who's going trick or treating?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I wikipedia'ed how trick or treating began. This is what I got:

The tradition of going from door to door receiving food already existed in Britain and Ireland, in the form of souling, where children and poor people would sing and say prayers for the dead in return for cakes.[1] Guising — children disguised in costumes going from door to door for food and coins — also predates trick or treat, and was traditional at Halloween in late 19th century Scotland and Ireland.[2] While going from door to door has remained popular among Scots and Irish, the North American custom of saying "trick or treat" has recently become common. The activity is prevalent in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland, Puerto Rico, and northwestern and central Mexico (where it is called calaverita, Spanish for "little skull"; instead of "trick or treat", children ask ¿me da mi calaverita?, "can you give me my little skull?"). In the last twenty years, amid controversy, the custom has spread to other countries, such as Italy, Australia and New Zealand, possibly due to the ubiquity of American TV shows and movies in those countries.
American historian and author Ruth Edna Kelley of Massachusetts wrote the first book length history of the holiday in the US; The Book of Hallowe'en (1919), and references souling in the chapter "Hallowe'en in America";

The taste in Hallowe'en festivities now is to study old traditions, and hold a Scotch party, using Burn's poem Hallowe'en as a guide; or to go a-souling as the English used. In short, no custom that was once honored at Hallowe'en is out of fashion now.[3]

Kelley lived in Lynn, Massachusetts, a town with 4,500 Irish immigrants, 1,900 English immigrants, and 700 Scottish immigrants in 1920.[4] In her book, Kelley touches on customs that arrived from across the Atlantic; "Americans have fostered them, and are making this an occasion something like what it must have been in its best days overseas. All Hallowe'en customs in the United States are borrowed directly or adapted from those of other countries".[5]

At the time of substantial transatlantic Scottish and Irish immigration that brought the holiday to North America in the 19th century, Halloween in Scotland and Ireland had a strong tradition of "guising" — Scottish and Irish children disguised in costumes going from door to door requesting food or coins.[2]

The earliest known reference to ritual begging on Halloween in English speaking North America occurs in 1911, when a newspaper in Kingston, Ontario reported that it was normal for the smaller children to go street "guising" (see below) on Halloween between 6 and 7 p.m., visiting shops and neighbors to be rewarded with nuts and candies for their rhymes and songs.[6] Another isolated reference to ritual begging on Halloween appears, place unknown, in 1915, with a third reference in Chicago in 1920.[7]

The earliest known use in print of the term "trick or treat" appears in 1927, from Blackie, Alberta, Canada:

Hallowe’en provided an opportunity for real strenuous fun. No real damage was done except to the temper of some who had to hunt for wagon wheels, gates, wagons, barrels, etc., much of which decorated the front street. The youthful tormentors were at back door and front demanding edible plunder by the word “trick or treat” to which the inmates gladly responded and sent the robbers away rejoicing.[8]

The thousands of Halloween postcards produced between the turn of the 20th century and the 1920s commonly show children but do not depict trick-or-treating.[9] The editor of a collection of over 3,000 vintage Halloween postcards writes, "There are cards which mention the custom [of trick-or-treating] or show children in costumes at the doors, but as far as we can tell they were printed later than the 1920s and more than likely even the 1930s. Tricksters of various sorts are shown on the early postcards, but not the means of appeasing them".[10] Trick-or-treating does not seem to have become a widespread practice until the 1930s, with the first U.S. appearances of the term in 1934,[11] and the first use in a national publication occurring in 1939.[12]
Kaimira

Post by Kaimira »

wow. someone told me that halloween is like new years for the witches. i can't wait for halloween!!

I know this woman she is super nice and she told me she went trick or treating until she was 26, she got away with it because she so small. she's 5 feet tall. usually she goes as a ninja. hehhe with the real sword and i seen her sword gallery it's pretty awesome. I asked her if she's going trick or treating with me, she caved in now she's comming with me. heheh :lol: whoooot :D
The shinning light is the way to path of creation
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

Kaimira wrote:wow. someone told me that halloween is like new years for the witches. i can't wait for halloween!!

I know this woman she is super nice and she told me she went trick or treating until she was 26, she got away with it because she so small. she's 5 feet tall. usually she goes as a ninja. hehhe with the real sword and i seen her sword gallery it's pretty awesome. I asked her if she's going trick or treating with me, she caved in now she's comming with me. heheh :lol: whoooot :D
Woaah! Haha, i am already too tall to get away with it like her.
Anyway, i was thinking about going as an Eskimo.! Haha! But i like the Witch idea. Hmm, i wonder why (:
ScarlettRose

Post by ScarlettRose »

Ginger Faith! wrote: Anyway, i was thinking about going as an Eskimo.! Haha! But i like the Witch idea. Hmm, i wonder why (:
hehe that's cute! (:
Breathing in I feel gratitude; Breathing out I give thanks.
Breathing in I feel joyful; Breathing out I celebrate.
Breathing in I know compassion; Breathing I am compassion.
Breathing in I feel loved; Breathing out I offer love.
Breathing in I am still; Breathing out I am at peace.
Om.
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

ScarlettRose wrote:
Ginger Faith! wrote: Anyway, i was thinking about going as an Eskimo.! Haha! But i like the Witch idea. Hmm, i wonder why (:
hehe that's cute! (:
Yea! And i won't get cold either, so thumbs up!
ScarlettRose

Post by ScarlettRose »

Haha for sure! That's a plus! (:
I think me as Tinker Bell.. I'm gonna get a little chilly! hahaha
Om.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I'm going to be myself. I think thats creepy enough :D

No I'm joking. I finally found out what I am going to be on Halloween. I am going to be the Green Woman :D I'm working on the mask. Its going to be awesome :D

Tinkerbelle sounds fun, but cold :)
.xAlyssa.

Post by .xAlyssa. »

I am!:] Its going to be great this year... Im either going to be a doll or Im going to wear plenty of colourful mismatched clothes.
-Alyssa.
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

I skip the middle man and just go and buy candy hehehe.
Kaimira

Post by Kaimira »

no way! :shock: trick or treating is exciting you get to peak in to peoples houses heheh. :lol: no seriously it's running to door to door expectation what you might get. use a pillow case, last year i had half a pillowcase of candy.
Kaimira

Post by Kaimira »

my place is not to bad actually most of it well all of it is from Ikea. very modern.
Teaca

Post by Teaca »

I'm going to a party not really going treat or treating but i might hand out candy for a while. I'm going as Esmeralda.
merry meet, merry part, until we meet again blessed be
Kaimira

Post by Kaimira »

hi,

i am going trick or treating for a while then come home hand out candy.
ScarlettRose

Post by ScarlettRose »

Ravencry wrote:I'm going to be myself. I think thats creepy enough :D

No I'm joking. I finally found out what I am going to be on Halloween. I am going to be the Green Woman :D I'm working on the mask. Its going to be awesome :D

Tinkerbelle sounds fun, but cold :)
That's super cute idea!(: Love it! I'm so excited for the 31st :D But, at the same time kinda bummed because it will be over haha I'm a dork, I wish Halloween was all year round! I love this time of year.
my mom was going to make my Tinker Bell costume, but then it was last minute so my Aunt took me shopping today and found an adorable costume! But, oh my gosh it's gonna be chilly! heheheh If you want to you, send me a pic of your costume! I'd love to see it. ((:
Om.
Black_Cat

Post by Black_Cat »

Im going to go trick or treating and preform a few rituals. I goto go trick or treating, I love candy, and I havnt had some in a while. Im going to be a Goth BlackCat. I made my costume by myself.
When the shadows come...
when the moon is full....
the black cat is here....

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”