Justice or Revenge?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
PurpleMoon

Justice or Revenge?

Post by PurpleMoon »

Hey, I have a question I would appreciate any input on.

I am very big on not doing vengeance spells and such. I always try to focus on the positive in everything however something is trying me here and I'm wondering if maybe there is a difference between justice and vengeance.

Someone very close to me was raped. He is afraid to go to the cops because he is a man and is afraid they will not take him seriously because he's gay and I can't stand the idea of this guy getting away with this.

While I don't believe in vengeance I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to do a spell to ask the universe to intercede and dish out whatever justice it sees fit. I kinda believe this usually happens anyway but figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a push or something.

Is this something that is typically done? Does anyone know what sort of spell I should do, or is it a bad idea? Are there consequences I need to consider? I would never do any direct harm to anyone, I just want to ask that whatever he deserves he gets if the universe sees fit to do so.

I will, of course, focus on some positive and healing stuff for my friend but I thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone had an opinion or some help.

Thanks as always,
Purple Moon
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

Your energy would be better used to help your friend. Seeing the rapist hurt wont help your friend, seeing him brought to justice in the courts will, because your friend will feel safer knowing the bastard is locked up.
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

It doesn't matter what the gender or orientation, rape is a very serious thing and he should go to the police. Everything should be done to put his rapist in jail.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
Greek_Male_Witch

Hi...

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

Hi, I don't want to seem the stupid here, but I will tell you based on my own experiences and only my own, not rules,not books ok? Universe WILL serve a nice dish or revenge on that other guy, even if you don't cast a spell, why? because thats the way it works, Shadowx I know you will disagree with me about Karma, but I have a personal experience I would like to share (not to piss you off, just to proove my words only) so I had this notepad with my best friend on high school, we weren't witches back then, we barely knew the word Karma, in this notepad, we where writing you know funny stuff about teachers and stuff, not insults, funny comics and stuff, my best friend though thought it would be better if we rip the pages off the notepad, in case someone finds it, so we did, but we left one inside, it was a joke of me against my friend, he knew the joke, but we didn't thought it would be harmful,so we left it inside the notepad, we where laughing once on class, and the teacher took the notepad,because he thought we where laughing about it, and what he did, was to read in everyone on the class what I had wrote for my best friend, as a joke, so we ended up being bullied because they thought it was funny, here is where Karma kicks in, three months later, this same proffessor is being kicked for having afair with a (female) student, so the way I see it, he made a secret of mine and my best friend's known, and one of his secrets gets known! THIS IS WHAT I CALL KARMA GUYS! he tasted his own innapropriate thing! because a teacher can, always take things and read them in personal, but NEVER make you embarassed in front of the entire class! that was my story.
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

I don't believe that the Universe needs any help from a revenge spell. The rapist WILL get what he deserves, but your friend needs to go to the police ASAP. The sooner a rape is reported, the more evidence that can be gathered, and the sooner you can get an arrest, trial, and conviction.
akumaxkami

Post by akumaxkami »

Well, I have a differing opinion I suppose, from the others.

See, I don't believe in this westernized version of karma a lot of you subscribe to, so I don't necessarily think that the universe will dish out some punishment for this bastard. I don't view the universal life force as judgemental at all, in fact it's pretty chaotic.

I think if you feel you should, go ahead and cast a justice spell on him. This will put forth the right kind of energies without being necessarily malignant. But a justice spell might entice the police to look into your friend's case further should he report it.
Greek_Male_Witch

Hi...

I want to make a correction here, I didn't supported any kind of west or east tradition about Karma, I told my story, just that, I think Karma will dish out something, why? because I don't believe is chaotic, if it was then there wouldn't be humanity or even Universe after all, I think its all part of a design, we just don't get it. Not even me....
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

The universe is chaotic, science and many forms of magick agree on that. Beliefs differ i know but there is no pattern out there.

