Do I need to be initiated?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Love_For_All

Do I need to be initiated?

Post by Love_For_All »

I hear all this about self initiation and how it is necessary but can't be rushed into. The thing is, I did a solstice ritual recently, and I'm starting to wonder if the stream of bad luck I'm having is because I did a ritual before dedicating myself.
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

A self-dedication rite is entirely up to you. You don't have to do a rite in order to practice the Craft. Some witches do self-dedications, while others don't.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

Generally a self dedication is Wiccan, i think. So if you are Wiccan then it would be worth thinking about it. Other than inside Wicca a self dedication is sort of hit or miss, some do it, some dont so there is no *need* to do one, but if you feel you would like to dedicate yourself then by all means do so!

Nothing negative will come of the dedication, or of not doing it so i wouldnt say the bad luck is anything to do with the dedication. If you did any spell work within the ritual it may be worth going over what you did and seeing if its possible that anything went slightly wrong. Other than it could be pure coincidence!
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

No, self dedication isn't just wiccan... its a personal choice. I'm not wiccan and i dedicated myself... though dedication and initiation are two completely different things. As i'm not wiccan i dont believe you MUST be initiated to practise the craft etc... i think thats silly but if its what you believe than go for it.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

i dont believe you MUST be initiated to practise the craft etc
That was essentially my meaning. If you are wiccan then you have to initiate/dedicate, usually after 101 days of researching the craft.

If you are wiccan then the choice is yours.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Do I need to be initiated?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Initiation -if well done - is like a Way Opener spell in that it opens the initiate to forms of energy s/he needs to progress on the path they select. The same can be said for self dedication - it's like putting a spell on yourself to open your mind to the path. If we aren't expecting change as a result then it may seem like things suddenly got weird & not realize we authorized change by making a dedication. Fate points out some adjustments that need to be made to unblock progress. So take a long look at what is causing your feelings to beshaken up & go along... Or resist change & fuss over it. Either way you're going to progress because you asked to. I guess only you know of you need to & want to make adjustments & progress on your path.
ThunderFog

Post by ThunderFog »

I was never initiated and I do magic just fine neither was my fiance, though we have very unorthodox situations with magic that is not my place to say
The ability to question our way of thinking is what shows our intelligence.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've never had coven membership so haven't been initiated either. Unorthodox situations probably serve the same function as the initiation experience.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think whether you do it yourself or are initiated by a coven it is a way to prompt you brain to a shift,
as well as being a promise to the Goddess (or God or both) and yourself.

Used to be one had to have the magic passed down from one witch to the next, then it was widely accepted to do the task yourself, however one is missing out on that "unbroken" chain. Lineage used to be quite the issue, I think folks have calmed down on that one some. Even just having another human anoint and bless you on your path is pretty powerful, maybe you and the fiancé could do a self recognition ceremony or something?

BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

Love_For_All wrote: I'm starting to wonder if the stream of bad luck I'm having is because I did a ritual before dedicating myself.
When did you learn about dedicating yourself? Before or after you started practicing?

First I'd ask that you really take some time to contemplate luck in your cosmology. I've never believed in luck myself.
Luck is the boogeyman of an externally focused Locus.

The infinite systems that make up life, the universe, and everything all hanging on a thread of luck?

I simply cannot believe that. Now chaos and entropy surely exist...but that isn't luck.

It took me a long time to come to terms with this idea but, if things aren't going well and it seems like every step you take an obstacle or unpleasantness lands on you or in front of you, that is a clear sign that you need to take a moment. Stop.
Focus.
Balance.
Ask to be shown what it is you need to be working on in the now.

Don't be hard on yourself. You are trying. You are expressing. You are becoming. Take all the time and space you need.

It's not like someone is keeping score.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Well said.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”