Scented verus Unsented

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
BaileyKatG

Scented verus Unsented

Post by BaileyKatG »

I really don't have access to candles or the money to get new ones so I was wondering if the random sented candles from Yankee Candle that I already have around the house are as good as an unsented votive (or other) candle.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

I replied in your other thread too.... many people think that all natural products are better than non-natural, for example a plastic pentacle versus a hand crafted wooden one. I am undecided... I have complex theories on magick (and i intend on writing them down in a book of sorts...), part of those theories would suggest that something like a tree, being a living being could form the energies around it and "soak them up" into the wood forming a sort of energy grain, much like the grain of the wood that will help the energies flow... However, another part of my theory says the mind is the controller, the energy simply obeys.

Anyhoo... take from that what you will. What do you think works better? Scented or non? no matter what i or anyone else says it is you that must decide. There is no right and wrong.
[Guardian Wolf]

Post by [Guardian Wolf] »

The spirits do not care if your candles smell good or not.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I think the only problem with a scented candle it that the scent might not coincide with your mind to complete your goal. Having a scent that screams lust will not help you with a purity spell.

Other than that I don't have a problem. It is all about what you think is right, magic is yours to create and practice.
PurpleMoon

Post by PurpleMoon »

I tend to use scented because it is what I have however I agree that the scent must match the spell. All my white candles smell like orchids... but I think I eventually want to go with unscented so I don't have to worry about matching.

As was said before, it's what you like that really matters.
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

It really doesn't matter whether the candles or scented or not when it comes to working with candle magick. It's up to you whether to use them or not. Scented candles work just as well as non-scented (though for me, I use non-scented if I happen to be doing candle magick, which isn't often because I'm not really into the use of altar tools; scents distract me, and sometimes even make me sick to my stomach).
Y0m

Post by Y0m »

Lily Cantodea wrote:It really doesn't matter whether the candles or scented or not when it comes to working with candle magick. It's up to you whether to use them or not. Scented candles work just as well as non-scented (though for me, I use non-scented if I happen to be doing candle magick, which isn't often because I'm not really into the use of altar tools; scents distract me, and sometimes even make me sick to my stomach).
This is true. To go even further though, you don't really need candles or anything really.

You have been given everything you need at this moment.
All I know is I love you.
That's about all I can do.
Melindrose

Post by Melindrose »

candles can be comforting but yom is right you don't really need candles, all they really do is act as a focus for your energy if you have enough control of your energy that you don't need them then don't use them. However, if you need candles make sure that if they are scented the scents match your intent.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”