Basics/questions

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Corleonis

Basics/questions

Post by Corleonis »

Can anyone give me some basics on witchcraft? Readings,advice and such.

I've looked trough the witchcraft school but most it is just ''hmm looks like you already your stuff,here's some advanced stuff'' Maybe that's just me but that's what I feel like..

I know how to cast a circle about the elements and the moon phases.
I'm practicing meditation but don't seem to go anywhere,I'm trying though. Is there any good exercises on visualization I can do for meditation? I've read about visualizing yourself in a place dear to you,how should I do that exactly? Do I actually have to SEE the place or something similar?

Hmm..Also,how do I know wich elements to call upon for differents spells,who to call upon,who does what etc.

Is the altar necessary? I'm kindof restricted in many ways at this moment. I don't think I can afford an altar at the moment. I'm also very bad at building stuff. :roll:

Once I get better,is there some spell I should start with to practice?

Thanks...
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

Well, first off. Meditation is easily obtainable if you practice concentration. Stare at a clock(the hand-hour)
Now, when you are meditating, i started off first not seeing anything or feeling anything. Just close your eyes and let all of your stress go away. breathe deeply.
When you have completely relaxed, think about something youd wish to see. Sometimes when i cant see anything, i stare at something, and close my eyes. and wait to see it in my minds' eye.
Now, as for your other questions. I dont have an altar. if you have some crystals and some shells, do what some others have done. decorate a bookcase. anything will work.
Hope this helps a little.
now, as for the other stuff. Go to a library and search Scott Cunningham. He has really good books. As for which element you use. It depends on which moon phase, and such. BOOKS are amazing, and internet. Search google. see what it has. Its open for us to dig in and search for what we need!
Hope that helped some as well.

Blessed Be,
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

Dear Corleonis,
Thanx for your post here it gives me a boost to work harder for the witchcraft school. I am already working on something right now though..
About the elements, each element has a unique character and different powers, for example water is for deap knowledge, changability, arts and intuition. With that in mind you use water in your spells when you want to bring about change. And lets not forget water scrying..(intuition).
Radiance

Post by Radiance »

An altar does not have to be fancy or expensive, use an old table, shelf even a tv tray as a surface and put things that are spiritually meaningful to you on it as a start. Put things on it from outside that reflect the seasons, my altar often has leaves or flowers on it. Right now it has some cattails that my daughter and I picked from the edges of the frozen river behind our house.

Brightest Blessings
Radiance
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Altars... sometimes when i was in a coven we would just put an altar cloth on the floor and put all the stuff needed on that cloth... altars dont need to be fancy, just get a cheap second hand coffee table or something. Even then you dont need to do that, just a shelf will do.

Meditation takes practise, you will get more used to it as you keep practising and you will get more and more out of it as you go. When they say "visualise" its like shutting your eyes and "imagining" something... picture it... the black screen sort of thing you see when you shut your eyes... pretend its a canvas and just "paint" a picture of whatever it is you are supposed to visualise... its harder for some than others which sucks...

As for deciding what elements, deities etc to call on.... why not get yourself a sort of list telling you what each element or diety or whatever stands for, think about the purpose of your spell or ritual and line it up with what the element etc stands for.

I do this for the new and full moons... depending on what sign the moon is in (and when its full moon i take note of what the sun is in also) and think about what that sign relates to and base my ritual from that.

I hope that covers everything i read in your question...

Pix
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Twisted_Pixie wrote:the black screen sort of thing you see when you shut your eyes... pretend its a canvas and just "paint" a picture of whatever it is you are supposed to visualise
Great advice!

My advice on your clar. Put together something that feels special to you. There are standards for what altars usually look like, but honestly....mine is not standard (I will post a picture eventually). I have all sorts of items that came from my family or memories through the years. You can collect items throughout your house. For ex; my altar cloths are all my mothers or grandmothers shawls and scarfs. They did not cost me a dime, and every time I look at them, I see how beautiful my mother or grandmother looked while wearing it. When you look at your altar and think, that is beautiful and wonderful, you have hit the nail on the head.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Basics/questions

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old post
Corleonis wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:42 pm ....
... Are there any good exercises on visualization I can do for meditation?
... How do I know wich elements to call upon for differents spells,who to call upon,who does what etc.
... Is the altar necessary? I'm kindof restricted in many ways at this moment. I don't think I can afford an altar at the moment. I'm also very bad at building stuff. :roll:
... Once I get better,is there some spell I should start with to practice?
Thanks...

FOCUSING can be strengthened by gazing at a candle flame’s dance until it’s all you see. We don’t have to imagine to meditate but do need to hold our attention still.
. Then ask what do you most need to know at this time. You might see images, hear a thought voice or nothing at the moment but could dream information later.

SPELL DESIGNING
The EUTM board now has a correspondence list that hadn’t been done when the OP asked.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=26933

Use elemental correspondences to know which spell to use & materials to use related to goals. Brief ex.,

💨 AIR - study, intellect; 🟨 use sigils, chant or a witches ladder; sage, lavender,cinnamon stick, mint; tiger eye, quartz
🔥 FIRE - partnership, vitality; 🟥 use a candle spell, sprinkle rosemary, bay, basil around candle; red jasper, garnet
💦 WATER - emotions, psychism; 🟦 use potion or witches bottle; thyme, chamomile, lemon, rose; sodalite, turquoise
🌎 EARTH - home, prosperity; 🟩 use grids or stone stroking, 9-knot-cord; oats, patchouli; hematite, aventurine, jade
✨ AETHER - spirituality; 🟪 use crystal grids, mandalas, chants, sigils; angelica root, cinnamon; sugilite, fluorite, amethyst

SENSIBLE ALTAR & STARTER KIT
Altars are places of reflection as well as practical work space. There’s no rule that we have to copy the ceremonial magicians style. Use any flat, stable surface; we can choose not to use ritual tools.

. 🥣 🍸 ☕️ repurpose what you have on hand
. 🍃 Rosemary, sage & thyme are purifying as incense
.🧂 table salt is a go-to purifier, 💧olive oil - plain or scented - is traditional for anointing
. 👆🏽use fingers to point & direct energy
.🕯 🎂 Use any type of candle
. ⭐️ Paint a pentacle on a saucer or flat stone or print a pentagram picture
.🪨 any stone holds an intention; white quartz is all purpose; find it on paths & garden stores

SPELLS
. Pull power on the breath from Earth & sky to your gut, focus on intent, & push to 🙌🏽 magnetize spells with your intention
. There’s no such thing as a practice spell. They’re all live ammo. Know what you want - to attract, repel or empower.
. For beginner spells see the spell section, topic Simple Spells.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36682

You’re good to go. 😁

Corbin

Re: Basics/questions

Post by Corbin »

A nice place to start perhaps.

Starhawk tree meditation

LINKhttps://youtu.be/FP5F5y0xUhQ

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”