted her and thanked her for letting him have her, how beautiful.

She was processed and the meat being enjoyed. A second season is coming up soon, the grandson's have decided if they should be given a deer during that season it will be donated to the food pantry.

I am very proud of them. Unlike a "friend" who is freaking out that they took the life of an animal, without considering the circumstances. Ugh.

Thank you all for your ideas, keep your furry friends safe.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I was a vegan for a long time. About 10 years, I refused to eat animals because I thought it went against being a part of a nature based religion. Well I got pregnat and I am naturally a severe anemic to begin with, not wanting to harm the unborn child within me and not wanting to pressure my beliefs onto her, I ate meat. While I will say, I never felt more healtheir than when I was a vegan, I then researched the pagan religion and found nothing to support a constant vegan lifestyle. Some practices do call for fasting but overall nothing anywhere says we should not eat animals. There are gods and goddesses of the hunt, all of our religions are based arounf harvests of grains and flesh. Artemis, Mixcoatl, Nodens. Neith, Banka-Mundi, Daina, just to name a few, are all huntind related deities.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”