Watch out, UK! Exorcists hating on Harry Potter & Pagans

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Pinkpower_80

Re: Watch out, UK! Exorcists hating on Harry Potter & Pagans

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Elisa wrote:.
Xiao Rong wrote:Check out this article on some teen girls who are hell bent on cleansing the UK of occultism and magic...
Part of a larger trend happening in UK. Sites (like this one) will start getting "filtered" out.
UK Censoring All "Esoteric" Sites

I signed that one. How shitty some people are. Religious discrimination at it's finest!
MistressOfTheMoon

Post by MistressOfTheMoon »

What a bunch of psychos :s I'll sign the petition even if I'm not from the UK...
"For the Spirit lies within."
~ Ada S.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I noticed that all the girls could be considered pretty. I think that's something they're counting on to gain popularity. I bet that if these girls weren't so attractive, we wouldn't be hearing about this. It seems that sex sells even in the Christian world.
I signed the petition because if pointless bans like this are ok in one place, it could spread like wildfire to other places. It's an infringement on religion and freedom.
This guy may have taught these girls the Bible, but he really dropped the ball on teaching them to tell fact from fiction.
'sexually transmitted demons'
:lol: My favorite line from the article.
"Harry is using this magic for good. So here we have the dangerous idea that you can use this magic for good or bad. Whereas in reality, all magic is bad, because you're getting your power from Satan," said Brynne.
I think dear old Satan might have screwed me over because I have no invisibility cloak, nothing levitates around here and I can't get my broom as far off the ground as Harry can. :P
DPhoenix wrote:Oh yes... I remember the days when I was vividly warned about DnD! Because apparently Satanic High Priests use it as a means to actively search out naive children for their nefarious purposes!
Just the other day, my boyfriend said that he got a similar warning from his mom about D&D. :|
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:I noticed that all the girls could be considered pretty. I think that's something they're counting on to gain popularity. I bet that if these girls weren't so attractive, we wouldn't be hearing about this. It seems that sex sells even in the Christian world.
Absolutely true. That's a quick way to piss off a Christian. Maybe I'll share your thoughts on my Facebook page. My friends list would dwindle about 70% LOL.
'sexually transmitted demons'
:lol: My favorite line from the article.
|[/quote].
Mine too :lol:
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I noticed that all the girls could be considered pretty. I think that's something they're counting on to gain popularity. I bet that if these girls weren't so attractive, we wouldn't be hearing about this. It seems that sex sells even in the Christian world.
You know, one thing that struck me was how much the preacher was pretty consciously trying to pattern the girls' image into these action heroines, in the style of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in the way he brought up the fact that they were trained in karate AND demon exorcising. The way that they're always presented as a group of three is fairly reminiscent of Charmed, ironically enough, even though it's clear that only one of the girls really does any talking whatsoever (and it's really the dad running the show). It's especially interesting given that even these backwater mining towns in Eastern Europe are entirely aware of the way in which this preacher is very transparently mimicking American pop culture to popularize his gimmick.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Xiao Rong wrote:You know, one thing that struck me was how much the preacher was pretty consciously trying to pattern the girls' image into these action heroines, in the style of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in the way he brought up the fact that they were trained in karate AND demon exorcising. The way that they're always presented as a group of three is fairly reminiscent of Charmed, ironically enough, even though it's clear that only one of the girls really does any talking whatsoever (and it's really the dad running the show). It's especially interesting given that even these backwater mining towns in Eastern Europe are entirely aware of the way in which this preacher is very transparently mimicking American pop culture to popularize his gimmick.
I can't help but shake my head and wonder if there is going to be an increase of Buffies running about on Halloween because of these people.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”