Chaos magic

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
AP670
Banned Member

Chaos magic

Post by AP670 »

Since this is the Q&A section:

I just did a quick search about chaos magic and I really want to know more. A lot more. Theory, philsophy, practice,personal back ground, etc
From Wiki:
Although there are a few techniques unique to chaos magic (such as some forms of sigil magic), chaos magic is often highly individualistic and borrows liberally from other belief systems, due to chaos magic having a central belief that belief is a tool. Some common sources of inspiration include such diverse areas as science fiction, scientific theories, traditional ceremonial magic, neoshamanism, Eastern philosophy, world religions, and individual experimentation. Despite tremendous individual variation, chaos magicians (or "chaotes") often work with chaotic and humorous paradigms, such as the worship of Hundun from Taoism or Eris from Discordianism. They commonly also use psychedelic drugs in a practice known as chemognosticism
Wow.
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

This is fantistic.
[edit] Belief as a tool
Chaos magic claims that belief can be an active magical force. It emphasizes flexibility of belief and the ability to consciously choose ones beliefs, hoping to apply belief as a tool rather than a relatively unchanging part of ones personality.[5] Various psychological techniques are employed in order to induce flexibility of belief.[6] Other chaos magicians suggest that people need no "belief" to work magic. [7]
So whats up with this idea.
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

This sounds familiar. Am I understanding this correctly.
Magical paradigm shifting
Perhaps the most striking feature of chaos magic is the concept of the magical paradigm shift. Borrowing a term from philosopher Thomas Samuel Kuhn, Carroll made the technique of arbitrarily changing one's world view (or paradigm) of magic, a major concept of chaos magic.[4] An example of a magical paradigm shift is doing a Lovecraftian rite, followed by using a technique from an Edred Thorsson book in the following ritual. These two magical paradigms are very different, but while the individual is using one, he believes in it fully to the extent of ignoring all other (often contradictory) ones.

The shifting of magical paradigms has since found its way into the magical work of practitioners of many other magical traditions, but chaos magic remains the field where it is most developed. Changing belief systems at will is also sometimes practiced by followers of Discordianism.

Some chaos magicians think that trying unusual, and often bizarre beliefs is in itself an experience worth having and consider flexibility of belief a form of power or freedom in a cybernetic sense of the word.
I am definetly gulity of this.
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

very palatable.
Why am I thinking Kant atm?
This magical was first formulated in West Yorkshire, England in the 1970s.[1] Through a variety of techniques often reminiscent of Western ceremonial magic or neoshamanism, many practitioners believe they can change both their subjective experience and objective reality, though some chaos magicians dispute that magic occurs through paranormal means.
Ohh yeah, and what do they say instead?
HonorRose
Banned Member

Post by HonorRose »

*is laughing in a corner*

Having a conversation with ourselves now are we, Mick?

It's true though. Believing in the power of something is what gives it its power, I'm sure. When you believe in something you manifest energy (this is usually unintentional, although in the case of spell work it's often the main objective) but either way you end up literally building something through your attention.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Post by Release.the.bats »

I was going to respond to this thread.
But, i'm not sure if your asking anything outwardly for an answer...
Alicat
Banned Member

Post by Alicat »

AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

So I am thinking some kant and multiverse.

Their exist two realities. Real reality and percieved reality. These are part of my universe, which is a part of the multi verse.
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

HonorRose wrote:*is laughing in a corner*

You have a cute elaugh.
HonorRose wrote:
Having a conversation with ourselves now are we, Mick?
Maybe. Is that bad? I was just doing my reaserch, sharing my reaserch, and starting a topic?
[ShadowPhoenix]

Post by [ShadowPhoenix] »

atheist of peace wrote:So I am think some kant and multiverse.

Their exist two realities. Real reality and percieved reality. These are part of my universe, which is a part of the multi verse.

The Matrix has us?! Haha...interesting topic, btw HonorRose, intelligentededed people frequently talk to themselves! :)
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

Release.the.bats wrote:I was going to respond to this thread.
But, i'm not sure if your asking anything outwardly for an answer...
Yes and No. Idono. It was a lot of things. Feel free to join me/us.
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

Alicat wrote:I. I think chaosmatrix.org has a huge collection of online articles on chaos magic if you're interested in it.
Great thanks I'll check em out. I'll see if I can reply to the rest in a few.
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

That wich isn't, is?
There is no way to accurately describe Chaos Magic, any more than one can accurately describe the Tao. "That which can be described is not the sacred Tao", as the old sage said.
http://www.boudicca.de/max4-e.htm
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

Im feelen this too.
The popular modern interpretation of the word as being a synonym for "disorder" is a recent and somewhat misleading development. Both order and disorder are themselves manifestations of the Primal Chaos. The original meaning had more in common with what the Eastern mystics call the Tao. I think this is not at all accidental.
http://www.boudicca.de/max4-e.htm

So I see Taoism dropped a lot. Need to find out more about that conection.

I am just waiting for The Art of War to get mentioned. lol
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

You could call me AoC. lol
So we Chaosists call this primal connectivity "Chaos" instead of "God" or some other traditional name to remove any anthropomorphic ideas from something that is so totally un-human as to defy comprehension -- at least by intellectual means.
Awesome. Extrem sexed up atheism? (Who read my intro post?"

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”