Starting books and a "Dark" magic question

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Fluestern

Starting books and a "Dark" magic question

Post by Fluestern »

Most of my past practice has been in meditation, lucid dreaming and visualizations. I don't have much experience with magic or wicca (not sure if I'm supposed to capitalize either). I've begun reading Bucklands Complete book of Witchcraft and Wicca: Guide for the solo practitioner. They seemed to be good starting points. I've read other books, but nothing of a learning path. Just odds and ends here and there.

Does anyone believe in "dark" magic. The only experience I've had with it was an ill-tempered person, who seemed to think that sort of magic would give him power to harm and intimidate others, I'm guessing, in a way he'd never find it in any other way. Anyway, after hearing him bragging about cursing people, I was a little more than disturbed and told him I thought it was inappropriate and unhealthy for him to be so angry. Does anyone have an idea if this sort of thing is real/possible? If so, do you think he could do something negative to me for chastising him? Anyway, I was slightly worried about this, but don't see anything in my books about stopping bad actions.
Thanks in advance.
Airlight
Banned Member

Post by Airlight »

I love to use this quote with people when I talk about the "black and white" about magick:

"True magick is neither black nor white. It is both because nature is both. Loving and Cruel all at the same time"

It comes from the movie The Craft, it was said by the witch in the store name Lirio. It is true, magick is not black or white, even the whitest of magick can become grayed if you have bad thoughts in your head while doing it.

Also, there is such things as curses and hexes...they are real, they can be used on people. He just has an angry heart and probably is not casting real magick, karma will get him. If you believe he is going to curse you, you can of course protect yourself with a spell of some sort or place a force field of some type around you and your home.
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

This question seems to come up quite often, so I have posted a link below to a thread.

The Dark Side of Balance
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... highlight=
Fluestern

Books

Post by Fluestern »

Thanks for answering dark magic question. I felt sorry for the guy, and in retrospect feel bad about being harsh with him. He was the first person who I'd heard knew something about magic. I was very disappointed.

My primary question, though, is: are the books I mentioned good as an introduction to Wicca? I've been reading what I can find here and there. My spiritual experience includes: I've done visualizations and meditation since I was pretty young; about 20 years. I've done a lot of lucid dreaming, also (5 years). I've only recently been interested in spiritual aspects, because I've had wonderful/amazing dreams that I've been dead (hard to explain) and dreaming outside my body. Is contacting spirit guides advanced magic? I would also like to find a deeper connection to the things around me, if that makes sense. I've always thought of spirituality in a more humanistic way as being in the self, but now I'm starting to feel there's something beyond that. Book recommendations and advice are greatly appreciated. :-)
Airlight
Banned Member

Post by Airlight »

Yes it is good, if you really want to get into Wicca...if you go on GaiaOnline(which I do not suggest to some people) you are only Wiccan if you follow the 161 laws that Gardner had pulled out his butt for you to follow lol..including the Wiccan Rede. I've seen the book you mention and heard very good reviews about it. Oh, goodie! Spirit guide, it isn't that hard...I have this exercise thing I could give you. It is a great exercise and I use to give it to people to find their guardian during the Winx phase a lot of kids went through.

Well it is two exercises that go side by side, here:

-Wait till you are relaxed and calm, I suggest right before bed unless you are too tired
-Lay down on your back on your bed and close your eyes taking deep relaxing breaths
-Now wait until you are very calm then begin

1)In your mind you appear in a new place still laying down but now above you is sky

2)you stand up and wander around looking at the area you have appeared in, it is gorgeous!

3)after you wander you find a small gate...you admire it for a while because of the intricate designs on it

4) through the gate it looks like just more of the same, but that doesn' make sense, why would there be a gate in the middle of no where? You walk through

5) All of a sudden you are in a room but in a second it goes black...you can see nothing until something appears in the center of the room. It grows larger and larger taking up the whole room, soon you choose to step into it and are overcome by an odd tingling

6) now the whole room is full of this thing and youa re inside it soon you walk forward until you come outside, it has stopped growing and you see a door.

7) you walk through the door and this time the room is the room that flashed before you the last time. In the far corner stands a figure covered in darkness

8) the figure steps into the light and tells you a phrase, it may make sense, it may not, but remember it...

9) the figure disappears and you all of a sudden you are surrounded by an odd energy field...it lifts you into the air and after a large noise you appear back in the place you started on your back again

10) you can now open your eyes and do whatever

This is the next one.

picture your guardian
concentrate hard on her being
around her a room will appear
you walk into the center of this room
you hold out a hand palm up
it begins to glow brightly with your power
she holds her own hand out palm down
it too begins to glow brightly
each of you steps forward
you push your palm to hers as she does urs
as teh glows meet they begin to grow until they engulf you both
you begin spinning together
connected only by that hand
the spinning at last stops
she pulls her hand gently up
and you pull yours down
as they separate the glow dims
finally you look around and see your surroundings
she leans into you and whispers something in your ear
gently you step forward into the area around you
but she holds you back her hand on your shoulder
you turn to her and she shakes her head softly
you nod and walk to her
in fact you walk into her
she whispers a single word to you as you merge
your body merges with hers and your eyes open

They came with questions but you do not need the questions, also your guardian isn't always female, isn't always human either so don't be alarmed if you see something else. Guardian/Spirit Guides are whoever and you might have more than one. I have 2 a man and a woman...so far.
Fluestern

gaia online

Post by Fluestern »

I just went to gaiaonline and it looks like a video game. What does that have to do with Wicca?
Airlight
Banned Member

Re: gaia online

Post by Airlight »

Fluestern wrote:I just went to gaiaonline and it looks like a video game. What does that have to do with Wicca?
There are forums, one is has a whole thread dedicated to Wicca and there are many other types of forums dedicated to Wicca and all types of things there. It is a social site with little people you design yourself.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Thanks Steph i was about to suggest the other threads...
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Oh dear- ok, I just read *one* of the threads (just titled "wicca") on the Gaiaonline forum area of the site.... it appears there are two things going on there- they have some "club" internally on Gaiaonline (or somewhere) that involves the role playing games that are also on Gaiaonline (the "community" or something to that effect)... and there are others who are actual real-life wiccans who are chiming in discrediting what is being incorrectly stated in the forums about wicca. (Like "you must be sexually initiated into wicca" and their assertion that wicca is a "fertility religion" (meaning sex based/centering around sex).)

Yeah, so I can fairly safely say that Gaiaonline is NOT the place to gain knowledge on wicca, paganism, the occult or any true-to-life alternative religions. Get a book instead. I'm partial to Cunningham. :28:

~BB~
*M
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

MoonStone wrote: Get a book instead. I'm partial to Cunningham. :28:

~BB~
*M
I'm not even Wiccan and I love Scott Cunninham's books. The man was a genius writer when it came to the craft. I think he had one of the best outlooks there has every been when it came to putting out there how to practice.
Fluestern

Post by Fluestern »

I didn't see anything too promising when i was browsing GAIA. I've read Buckland's book that when it comes to the occult your best knowledge is often times still in books. I'm plugging through his book. I did have a dramatic scene when my partner found my witchcraft books. He was fine with lucid dreaming, meditation groups and astral projection, but throw a pentagram on a book and everyone freaks out. I did talk him down, reminding him that this was my religious heritage, it was stolen from me, my ancestors punished by Christians, and that I would like to, at the very least, come to know more about the practice and its history. I do like his book.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”