Need some advice on a wiccan name?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
PhoenixSong

Need some advice on a wiccan name?

Post by PhoenixSong »

Okay, so I'm a bit new here, please forgive me if I break any rules or there's another thread where I could have put this, I did search rather thoroughly and read all the bits about the rules. :)
Anywho, I need a bit of advice.
Right now, I'm studying Wicca by myself. I have been interested in it for some years, but for a myriad of reasons, I've only recently begun my study. I went out and bought alot of books on the subject, wanting to be well informed. I worked my way through a book on the history of 'witchcraft' in general--everything that falls under than blanket term--and now I am working through "To Ride A Silver Broomstick" by Silver Ravenwolf. Unfortunately, at the moment I still cannot find someone to study under, or a coven to learn from, for many reasons, so all I have is books, and books do not speak back.
I've come to the part where you can choose your Wiccan name, which I chose to do, but I'm having some trouble.
The first was easy, once it came to me--Phoenix. It is right. And then I chose, as my sort of last name, 'firetiger'. It seemed right at the time, but now...it just doesn't work. Now, don't get me wrong, tigers--I love tigers. They are the animal that have pretty much followed me my whole life. But it just doesn't fit for who I am, as my name.
So--the criteria for the name has to be--I want it to be something airy, flowy, something definitely to do with nature, not so hot as Phoenix, cooler, but not too cool, not as cool as silver or water. If I'm making any sense, I think you can help. :D Anyway--one last bit, I want it to be something that's also--normal. Like, it's not flashy or in-your-face. It could pass for a real last name. Like, Phoenix is a unique first name, but not unheard of, whereas Purple or Snake would be a kind of weird name.
I'm definitely not one of those people that's into Wicca so I can shove it into everybody's face.
So, I've said a little with a lot, and if you can help, thankyoumuch.
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

Well, I can tell you I took one look at your user name before reading all of the post, and asked myself "What's wrong with "Phoenix Song" being a Wiccan name?" Song is an actual last name, as I have a friend who has it. I also believe music to be an important part of magic. Everything in this world has a sort of song to it, music, a rhythm.

Just my two cents, hope it helped. If not, there will be others to comment after me with ideas, I'm sure. And yes, this is the right place for this question. Don't forget to post an Introduction in the Intro section!
)(Apollo the Good)(
Banned Member

dont stress

Post by )(Apollo the Good)( »

I say try not to stress about it too much! :)

There is certainly not a race to come up with a name, and I fear that if you are pressuring yourself too much, you will end up with another name you feel unfit.

I would certainly suggest a meditation! Many believe that the Divine holds a name for you or that it comes from a God/Goddess. So try a simple meditation, starting by Grounding/Centering yourself. Perhaps call upon the God or Goddess or other dieties you wish to come into communion with. Simply ask aloud about your name and really focus on the first thing that comes to your mind, without filtering whatever you feel or see. If you feel nothing, then maybe ask for it to be revealed to you in the following days.

Another way to know is to use numerology. Add each of the single digits of your birthday. Then add the single digits of the answer together. My birthday is 12/06/1988. So I added those single digits to get 35 and then you add 3 and 5 to get 8.

Also, you can apply numerology to your name.
http://www.asiya.org/bos/magickalnamemotto.html

That link explains the technique well. For me, my name is Jordan. Adding that together, it would be 1+6+9+4+1+5=26, then I add the 2 and the 6 to get 8! I realized that my birthdate and name were numerogically identical (which is rare). So I know that 8 is a very important number that resonates my energy well. When I began researching diety names for hours, I then came across Apollo, whose description seemed to be SO much like myself. Adding his name up, it added up to 8!

I do not believe in simple "coincidence". I knew this was important and I adopted His name. :)
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

I think your handle would be a great pagan name.
PhoenixSong

Post by PhoenixSong »

:D Thanks for all the advice, guys, it helped a ton. I'll let you know when I've made my decision--as Apollo said, it is certainly not something I need to hurry into.
Thanks again!
Phoenix
[ShadowPhoenix]

Post by [ShadowPhoenix] »

I concur. Phoenix Song is a good name, but like Apollo said, you shouldn't stress over it. For some, it comes to them as though another had picked it for them. :)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”