The worship of Lord Cthulhu

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Tony Perez

The worship of Lord Cthulhu

Post by Tony Perez »

This is actually said to be a entity which is very real to many of the darker variety of magick, and it was first hi-lighted in a Lovecraft novel about the Old Ones. Is anybody here too, knowing who Lord Cthulhu is and I know to actually have a calling can create some form of insanity in some.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

I have read the books on Cthulu but i believe the books to be fiction, and thats as far as it goes for me... Lovecraft is a rad author though... =)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: The worship of Lord Cthulhu

Post by SpiritTalker »

The Sumerian half man-half fish god Dagon came out of the primordial ooze to teach the arts of civilization. It may be an archetypal memory of an actual event that is so ancient it’s been forgotten. The high priest of the Dagon cult was called Cthulhu - pronounced Kutulu - lord of the underworld, who controlled weather, crops, & victory in battle.

Ref “The Lovecraft Code” 1st in a 3-book series of novels by Peter Levenda

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagon
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I've heard of chaos magicians using Cthulhu (but then a chaos magician, by the nature of their magic and beliefs could just as easily use hello kitty - especially if it annoys or perplexes people).

I see there is a book called 'Chaos magic of the Cthulhu Mythos' by... Ahem... Randy Carter.

Shout out to any other Lovecraft fans out there.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

🙀. No-oo, not Hello Kitty 🙀
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

It's so FLUFFY! I'm gonna die!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

SpiritTalker wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:27 am It may be an archetypal memory of an actual event that is so ancient it’s been forgotten. The high priest of the Dagon cult was called Cthulhu - pronounced Kutulu - lord of the underworld, who controlled weather, crops, & victory in battle.

Ref “The Lovecraft Code” 1st in a 3-book series of novels by Peter Levenda
There was a town that resembles the word (Tuttul) that this God Dagon was worshiped at, but Cthulhu is completely fictional and they are in no way related.
The Necronomicon, The work of a marginally sane man, is great fiction although there are lots of folk who regard it more literally, and with super-heros becoming the Gods of today, I can see folks who might incorporate this into Chaos work, makes sense.

My good friend and Priest wrote this cute little Cthulhu ditty,

I did find it interesting the miter Priests wear on their head is in direct reference to the Fish God, Dagon.
bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

SpiritTalker wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:27 am The Sumerian half man-half fish god Dagon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagon
Thanks for wiki source I had in mind to look that one up. I like Dagon.
Corbin wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:39 pm I've heard of chaos magicians using Cthulhu (but then a chaos magician, by the nature of their magic and beliefs could just as easily use hello kitty - especially if it annoys or perplexes people).
I think there are many misconceptions when it comes to lore & history altogether. Way too many. Probably impossible to tune that correctly without direct communication with spirits.

re firebird - I recall as I was browsing this forum's old posts too, that every time someone mentioned octopus, you couldn't resist to mention this fella, always!
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

LoL Sapphire! The creature does seem to get around, huh :roll:

I am finding the connections to Enki here to be pretty interesting,
Moreover, the vestments of paganism, the fish mitre and robes of the priests of Dagon are worn by the Catholic bishops, cardinals and popes.
Ea Enki, who is a God of Sumerian (Enki) and Babylonian (Ea) mythology.
quote from this page: https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vati ... can138.htm

Love your stuffie Corbin, it's very cute. ::coolglasses::
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Lovecraft got the name cthulhu from the word 'cthonic' (relating to or within the earth / underworld). While he had his aquatic servants he was meant to be an earth deity not an aquatic one (the sea itself forming the walls of his prison in the dread City of R'lyeh below the waves).

Much of his expanded 'mythos' (and indeed his popular legacy) are due to the contributions of August Derleth (who also wrote for 'weird tales', cooresponded with HPL since his teens and helped found 'Arkham House' to publish HPLs works). Other authors have picked up the torch since.

I'm afraid I know too much fact around the fiction for the fiction to become information to the fact. Quite why anyone would choose things designed to represent cosmic indifference and the cosmic futility of humanity outside the punk-psychodelia post-modernist guerilla magician or as a rebellious symbol of chaos or nihilism is a curious one, especially when you consider that most deities and archetypes merits are lessons hidden within the ways they relate to humanity (best examplified by Greek myth).

In fact 'myth' as a term is often described as:-
A traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”