Choosing / finding a name.

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
greycat

Choosing / finding a name.

Post by greycat »

I was never happy with my first name, and don't use it any more. I chose a new name for myself that I am happy with. I am happy with my birth middle name.
My older sister who passed over had my grand mothers middle name as her middle name I always liked / was attracted to the name. Is it wrong to want to add it to my name ?
The name is Alvina, which means friend of the elves. I love my sister, my grand mother and the name.
I want to use the name as a middle name but don't want to disrespect by taking it. Any advice / points of view will be appreciated.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Choosing / finding a name.

Post by Firebird »

Can you talk to your mom about it? I imagine it could cause confusion in the extended family. But then again it is not completely unheard of to have more than one child with the same name.
What about using it as your magic name?
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I can see adopting it as a middle name as a way of remembering the persons who previously held it; that’s why we get named after some one, right? And whether the add on is taken as an affectionate nick name, as a legal name change or as FBF suggests as a magical name, the honor remains.
greycat

Post by greycat »

Firebirdflys and SpiritTalker my parents have both passed, I am not close to anyone else in my family. Most of them have disowned me , no great loss really. The blame for that is everyone including myself.
I will just think of the name as mine for now, see how it fits with me calling it mine. If it seems to fit then later on I can add it in a more formal way. Thank you for your insight.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”