The Laws(Manipulation, Three, etc..)

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Silverslayer

The Laws(Manipulation, Three, etc..)

Post by Silverslayer »

I'd just like to know more about them. I've heard about them in several posts, but I've never seen them explained. I know somewhat about the Law of Karma, and Manipulation. Karma is just do bad things, and you'll pay for it, if I'm not mistaken..And Manipulation has to do with not forcing your will upon people, I've been told. But I don't understand the extent of these laws, and I haven't any idea about the other ones. Anyone care to expand my knowledge :D?
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Re: The Laws(Manipulation, Three, etc..)

Post by LaFiamma »

Silverslayer wrote:I know somewhat about the Law of Karma, and Manipulation. Karma is just do bad things, and you'll pay for it, if I'm not mistaken..
There are a lot of mistaken sources out there that tell you this. Probably more sources than will give the true definition of karma (being an eastern concept, you might want to have a look at some Buddhist sources for a better explaination of Karma) "do bad thigns and you'll pay for it" is not karma.

Karma is the results of your actions over multiple lifetimes. It is that simple (and complicated) It is not "what goes around comes around" or "whatever you put out comes back to you" as a lot of folks like to say.

As it was once explained to me: Karma is like this: If you pour water on the earth at your feet, pour long enough and you will eventually be standing in a mud puddle.

Silverslayer wrote:And Manipulation has to do with not forcing your will upon people, I've been told.
I have never heard of a "law of manipulation"
Silverslayer wrote: But I don't understand the extent of these laws, and I haven't any idea about the other ones. Anyone care to expand my knowledge :D?
What do you mean by the extent?

Which other ones?
Silverslayer

Post by Silverslayer »

Well, I'm not sure I get exactly what you're saying by the Karma thing. Maybe try a different approach at explaining it for me :)?

And; by extent I mean, what they entail, exactly what you're not supposed to do, what's supposed to happen if you do one of these things, etc. Basically I don't know everything about the law(s), and I want to.

And by other ones, I mean any that might exist. I don't know if they do or do not.

LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

Silverslayer wrote:Well, I'm not sure I get exactly what you're saying by the Karma thing. Maybe try a different approach at explaining it for me :)?
Um...I don't know how to put it any simpler.

Karma, from wikipedia: "Karma refers to the totality of our actions and their concomitant reactions in this and previous lives, all of which determines our future."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma (maybe reading the article will help?)

Okay, so basically what I was trying to say..there are a couple of very common misconceptions about karma.

One of them is that karma is "what goes around comes around"- that's not what it is.

One of them is that karma is that karma=the threefold law- that's not what it is either.

And since you're asking about other laws...the big one you tend to hear about in pagan circles, well some of them anyway, is the threefold law.

Threefold law: I know of three interpretations of this. Two of them make some sense to me. One of them, I think is utterly ridiculous:

first interpretation: (from what I've seen, this is the most common interpretation) anything you do will come back to you three times. This is the one I find absolutely laughable. There's no 3x magnifying mirror out there bouncing everything back to you.

The second and third interpretations make sense to me, and I think can be taken together if you want.

second interpretation: (from what I've seen, this is the next most common) Everything you do affects you on three levels- physical, mental/emotional and spiritual.

third interpretation: (I've only ever seen one, maybe two people give this one) everything you do happens in the present, becomes a part of your past and affects your future.

Silverslayer wrote:And; by extent I mean, what they entail, exactly what you're not supposed to do, what's supposed to happen if you do one of these things, etc. Basically I don't know everything about the law(s), and I want to.

And by other ones, I mean any that might exist. I don't know if they do or do not.

Depends who you ask I guess. As far as I'm concerned, the only laws I really need to be worried about are the laws made by the government, and the laws of physics.

Are you following a particular religion or tradition? They all seem to have their own laws, rules and guidelines.
Silverslayer

Post by Silverslayer »

I'm not sure quite yet if I'm going to follow a religion, or just choose to believe in what I specifically believe in. If nothing else though, I'll just always have to follow my morals :).

Thanks for the help though :D. Anyone else have ideas on this?
akumaxkami

Post by akumaxkami »

Old thread is old, but I want to add to this.

A simple way of explaining karma is "cause and effect."

That all of your actions do have consequences, whether in this life or the next. What really matters is how you deal with those consequences.

An example of karma:

Cause: You steal a candy bar from a store.

Several things could happen now.

Effect: You get caught.

Effect: You feel guilty and return it.

Effect: You get away with it and nothing happens.

None of these "effects" have anything to do with a universal cosmic force dishing out punishment....it's just that everything you do (or don't do) creates a reaction.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”