Do I need an altar?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Monica99

Do I need an altar?

Post by Monica99 »

Does one need an altar to do magic? I want to be able to do some spells before I invest money into it and find out its not for me?
Kaimira

Post by Kaimira »

no you don't need an alter, but its best to have one. but go with your heart and how you feel. not everything is required to cast magic.
The shinning light is the way to path of creation
Seigna

Post by Seigna »

I'd say it depends on what kind of magic you practice. An altar is in no way needed in my practice, but for different paths and practices it might be essential.

But if you don't follow an already established tradition with specific rules, I guess you'd better just try. See how things work without it, and if you feel like you need an altar, then get one.

Though keep in mind that you don't necessarily need to invest money for getting an altar. You might be able to make it yourself from scratch. It doesn't always need to be some expensive table filled with expensive items - see what you can make yourself, and use what you already have. An altar you made and prepared yourself using your own skills might even feel a lot better to you than something you bought.
Kaimira

Post by Kaimira »

if you do get an alter, it's very easy a small wooden table with a table cloth, some sage leaves for burning, insense, most of this stuff you can find and cheap stores. when i baught my alter i didn't know about pricing so it cost 140 for everything i would say. but now i am bit wiser now where to shop.
The shinning light is the way to path of creation
Fernview

Post by Fernview »

I agree with the others that you don't need an expensive table made out of rare wood to have an altar. My first altar was a textbook that I put a piece of cloth over it. You can also use the top of your dresser or vanity.

My current altar is a small end table I bought from the second hand store for 5 bucks.
ScarlettRose

Post by ScarlettRose »

I agree with everyone. I just use my dresser. &It works wonderfully!
Or sometimes when I'm casting my spell I don't use my alter at all, I sit on the floor, cast my circle and do my thing. (:
Breathing in I feel gratitude; Breathing out I give thanks.
Breathing in I feel joyful; Breathing out I celebrate.
Breathing in I know compassion; Breathing I am compassion.
Breathing in I feel loved; Breathing out I offer love.
Breathing in I am still; Breathing out I am at peace.
Om.
)O( Krystal Raven )O(

Post by )O( Krystal Raven )O( »

Hey.... an altar is important to draw power toward oneself, and to help focus... in spells and in life in general.... an altar doesn't need to be expensive or a certain way..... you can create an altar on any surface from a feather, a candle, a seashell, an apple, and an empty glass.
Candle-fire, place in south corner
seashell-water, place in west corner
apple-earth, place in east corner
feather-air, place in north corner
empty glass-spirit place in center

Voila! Doesn't even look like obvious witchcraft!
)O( May the Cosmica known unto us by millions of names bless you with the ecstasy of Her Bliss. Namaste. )O(
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I believe that an altar helps make your practice more personal, connecting you further to the divine. It is true that you don't need one, but a simple one can make spells and rituals that much more powerful. Krystal Raven's budget altar is a great way to go, especially is your trying to hide your practice from prying eyes. Also, you can create yourself a portable altar, which is water, a crystal or pebble, a candle and a feather. If you have a pentacle necklace, you can use that as the altar pentacle. Even a piece of paper with a pentacle drawing can work! If you desire an altar, you don't have to use a special table. You can just use your dresser top, thats what I did for a while, and for the Goddess image I used Cerridwen from The Goddess Tarot. There are many ways to make a secret altar, the only thing that limits you is your imagination.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: altars

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old topic

Do you need an altar to do secular magic? No.
You need someplace to safely set your supplies with some room to work. There’s no rule that we have to copy a high magic style or use ritual regalia from witchy shops. Repurposing household items is earth friendly.

Simple Workspace -
. Use any flat space away from curtains with some room to work
. Use your hands to direct power 🙌🏽 👏🏽, or substitute a pointer of your choice to make a mind-energy-hand connection
. Supplies - 🕯candles & holders, aerosol or incense💨 & burning bowl, olive oil⚱️, H2O 💦, salt🧂
. Reminders of elemental energies (Earth, water, air, fire) are customary & the working supplies meet the criteria
. Offerings 🧁🍒🌸💦🍷 are made as thanks if you work with a deity or spirit

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”