Witchcraft...to spell or not to spell

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
bluemoon

Witchcraft...to spell or not to spell

Post by bluemoon »

When I was first introduced to Wicca many many moons ago, the one thing I just couldn't get a handle of...was spellcraft. What is it, how is it done? After wandering my path for years, I finally realised that for me spellcraft is what I make it.
What I mean is that it doesn't have to be a big production. You don't need a real cauldron or a magic wand. What you do need is "intent" and imagination. I have worked spells while doing my needlework. I have worked spells while driving my car.
For me doing the majority of my spellwork in my mind with my imagination free to do what I need it to do, works.
For others the physical act is more powerful, because they are living the moment.
So as you travel along your path and incoorporate magic into your life, realise that simple can work magic (pun intented).
Find out what works for you and your family, what makes you comfortable.
You're the only one who can decide what is right for you, and not every issue needs to be resolved with spellwork.
Serendipity

So true

Post by Serendipity »

So much truth in that bluemoon.

I was one of those people who used to put a lot of work into spell casting. It always had to be a big deal. But, as time passed I too came to embrace what I now call “everyday magic.”

When I make sun tea I often make it with intent or one sort or another. When I simply clean house part of the chore will be done with intent that goes beyond simple physical cleaning.

Thanks for reminding us how vital and powerful simply living magically without a lot of fal-de-ral.
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

example of what I mean...when making a meal for family/friends, think about what you would want/need for them and as you dice and slice, blend and stir and cook you meal, put your "intent" into it. when they consume the meal that intent is released
Seaspirit

Post by Seaspirit »

I like your method blue moon....I should actually try what you described with your directing intent like into the cooking, or Serendipity's house cleaning. I never really considered this!! :P

And I could not agree more with the rest of what you say...

I don't have time being single with a daughter, and school and house, to run around collecting things like herbs, tools and such, so I don't use any.

The only thing that I have found, is that I need to be relaxed and in a quite place. I tend to be hyper focused, so I need a time, when I am doing nothing but that spell.
I do 'a lot' of meditation at bed time. Usually at bed time, I'm either lucid dreaming, casting a spell, or plain meditation.

But, I think I'll try some of the methods of directing that you have bought up.
In Light is birthed discovery.....in discovery is birthed the journey of power.
Emmialle

Post by Emmialle »

Bluemoon, I totally agree with you. I took the line from the Charge of the Goddess that says:

If that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee,
thou wilt never find it without.

I have learned that we have all we need inside us. The tools are nice, they can help focus, they do pick up and store our energy as we use them over and over, but you don't have to have them, I've found.

The energy we need surrounds us, and I frequently tap into it, focus it with intention, and send it out to help.

When I'm cooking, I think of love, health, harmony and whatever else my family may need. When I'm driving, I picture my car surrounded by a bubble of energy keeping anything that might cause harm away, when one of my grandkids gets hurt, I picture healing energy coming through me and surrounding my grandchild.

It's so helpful to keep focused on everything working towards to the good of all. It keeps me in a positive mood.

Thanks for this post, Bluemoon!!
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Seaspirit wrote:The only thing that I have found, is that I need to be relaxed and in a quite place. I tend to be hyper focused, so I need a time, when I am doing nothing but that spell.
I do 'a lot' of meditation at bed time. Usually at bed time, I'm either lucid dreaming, casting a spell, or plain meditation.
this is why I do a lot of my magic so to speak when I am working at my cross-stitch...the repetition of pulling the needle thru the clothe, watching the pattern immerge, brings a calm to me and I can focus on other things in my mind while my hands are busy
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Emmialle wrote:
The energy we need surrounds us, and I frequently tap into it, focus it with intention, and send it out to help.

When I'm cooking, I think of love, health, harmony and whatever else my family may need. When I'm driving, I picture my car surrounded by a bubble of energy keeping anything that might cause harm away, when one of my grandkids gets hurt, I picture healing energy coming through me and surrounding my grandchild.

It's so helpful to keep focused on everything working towards to the good of all. It keeps me in a positive mood.
I really think this is something we learn the longer we are on our paths

who knew...KISS would be so right
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

K....keep
I...it
S...simple
S...sweety

actually the second S means something else but this sounds nicer

(meant as humor)
flowersofthelady

Post by flowersofthelady »

I am so touched by the idea of this every day magic that i could almost cry with relief!
I have been worrying about how on earth im going to find time to spellcast or perform ritual. Im having terrible trouble just finding time to meditate and practice visualising energy and being receptive to the god and goddess. i have 2 small kids and a 3 month old so im constantly on the go with family life.

im going to do this starting immedietly! i am so happy! there is hope! thank you!!
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

flowersofthelady, I started my journey with a friend, a Wiccan who really likes ritual, but honestly it made me feel silly. I have always thought/felt that the individual should do what is correct for themself.
Tools can help us focus until we learn that it is ourself that creates the focus.
Life can/is our ritual.....bathing your children is a ritual, infuse it with magical intent, tucking them into bed, saying a prayer (if that is what you do).
Take any part of your daily life and realize it is part of your life ritual and infuse it with you magic.
Enjoy your journey, take a few detours along the way, explore, grow and have fun...remember always...it's your journey, so make it your life and have fun along the way.
blackbird

Post by blackbird »

Bluemoon you put it very beautifully. Life is ritual in so many ways. I am a devoted 'Kitchen Witch' this does not mean at all that there has never been organised ritual in my life, there has been in the past, but i am a believer nowadays in the feling being the guide so to speak..the action can be very simple but still profound. :)
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

thank you and so did you
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

I agree. The best magick I ever did was when I was a child and then later as a young adult. I never even knew I was doing magik. I just visualized and daydreamed and poof! What I needed would appear. Sometimes it took awhile, but it always worked.
Emmialle

Post by Emmialle »

There is a book some of you may be interested in. It's called "Instant Magick" by Christopher Penczak. It's all about techniques to practice magic anytime, anywhere, without tools or rituals.

Christopher was the guest speaker 2 years ago at a 4 day retreat my Tradition has every year. He's really an amazing guy, and I learned a lot from him.
One Walker

Re: Witchcraft...to spell or not to spell

Post by One Walker »

Great posts! Very well put everyone! I'm not a spell-caster myself (I follow a more shamanistic path) but my methods are much the same. That is to say, lending Intent to your thoughts and actions really seems to be the true energizer. I carry a small, shoe-shaped stone with me every day in my back pocket. Every morning I say a prayer to The Maker that I may follow the path or in the footsteps of the Creative Forces instead of wandering off on a materialistic, worldly agenda. It works incredibly well!

One Walker. :mrgreen:
We have seen what Power does.
We have seen what Power costs.

One is never equal to the other.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”