Casting a circle

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
BaileyKatG

Casting a circle

Post by BaileyKatG »

Is it necessary to cast a circle before every spell or just for the more powerful ones?
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

Hmm, when performing in the nature you dont need a circle since the elements are already all around you, or you could just make a circle in the dirt/sand.
when i do small spells (a candle and a prayer) i dont cast a circle, and as you said for the most powerfull and complicated spells , well then the circle is necessary:)
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

And you should note that there are many ways of casting your circle, you can have a ritual rope about 4-9 meters and lay it in a circle. or you can try the classic way with element representatives (fire earth water wind).
You can also draw a circle with chalk, or simply picture it!
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

I've never casted a circle for any spell. I see the world, my home and everything else as sacred in its own right, so one's not needed, plus I know if I'm doing anything that might have some danger to it, my daemons/guardians are right there with me.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Casting a circle

Post by SpiritTalker »

Circles can be acts of devotion, unite cosmic-mundane-underworlds & alter consciousness, protect from interfering energies, support & actually carry the spell on a cone of power. They’re useful as methods of developing grounding, centering & projecting skills. So ... Use a circle if you want any of those benefits, otherwise not.

Simple Circle - start and end at north, 🔄🧹sweep off debris, light some incense, & then walk around ↩️ 👉🏼 point-&-push to cast circle. Seeing in the mind acts both in the mundane realm & in the etheric realm to help clear stagnant energy. Quietly lighting an inviting incense suggests knowing who/what you invite, and raising Earth energy ⚡️to project the circle takes a bit of practice too.

📖 Free PDF Books
. Cunningham’s Solitary Wicca is available as a free pdf. https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/relig ... tioner.pdf
. Buckland’s Complete Book of Witchcraft free pdf https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/relig ... hcraft.pdf
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

No (in answer to the original question). And I apologise if I waffle on below. Personal waffle only; its flow.

Nothing is entirely necessary in magic unless it is believed/intuited to be a taboo or ban (a psychological no-no which will disrupt your focus; you believe it will be a problem, forsee it will be a problem so it will become a problem).

Listen to the little green guy with big ears ;)

What magical liminal spaces are however is useful, really useful especially for solitaires, who substitute the immediate purpose built egregore of energy of group working for intense focused... more personal... internalisation and use layered, considered collective and personal symbolism (their 'collective' in symbolism being the species, the collective unconscious).

Circles are a safer, focused working space - you bring all the required things to hand and they can create an area where practitioners are better able to suspend their disbelief. Circles keep the magic in until you decide to raise its frequency and energy and let it out. They also keep other energies from outside from interfering with what you are doing.

A circle is a 'sacred enclosure' it separates what is inside the circle from outside. Like a clean and tidy workbench in an messy workshop - it's deliberate, it's focused on what is within it. The only 'mess' is what you may inadvertantly through a lack of preparation and caution, brought in with you.

It's also is esoteric terms a microcosm of the universe. So imagine yourself in the middle of your own scale model of the universe, doing your practical work, then raising energies and 'casting' it out into the macrocosm: a stone in a pond rippling outward.

If you are an intuitive practitioner however (Dionysian rather then Apollonian) the faff of ritual can interrupt the flow of energy, so you work to internalise your symbols - learn and set aside - and knit together your coorespondances.

So a fancy marble circle is a chalk drawn circle with candles and writing is a roughly pegged enclosure of sting, is a roughly sprinkled, roughly drawn circle of salt or coloured powder, is a pointed and visualised perimeter of athame, index finger and light, is a focused and maintained auric egg, is within the curvature of the universe around us. Those things mean something because the collective soul believes it means something (or rather recognises it does), so a circle, without understanding any coorespondance, still is a symbol of the collective.

Why do so many people use the collective system and symbolism of Western hermeticism? Because it has the imprint of a lot of peoples collective belief and will (egregore). And that is useful, not essential. Its the well explored framework to building your own personal connective methodology and practice.

The circle. It's there, doing its job, being its symbol and with attention instantly available. Breath in, roots down, branches out. Like much in magic, certainly in solitary work, it's more about the current parameters of the practitioner then the practice.
uaya

Post by uaya »

In Christopher Panczak's book City magick he relates casting a circle to charging the energy in the circle with intent and then releasing it into the world. I took notes on this book and here is what I understood on how he uses circle casting: Circle casting is a good basis, because energy brought into the circle can be programmed
First Round- I create this circle to protect us from all forces coming to do harm.
Second- I ask only for energies coming in perfect love and trust, in complete harmony with my magical intentions, to enter this circle
Third- I create a sacred temple beyond time and space, between the worlds, where my magical intentions will manifest. So mote it be.
North Hemisphere make circle from the North , clockwise

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”