The thing is this, what does revenge give us? If you were to go out and beat this rapist up what does it solve? Nothing, however, if you go out, hunt him down and chopped his bits off, what does that solve? A lot, he certainly wont be raping anyone else.

My point is there is a difference between revenge for the sake of revenge, and revenge for protection. This isnt born out of a fear for some fictional god or goddess who is going to smite me down, but out of morals and balance within my own self.

So, a spell to bring justice in the form of pain, disease, emotional hurt? No. A spell to make the police go catch him, yes! The way to do that spell? Get your friend to report it ASAP!
crystalw

Post by crystalw »

Karma will come around and get him without you doing anything, if it hasn't already.

I second what others have said. The best thing to do (and the best way to get revenge/justice) is to go to the police and press charges. Think about it - you can cast dark spells and maybe he'll stub his toe or lose his car keys, or you can get him locked up for years. Which is worse for him?
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

The question shouldnt be "which is worse for him" it should be "which is best for your friend".

Karma isnt something you should rely on... it's a cop out equal to "i dont want to do something about it, im lazy" or "im too scared to do something about it"
Y0m

Post by Y0m »

I beg that you will forgive, and bless.
All I know is I love you.
That's about all I can do.
PurpleMoon

Post by PurpleMoon »

Well, first of all, thanks everyone for your input. I haven't done anything yet and if I do it'll just be for justice if he reports it. Right now I am focusing on trying to get him to do something about it but he wont.

The problem is, aside from the fact that he's gay and afraid the cops wont take him seriously, he also is aware that I was raped two years ago and there was not enough evidence to do anything about it. I have never regretted reporting it though and I can't make him understand that the point wasn't just so the cops would arrest him (which would have been nice) but also so that if he ever does it again they'll have record of this report and he'll be more likely to be convicted.

Anyway, the reason I haven't done a spell is because I have no idea what kind of outcome it might have, a stubbed toe or him getting hit by a car... and also because two days before this happened I had the strangest dream that I was doing a spell for something and it required blood so I killed a bunch of mice and drained their blood. I was very upset over what I had done because I am a vegetarian and I love animals and I would never do such a thing. (Why I even had such a dream I have no idea, it was very strange).

So, anyway, every time I thought about doing something I realized that I would end up feeling the same way about it as I did about killing those dream mice. Like I was betraying myself and my beliefs. So instead I'm focusing on trying to get him to do the right thing or at least to help him through this any way I can.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

On the non-magical side of this, because it has been a while since the rape happend it will be hard to have him convicted, and maybe this is way your friend doesn't want to do anything about it.

A few weeks ago my rapist was carged and found innocent and I had an eye witness, my bac at a 3.6 and a suspicious tox screen on my side.

Justice is not always the answer. And it may not be what your friends wants or needs right now. Let us say the accused gets found guilty, will your friend stop letting this guy rule his head?
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

JBRaven wrote:On the non-magical side of this, because it has been a while since the rape happend it will be hard to have him convicted, and maybe this is way your friend doesn't want to do anything about it.

A few weeks ago my rapist was carged and found innocent and I had an eye witness, my bac at a 3.6 and a suspicious tox screen on my side.

Justice is not always the answer. And it may not be what your friends wants or needs right now. Let us say the accused gets found guilty, will your friend stop letting this guy rule his head?
And getting revenge - say, killing the rapist- will make things all right at the end of the day? Because regardless of whether or not someone takes revenge against the man, the victim will ALWAYS have scars from that experience. The damage has already been done. Yes, the guy needs to pay for what he did, but just killing him won't make all the scars and the pain he caused go away. I'm not defending him, I'm just making an observation.
Greek_Male_Witch

Hi...

So Lilly Cantodea by what you say, you suggest what? let this rapist be? of course the damage have been done, I agree, but on a court a murderer will be convicted, they convict him even though the victim will never come back to life, so what do you say, we should not convict someone or revenge in this case because the damage is already done? I'm not attacking, in a few words I just disagree.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”