Altar question...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Tabatha'sMind

Altar question...

Post by Tabatha'sMind »

I know to some of you this may sound absolutley silly... but its a question about my altar.. when i first started with this a few months ago... it was basic ..a little table and i do mean little a little alter box and afew things from home since i couldnt afford all the offical things such as athame, cauldron and so on.. anyways i had my table on the north wall.. so it was easier for me to set up the alter and making sure everything was in proper place..example water on the west insense on the east and so on. well i have gotten lucky and was able to order some of the things for my alter and i decided to move it to on top of my dresser ...its a beautiful dresser one of those that have the doors on it with a shelf inside wich is perfect to start putting my things i am collecting . i got it all cleaned up and just beautiful..anyways i am rambling i am sorry. the dresser itself is on the southern wall..my little alter box on top if i am standing at the dresser my back is to the north. now how would i place my things in reference to that? i know it seems silly but i want the basics kept ontop of my dresser but i want them all in thier right place... thank you in advance
Blessed Be
MotherSuperior

Post by MotherSuperior »

Generally the alter faces north, however, some traditions suggest facing it east as well. When you consider the meanings of the directions (N,E,S,W-Earth, Air, Fire, Water) any direction is sacred.

North is suggested because it is of the Earth, which is the cradle of our beliefs. Also this allows the sun and moon to rise and set across the face of the alter, however, the latter also applies to a southern facing alter as well. The placement of objects on the alter, I believe, is subject to the alter itself, so no, you shouldn't need to change the layout. That being said, perhaps you may want to consider "themeing" your alter to fire. Do this only if you have some affinity to fire, otherwise keep it how it stands currently.
Tabatha'sMind

Post by Tabatha'sMind »

Well thank you for answering my question.
Blessed Be
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Altar question...

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old topic -
. You can put your altar gear on a tray & move it to the desired location for rites
. You can cast a Circle around a fixed altar even if you can’t walk around it
. You can find inexpensive trays at thrift stores

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”