Biography on Witches

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
azriel

Biography on Witches

Post by azriel »

This is a small documentary by BIO.com that investigates the history of witchcraft and it's modern practice. :flyingwitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcLVkrWxR1Y

This is part 1 and the video has been separated into 4 parts. The uploader has all four parts.

An interesting watch. and I am sure that everyone can recognize some of the featured guests!

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
rainbowsofiris

Re: Biography on Witches

Post by rainbowsofiris »

This was a very interesting and respectful documentary as it didn't mock and told interesting anecdotes of others.

Though I found it interesting that there was an "official uniform/traditional wear of witches" of black robes which I haven't come a cross in my reading's in books and on this site. Which I feel conflicted over as I believed through my readings and personal that colours played a huge part in earthly beliefs.
azriel

Post by azriel »

I think the "black robe" uniform is a way to regain power from a symbol that is usually attributed to the negative depiction of a Witch. Not everyone uses black. I think the material of the fabric and the color, as you said, is important to align with the purpose and belief of the practitioner.

I can only hope that more documentaries such as this one are made to bring more positive awareness.

Azriel
^-^~

Oasis~~~Gackt
Siona

Post by Siona »

"...but not all witches practice Wicca, is it one of the many misconceptions about witches."
I'm always happy to see that information presented when talking about witches, since it's one of the misconceptions I come across the most within paganism/witchcraft itself.

That said, there was a fair bit of generalization as well. I know they're trying to present witchcraft in a more positive light, which I truly appreciate, but it's also sort of inaccurate to say witches don't ever cause harm, that they all recognise the threefold law, and that sort of thing, since there are so many different branches of witchcraft, and that's just not true for all witches. Same with the idea that a spell is just a prayer - I know it puts it out there in a way that someone unfamiliar with spellwork might have an easy time understanding, but again, it's not really accurate. Or even that all witches follow the same eight holidays. I know I'm probably being a bit picky, and there's only so much they can put into the final cut, but at the same time often just slight rewording is enough to put the correct information out there.
rainbowsofiris wrote:Though I found it interesting that there was an "official uniform/traditional wear of witches" of black robes which I haven't come a cross in my reading's in books and on this site.
There's no 'official' anything of witches, which is one of the things I quite like about witchcraft. ;) Witches have never had an official or even traditional garb. Many classical depictions of witches are often nude, and there are some who practice that way, some who wear robes, other fancy outfits, recreations of historical clothing of different cultures, or even just in their day to day clothes.
azriel

Post by azriel »

As with most documentaries, it reveals some information on the expected audience rather than simply the subject matter. I believe that, while explaining about witchcraft, the documentary was describing wicca for the most part, and there is nothing wrong with that.

It would be nice if a small series was made to bring to light the basics of various paths, and look more at the history of witchcraft or nature -based religions throughout the world.

But this small documentary was a decent foundation, and hopefully we will begin to see more interesting and thought provoking informational documentaries.

Azriel
^-^~

Oasis~~~Gackt
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Agreed, there was a lot of generalization in this documentary, but hey - the target audience are people who probably know nothing (except the "evil witch" stereotype) about witchcraft so we can't really complain. I think the documentary does the job - it shows people that witchcraft is not about worshipping Satan or whatever.
What I actually liked about the documentary was that they presented how the witch stereotype evolved. Back in medieval times (and eariler) when science was almost non-existant people were afraid of what they couldn't really understand and that's basically how the "evil witch" image came into being. When you think about it you'll notice that even though science has evolved and we no longer have to come up with myths to explain our reality, the medieval mindset and stereotype about witches remained almost untouched - which is laughable and only points out how ridiculous it is.
What made me laugh though was that they mostly referred to witchcraft as doing spells and rituals for healing, healing and... healing. :D

And the "official robes" thing - there's no such thing in solitary path but it's worth pointing out that almost all of the witches presented in this documentary were in covens and some covens indeed have their traditional uniforms, mostly used during rituals.
HazelQ.boggslyon

Post by HazelQ.boggslyon »

Must watch thank you will look for it.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”