Different ways to cast a circle?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Maribelle

Different ways to cast a circle?

Post by Maribelle »

I usually use salt, is there other ways?
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

I call in each element seperately, always starting with East (Air)... I usually say something like "I am inspiration of air" or "I am creation of fire" and then i chant the elemental call for each element 3 times.

Or i will say something simple like "I call to the air", "I call to the fire" etc etc....

I will draw the elemental sigil in the air in front of me with my athame and will be in the elemental posture (or stadur) for each element while i chant...

Wow i have a bad way of explaining things lol... its much easier than it sounds hahahaha

Blessed be
Pix
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

i still have trouble doing that when i call the elemenets i am a silly taffer what does a sigil look like?
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Sigils are different symbols.. each element has a different looking one =) They were given to me as a sort of initiation into the tradition i am trained in...
Maribelle

Post by Maribelle »

I meant more like what else is appropriate to use to actually make your circle if you dont have salt?
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Yeh i understand maribelle... i just never mark out an actual physical circle when i do ritual... the only thing i would class as "marking out a circle" for me would be i have crystal tea light holders in each direction.... thats about it
Maribelle

Post by Maribelle »

:o Ahhh I get it. Maybe I'll try that.
Thanks. By the way I love your avatar!
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Oh cheers hunni =)
Rifts
Banned Member

Post by Rifts »

MY CIRCLE'S A SQUARE. I DON'T HAVE ROOM FOR A CIRCLE. IS THAT EVEN ALRIGHT?
Rifts
Banned Member

Post by Rifts »

WELL ITS CLOSER TO A SQUARE THEN A CIRCLE.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Well really when i cast circle, it is KINDA a square, i mean, i call on the four directions, and well i guess that makes a square, but if you just visualise a circle, thats just as good =)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Different ways to cast a circle?

Post by SpiritTalker »

RE original post - Salt can be used as an unbroken, protective circle, but salt is also a purifier. It cleanses space to remove conflicting vibes so you have a clean slate to begin on; then you refill that cleared space with energy of your choosing. There are many ways to prep sacred space.

Visiably marking the circle rim is optional & a cord is probably easiest to use. Placing stones, candles or elemental symbols like colors at the quarter directions is another way. I've seen it marked with pine boughs, tarot cards, rose petals, mixed salt & herbs. It's more for groups so everyone knows where the boundary is. A solitary knows which direction is which & where they've projected the energy ring.

Ref Wicca - Guide for Solitary Practitioner by S. Cunningham

One simple way to prepare sacred space is to broom-sweep a circlular space walking (<~) widdershins, say "Round, around & round about, all good in & all bad out"; then project energy through your fingers to cast the circle while walking deosil (~>), say "As I walk the circle is cast, guarding all & holding fast." You can use any broom or make an herb & twig whisk to air-sweep. See it in your mind as it clears away stagnant energy, & as you project the circle. There's no quarter calls or invocation so the circle dissipates when walked through. Should you need to go in & out of the circle lay the broomstick on the rim as a threshold to step over so the current isn't broken.

Extending a greeting to the Spirit of the Place by expanding the subtle senses to the surroundings where we are and leaving a friendly offering when done is a simple ritual we can do.

Another simple way to prep sacred space is to walk deosil (~>) spritzing lightly salted water to cleanse & introduce earth & water, say "i cleanse this circle with earth & water." Make a 2nd pass carrying a stick of smoking incense to bless, & intro air & fire, say "I bless this circle with air & fire." Make a 3rd pass to project the energy. You can stop there. Without quarter calls or invocation a simple circle disipates when walked thru. End the rite with thanks & ground yourself. Any time you want to add on the full ritual is fine too. Use the blade to cut a door if you need to leave & re-cast the gap when you return to close the door.

If you're using a Stang outdoors make 3 passes (<~) widdershins while lightly pressing on the Stang as if plowing a furrow; pull power from the earth upwards through the Stang. This is usually done outdoors & the Stang becomes the altar, standing upright at center. Earth is sacred & no salt is used as it kills the grass. To go in & out of the circle without breaking the circle, lay the Stang as a threshold.

In all examples set your gear inside the space before starting. Begin & end at the same place. Raise energy easily by clapping a rhythmic beat. To project energy you'd center, draw energy on the breath from earth & sky & into the belly. Think of the circle & push from the gut & out the pointing fingers or tool if used.

People with good visualization & focused thought can imagine the circle extending out around themselves like a shield.

Complete circle casting steps:

Set a foundation:
. Cleanse space by sprinkling combined salt & water which also introduces passive (-) Earth & Water.
. Bless with smoldering incense which also introduces active (+) Air & Fire.
. Raise & project Earth's energy on the ground in a circular form.
> words: "Round, around and round about, all good in and all bad out; as I walk the circle is cast, guarding all and holding fast."

And then construct the Temple:
. Set the temple's corners by calling the powers of east-Air, south-Fire, west-Water & north-Earth. Face each in turn.
> "I call Air for power to know, I call fire for power to go, I call water for power to flow, I call earth for power to grow, as above, so below."
. Infill the temple with sacred presence by inviting the Triple Goddess & Horned God of nature.
> "Be welcome here Lady and Lord of Nature"

Do what you came for:
. As needed do worship, spell crafting, trance, spirit travel, meditation.
. Honor the partnership with communion -
>"I walk the Land that cradles the Sea, through which Life came forth and the Sky encompasses me. All is Divinity.
I welcome Life in joy, peace & harmony."
Ring a bell thrice in salute. Then the regular meal blessing follows.
> "I bless this offering in the names of the Lady & Lord of Nature. With a greatful heart & good cheer I thank you for this bread & beer." Eat & drink 1/2 & place the rest in a bowl & take it outdoors after the ritual.

Wrap-up & finish:
. Farewell the deities & release the 4 powers in reverse order to dissolve the links.
> "This rite is ended. Lady & Lord If go thee must, may it ever be in love and trust" and
> "Powers of the north, west, south, east, I give my thanks, may you go in peace,"
. Dissipate or ground residual energy.
. Clean up.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

There is definitely different ways. The original way the Sumerians did it was with flour.

In modern times I like the idea of doing multiple circles at a time.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I use a silk rope. It's 3 braided strands almost 1/2 inch thick.
I found it at a thrift store for $2. It was a window dressing originally.

The rope was cleansed and consecrated and I sit I close it around me either sitting or standing.
It makes a 6 foot circle when closed and I can move my arms around a bit without crossing it.
When I'm done I just judge it with my foot to open it.

The cleansing was just sage smudge and the consecrating was a bit of incense oil and pulling it through my hands while I thought of reliable works and the solidness and completeness of the rope.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

The silk rope sounds pretty. I still use visualization. I'm a creature of habit.
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”