Outlander

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
GreenGato

Outlander

Post by GreenGato »

Does anyone else watch Outlander?

I read the first book and really enjoyed it's depiction of magic. The druids are women. The healers are women. The persecuted 'witches' are also women.

I loved the solstice ritual the druids preformed at the standing stones. I thought it was graceful and positive.

The current and themes of supernatural and magic are an undercurrent to the show just as they were an undercurrent in Highlander life in the 1700s. They do a good job balancing the fear people would have had about magic with the still reliance on the casual charms for love and health.

Love to chat about it if anyone else is into the show!
Zale

Re: Outlander

Post by Zale »

Never watched it however if druids are in there I want to see it.
Chalice

Post by Chalice »

Druids are in it for 2 minute sin the first episode. Other than that it's an okay show. Except for the 'narrating'.

The wife & I watch it every week.

I highly recommend, especially for those of us with Scottish bloodlines.
Witchcraft & OBOD Druidry.
Zale

Post by Zale »

Cool will do
candycosmos

Post by candycosmos »

I love the series! Definitely mentions of witchcraft, but that's not really what I love it for. I'm on the second book and just am in love with the way the author combines history and romance with a little sci-fi and still got it to be on the general fiction shelves! It's a little bit of a guilty pleasure read as it's quite gratuitous with the "romance" bit, but the historical aspect is definitely very present. I think the show did a great job with the casting and I'm loving that so far too!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I've been recording it. So far, I've watched the first episode. Life keeps getting in the way of my TV watching. We finally got our seriously endangered little old man out of his apt and into a nursing home. It's the one time I've been glad to see someone go to long term care. His girlfriend was a horrible nasty thing, and she kept interfering in his care.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
azriel

Post by azriel »

My family and I watch this series and we enjoy it!

It is interesting seeing the medical practices and the herbs that are used though! I learn a few things every episode.

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”