What is the law of Attraction?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
nick11189

What is the law of Attraction?

Post by nick11189 »

I recently recieved an email that said i should learn all about the law of attraction. Does anyone know what that is?
)(Apollo the Good)(
Banned Member

the secret

Post by )(Apollo the Good)( »

The Law of Attraction is the basis of the book/DVD, "The Secret". In it, the author Rhonda Byrne presents the idea that because there is scientific proof that every thought has actual physical force (able to be recorded/constantly radiates from us)that our present reality is a reflection of the energy we send out into the universe. The Law of Attraction states that "like attracts like". Therefore, if all you focus on is what your life is missing or what you don't want to take place, then your life force will simply radiate waves of negative energy and you will, thus, receive what you focused on back . It is compared to a drive-thru window in fast food. Your "cosmic order" is placed by where your focus lies. In time, you get exactly what you asked for and the same energy you sent out is sent back to you.
It's basically like, whatever you focus on, expands.
For example, say I was drowning in debt that I was have trouble repaying. If all I think is about how terrible my debt is and how much I don't want it, then it will quickly grow.
Rather, we should focus on what we have now. We need to realize what positive things we have around us. The book also states that nothing new and grand is going to enter into your life, until you are thankful for what you have; only then can positive change take place. Also, the book stresses that the universe does not hear the word "don't". Do not think of all the negativity you don't want in your life. If you think "I don't want debt", or "I don't want to lose my job", all the universe is receiving is the energy you send out, which is focused on debt and losing your job. So guess what is going to happen??
:) The whole concept is fascinating! In short, the Law of Attraction is "like attracts like". So focus on positivity and love around u and the miracles that you know, without a doubt, will enter your life, and that is exactly what the universe, and the Divine, shall deliver. :)
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Ahh! I had no idea.

That sounds really interesting :)

Do you possibly have a link where we could read more about it?
.You are Beautiful.
Azura

Post by Azura »

Ooooo... "The Secret".... I <3 "The Secret".... I always try to use it, sometimes it works for me and more often it doesn't. =[ .... It's because I'm not believing enough and I am still focusing on misery and sadness and such. Even if I try not to, it is still hard to completely banish all negative thought. After so much time of knowing only negative things, it takes time and effort to re-wire your brain for positive. All f the subconscious negative things keep "The Secret" from working..... I think witchcraft is essentially "The Secret"... just with some other things to go along with it... =]
)(Apollo the Good)(
Banned Member

I agree

I absolulely agree with you, azura:) I think the Secret is the heart for Witchcraft/paganism, especially in spell working. You believe wholeheartedly and focus with your entire spirit on what you want and the universe has no choice but to grant it to you. The downside is it does the same for all negative energy. :P
I just find it so interesting that The Law of Attraction was not formed by a Wiccan, but the basis for both is the same. That just helps me believe even stronger in the the power within and around all of us and how we can affect it to make change.

http://www.thesecret.tv/

That is the link to the offical, "The Secret", website.

There are many articles over the internet over it and such. I saw it on Oprah and literally took notes. I also have the audiobook on my Ipod. :)
thetouch

Post by thetouch »

yup, i also recieve that email... that was nice
may
Athena
Blessed you

Post by LaFiamma »

Azura wrote:Ooooo... "The Secret".... I <3 "The Secret".... I always try to use it, sometimes it works for me and more often it doesn't. =[ .... It's because I'm not believing enough and I am still focusing on misery and sadness and such. Even if I try not to, it is still hard to completely banish all negative thought. After so much time of knowing only negative things, it takes time and effort to re-wire your brain for positive. All f the subconscious negative things keep "The Secret" from working..... I think witchcraft is essentially "The Secret"... just with some other things to go along with it... =]
*sigh* I have to say- I really loathe The Secret and I can't believe the amount of money that people spend on the books and videos, it all boils down to one idea- think good things and you'll get what you want, think bad things and you'll get what you don't want. This is highly flawed and

No. It is not your fault that "The Secret" is not always working for you. The truth is that positive thinking isn't going to get you all happy and good stuff in life- just like negative thinking isn't going to guarantee you a life of misery.

