Witchcraft, Witches and the Occult in the Media (Stimulating

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
OliversTwisted94

Witchcraft, Witches and the Occult in the Media (Stimulating

Post by OliversTwisted94 »

So, I have a guilty little pleasure.

I am a HUGE junkie for supernatural TV shows. I watch Grimm (NBC), Supernatural (CW), Hemlock Grove (Netflix Original Series) and Salem (WGN America). And really, I feel like I should be offended by, or at least concerned about, our consistent negative portrayal in pop culture. Grimm paints us as a wicked, manipulative, partially-decomposed race of non-humans known as Hexenbiester. Supernatural goes the classic route of linking us to devil worship and selling our souls for good juju.

Hemlock Grove seems to be the LEAST offensive because everything in the show is really damn cryptic (i.e.- Roman Godfrey, the Upir*- or Ukrainian vampire, for those who aren't familiar with the traditional folklore- was born into an incredibly wealthy family. He has never wanted for a single material possession, and yet- because he doesn't know what he is, doesn't know what he needs, what his body needs- is still wanting something MOAR, but he doesn't know what or why... until he learns what he really is. It's very poetic, has a crap-ton of double meanings, and is so deeply cryptic that the whole witch/psychic thing is actually a frame for an archetype. But I digress....)

And then there's Salem, which really does use a tragic period of History (witch trials) as a fuel for entertaining television. Don't get me wrong, the acting is beautifully done, and of course the lead male (Shane West as John Alden) and lead Female (Mary Sibley, portrayed by Janet Montgomery) are very attractive. The whole concept of the show is basically taking a large chunk of history, a dash of common Puritan values, and the plot of "The Crucible", and shaking well til thoroughly mixed to create a TV show. The twist? The girls and boys in this show are actually guilty of hardcore, old school notions of witchcraft (with demons and the toad familiars and everything)!!! *le gasp*. Like I said, I should probably be at least concerned that our images in pop culture haven't improved; but call me a sucker for cheap entertainment, I can't bring myself to be offended.

Any thoughts?
Chalice

Re: Witchcraft, Witches and the Occult in the Media (Stimula

Post by Chalice »

The trouble is,... there are a lot of wicked witches out there. A whole bunch are unethical, egotistical and curse everyone they can like children having tantrums,

There are those of us, who wish only to do good, but are we the majority?
Witchcraft & OBOD Druidry.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

Chalice wrote:The trouble is,... there are a lot of wicked witches out there. A whole bunch are unethical, egotistical and curse everyone they can like children having tantrums,

There are those of us, who wish only to do good, but are we the majority?
^^there are a ton of wicked witches, Christians, Muslims, Atheist, etc. I think there will always be bad people, no matter what faith they follow. Wicca/Witchcraft is just the lesser understood, so I guess we all must be evil to the masses, lol. Then they few truely wicked ones make it that much worse for us.

I love all of those shows as well. Supernatural has got to be the best show ever! I never get offended at these shows, I mean according to them all witches can fly, shape shift, shimmer... wish I could do that! lol. Hardly any of them call them Wiccans, or anything like that.
What really gets me upset is when the actual news starts running their mouth like they know something. Anyone remember when fox news made a huge fuss about Wiccans a few years ago? I believe that they called us all middle aged midwifes with access to patchuli. Ha.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Iset

Post by Iset »

Let's face it though, people love to follow the incorrect archetypes they were fed instead of researching and finding out the truth. I always take anything, even 'news' with a grain of salt.
I've changed my username from RisingPhoenix to my craft name Iset!
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

try watching Charmed if you want bs about wiccans specifically. Salem I gave up bcuz I hated the ideas about witches. at least Charmed I watched the whole 8 seasons so much that I know by heart every episode. Supernatural's a favorite, maybe bcuz it mostly has angels and ghosts; not just witches. try Constantine, it has demon possesion and he casts them out; it has angels as well. also the Witches of East End show; where the mother's imortal and she has the same 2 girls lifetime after lifetime. they die at a specific age, and the mother has those 2 same looking girls again.
*Blessed Be*
Badgerstate

Post by Badgerstate »

Thats why its popular culture: people just follow the same old stereotypes. I dont watch any of those shows, although Sleepy Hollow does have witches/warlocks on it, some of which are good and some of which are evil. I do like on that show how they kind of got the Katrina character right, in that she's a white witch who draws he powers from nature.
moonlitchou

Post by moonlitchou »

I fell in love with The Secret Circle and Witches of East End :)
bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

I loved all witchy movies when I was younger. Now, I've enjoyed The Coven, and Sleepy Hollow. I have on my list to watch Salem. I realize that some shows make witches look absolutely terrible & "evil" but I ignore that and just enjoy the show. It is a plus when the witch is kind and nature loving.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”