It really isn't possible to banish all negative thought- and it's not healthy to try, it just ends p getting repressed. What you could do is try to find outlets for those negative thoughts and feelings, find a way to make them productive, or get them out in a healthy manner, but we are all human, and negative thoughts and feelings are part of the full range of human emotion. If we weren't meant to have negative thoughts and feel "negative" emotions (I use "negative" in regard to emotions because as I see it, emotions are emotions- certain ways of feeling may not be very pleasant but they're generally perfectly normal and natural.), very few people would think them or feel them.

Thinking and feeling positive things certainly is a lot more pleasant than negative, but it's not going to keep unwanted things from happening- honestly, I think that The Secret is very much a blame the victim philosophy- bad things don't happen to people just because they think of bad things- for example, a rape victim does not bring it on herself because she was afraid of getting raped- similarly thinking that one is positively safe and sound and happy and all is right with the world would not have prevented that rape.

As I said, this is a very blame the victim way of thinking all wrapped up in pretty packaging. sure there are things that happen that you can prevent, and you can certainly bring good things to yourself- but- I can't say this enough- if unwanted things happen to you, IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT FOR NOT THINKING ENOUGH POSITIVE THOUGHTS OR THINKING TOO MANY NEGATIVE THOUGHTS. (This isn't to say "it's not your fault" in the sense that you have no responsibility- by and large you are generally responsible for what happens to you, but some things are beyond your control, some things can't be prevented and in any case- not/thinking positively enough is not the problem.)

By all means, think and feel good things as much as you can- it's certainly much more pleasant than the alternative. But don't be afraid of negative thoughts and feelings when they come up- don't repress then, find a healthy way to work with them or let them out. And above all, don't blame yourself if "The Secret" doesn't work for you all the time because it just isn't realistic.

Regarding your comment on re-wiring yourself to think positively after knowing nothing but negative for a long time- talking to a therapist or counselor might be a good idea, especially if this is as ingrained in you as it sounds. I hate to have to say this, but blaming yourself for The Secret not working is just perpetuating that negativity.

/ramble
[HangedMan]

Post by [HangedMan] »

LaFiamma wrote: No. It is not your fault that "The Secret" is not always working for you. The truth is that positive thinking isn't going to get you all happy and good stuff in life- just like negative thinking isn't going to guarantee you a life of misery.
i disagree. when you REALLY focus on "the secret," things do happen. however, as i've noticed for myself, i agree that it IS nearly impossible to honestly always stay in that state of mind.

but it does work.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I've had great success using The Secret (the law of attraction). My life turned around in a fantastic way when I changed my mindset. But it has been difficult to completely change all my negative thinking patterns. I still have some health problems that I've not been able to think away, but I've actually not tried very hard to do so either. Some health problems I had went away miraculously with a simple prayer to the Goddess. Definitely keep your mind open and learn about the law of attraction. It has changed my life dramatically. I recommend it to everyone I know.

Bright Blessings,
Alicat
Banned Member

Post by Alicat »

Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I have them in ebook format but I haven't read them. My friend says that "Think and Grow Rich" has some good information about using your sexual energy to create what you want. It also explains all about the law of attraction. If anyone wants to read it you can download it here:

http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/e ... owRich.pdf

Bright Blessings,
nick11189

Post by nick11189 »

You know that its hard for me to really believe in this kind of thing...I grew up in a Christian family, and all ideas about this stuff has been weeded out, and I have been trying this for a couple of weeks; it isn't working to well, actually not at all. Any tips or tricks to try, or easy ways to prove to myself that The Secret really works?
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Post by Release.the.bats »

Well you can't really "prove" to yourself it works.
It's a lot like magick, the largest problem beginners have is coming to terms with it's "possibility" or "existence". As long as you think "this is stupid" or "this doesn't/won't work" you'll get exactly that. Nothing.
Alicat
Banned Member

Post by Alicat »

)(Apollo the Good)(
Banned Member

more

The Secret does also state that one must 1) ask for what they desire and put their positive focus in that direction 2) Put action and work into what you are working toward and believe that you will receive if you work hard and believe 3) Receive what you have desired

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”